Bake Chicken With Rice is a special recipe. It’s a combination of two types of chicken. People learn how to bake chicken with rice by making this recipe, and they think this comes from long time ago by someone who is an expert in cooking. Bake Chicken with Rice is a simple and easy recipe. The main ingredients of this recipe are chicken, tomatoes and onions. This recipe tastes best when served hot.
Paprika Chicken & Rice Bake
Sometimes the best things come in one pot! This baked chicken and rice dish saves you the cleanup without skimping on flavor. After you quickly pan fry your seasoned chicken, remove it and cook garlic and onions in the leftover juices. Add rice and broth, cook everything, and top with the chicken before baking for another 35 minutes (optional: broil the chicken separately to get a crispier skin.) You’ll be left with a mountain of food so delicious, you’ll meal prep this super easy recipe at least once a week forever.
for 5 servings
- 5 chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ½ cup red onion(75 g), diced
- 1 cup long grain rice(200 g)
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth(360 mL)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- In a large bowl, evenly season chicken thighs with salt, pepper, paprika, and parsley.
- On high, heat olive oil in a oven-proof pot and place chicken thighs, skin-side down, in the hot oil. Cook 5-6 minutes or the thighs develop brown crispy skin and flip over.
- Cook an additional 5-6 minutes to brown the other side and remove from the pot.
- Add the garlic and onions to the pot, and cook until the onions are transparent.
- Pour in the rice and chicken broth to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Stir well, bringing to a boil.
- Add the chicken thighs back into the pot, skin-side up, on top of the rice, bring back to a boil and cover with a lid.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked.
- NOTE: For a crispy skin, remove chicken thighs and broil.
Chicken and Rice Bake
Total 1hr 15min
This savoury traybake recipe gives me so much joy. All the magic happens in the oven, leaving no mess to clear up on the stove. Because the rice is cooked in the tray, you end up with lovely toasted bits as well as fluffy grains. And the chicken, rubbed with spices, is cooked right on top. All it needs is the family to eat it, and they are never too far away.
|For the rice:|
|oil, for greasing|
|1||large onion, finely diced|
|3||cloves of garlic, chopped|
|50g||clarified butter, melted (or butter)|
|2||cardamom pods, seeds only|
|650ml||hot chicken stock (or boiling water)|
|1||large handful of fresh coriander, chopped|
|For the chicken:|
|8||chicken drumsticks, with skin on|
|1 tsp||garlic powder|
|1 tsp||onion powder|
|1 tsp||cayenne pepper|
Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6. Lightly grease a large roasting tray and put in the onion and garlic. Drizzle over the melted butter and give the onion a stir. Bake for 10–15 minutes, making sure it doesn’t begin to burn. Keep an eye on it – if the edges are catching too quickly, take the tray out and give it all another stir before putting it back in.
While the onion is cooking, rub the drumsticks with the oil and mix the salt, garlic, onion and cayenne in a bowl. Cover the drumsticks all over with the spicy rub.
Take out the tray of onion and add the rice and cardamom seeds. Stir the rice into the onion mix and put the drumsticks on top. Pour in the stock. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Take out of the oven, lift the chicken drumsticks on to a side plate, then add the peas to the rice and lightly stir them through. Replace the chicken pieces and bake without the foil for another 15 minutes.
Stir in the chopped coriander and serve.
Baked Chicken and Rice
Chicken and Rice – a flavorful recipe including tender, pan seared chicken thighs and seasoned white rice all cooked together in one pot in the oven!
Easy One Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe
This is a quintessential chicken dinner that’s perfect for busy days and lazy days. It’s a classic meal made with basic ingredients that’s always set to satisfy!
One pot dinners are some of my favorites. Not only are they a breeze but I love how the flavors of everything really just melds together so well.
And this chicken and rice recipe is no exception. The chicken thighs, along with the aromatics infuse so much flavor into the rice as it all simmers together in the oven.
Then when it’s topped off with a bright pop of fresh lemon and finished with a fair sprinkling of parsley you know it’s destined to be delicious!
Another comfort food staple for the recipe book!
Chicken and Rice Ingredients
- Chicken thighs: Use bone-in, skin-on thighs for this recipe.
- Olive oil: Another neutral flavored oil will work fine here.
- Salt and pepper
- Red onion: Yellow onion works great here as well.
- Carrots: Dice these up small.
- Celery: Also dice the celery small.
- Garlic: Stick with fresh for best flavor. As always be careful not to burn it or it can taste bitter.
- Low-sodium chicken broth: Another option for even more flavor is to use homemade chicken stock. I always make it out of leftover rotisserie chicken bones and skin, usually in the crockpot.
- Long grain white rice: I usually just use standard long grain white rice but jasmine rice would be another delicious option.
- Lemon juice: If you have fresh go with that for best flavor. Lime can be substituted in a pinch.
- Italian seasoning: Such a great all-purpose herb seasoning blend. If needed just use 3/4 tsp dried oregano 3/4 tsp basil and 1/2 tsp thyme.
- Paprika: I just use sweet paprika but if you’d like a smokey flavor to the dish then smoked paprika may be used.
- Parsley: Preferably go with fresh but if needed 1 Tbsp dried can be used.
Scroll below for ingredient amounts and directions.
How to Make Baked Chicken and Rice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat olive oil a large oven safe pot over medium-high heat (I use a 6 quart enameled pot).
- Dab thighs dry with paper towels, season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place thighs in pot skin side down, leaving space around each thigh. Let cook until slightly browned, about 3 – 4 minutes. Turn and continue and cook 2 – 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate.
- Drain off most of the fat then return pot to medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery, saute 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Pour in chicken broth and lemon juice and bring mixture to a boil.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl stir together Italian seasoning and paprika. Season both sides of chicken with seasoning.
- Add rice into pot once broth reaches a boil, give it a quick stir. Remove from heat, place thighs on top of rice mixture. Cover pot with snug fitting oven safe lid.
- Bake chicken and rice in pot until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes.
- Remove thighs from rice, add parsley to rice and fluff with a fork. Serve warm.
Can I Use Chicken Breasts?
With some modification this could work with bone-in, skin on chicken breasts as well you just won’t be able to fit as many. Maybe 4 at the most if they are on the smaller side. Then you may want to remove early if needed, as always just check temp to 165 degrees in center.
Is it Healthy?
If you trim thighs of excess fat and pull off the chicken skin before eating then you’ve got yourself a pretty healthy chicken and rice dinner.
What Goes with Chicken and Rice?
A side dish like a salad, or steamed vegetables are a great option here.
Tips for the Best Baked Chicken and Rice
- Don’t skip browning the chicken before baking. This adds lot of flavor.
- Add fresh lemon and garlic. This really brightens up an otherwise bland chicken and rice dinner.
- Season chicken with herbs and spices to add extra flavor.
- Wait to add the spices until after you’ve seared the chicken, otherwise it will just blacken.
- Switch up the seasoning: Try other seasoning blends or herbs.
- Add a Tex-Mex flavor: Season rice with lime juice, finish with cilantro, and go with a taco-style seasoning on the chicken.
- Add other vegetables: Try sneaking in other vegetables like bell peppers or mushrooms.