You don’t have to be a fancy foodie to create a tasty meal. This Baked Chicken With Bread Crumbs Recipe is so easy, it’s probably the type of recipe you can whip up on a weeknight when the urge to eat out hits. As much as I love to spend hours in the kitchen practicing my pie pastry making prowess and using my French culinary skills, there are just not enough hours in the day to do so.
Oven-Fried Chicken Tenders
- Prep10 Min
- Total30 Min
You can make anything more delicious, even an all-time family favorite with these easy-to-make-easier-to-finish oven-fried chicken tenders. They’re the perfect recipe to put together in no time! The not-so-secret secret ingredients for these homemade chicken tenders are… More +
- 1/4cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1tablespoon water
- 1cup Progresso™ plain or Italian style panko crispy bread crumbs
- 1/2cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/4lb (20 oz) chicken breast tenders (from two 14-oz packages)
- Favorite dipping sauce, if desired
- 1Heat oven to 425°F. Line cookie sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray.
- 2In shallow dish, place flour. In another shallow dish, beat egg and water. In third shallow dish, mix bread crumbs and cheese. Coat chicken with flour; dip into egg mixture, then coat with bread crumb mixture. Place on cookie sheet.
- 3Bake 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink in center and coating is golden brown. Serve with dipping sauce.
Tips from the Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1A quick dredging in the flour, then egg before the final panko-Parmesan dip guarantees that the crispy coating will stick to the chicken once they’re baked.
- tip 2Get air circulating for crunch—arrange the coated tenders on a wire cooling rack that has been sprayed with cooking spray on a rimmed baking pan. Bake in the hot oven until golden brown.
- tip 3Have fun with dips. Mix a spoonful of basil pesto in a good mayonnaise, some plain Greek yogurt with a lot of chopped fresh dill and lemon zest, ranch dressing with crumbled bacon and lots of freshly ground pepper stirred in—or just straight up barbecue sauce.
- tip 4For extra-crispy tenders, drizzle them with a couple of tablespoons of melted butter before baking.
330 Calories, 18g Total Fat, 18g Protein, 23g Total Carbohydrate, 0g Sugars
Oven Fried Chicken
Oven Fried Chicken Breast is the healthier version of a comfort food favorite! Made with chicken breasts dredged in a spiced breadcrumb mixture, this easy recipe is light on fat but big on flavor!
Are you a fan of fried chicken? Oven-Fried Chicken is the lighter way to make crispy breaded chicken, plus it’s easier and not quite as messy!
This is a great recipe for a weeknight or if you simply don’t feel like spending much time in the kitchen. Plus, it’s a guaranteed family favorite that your kids won’t complain about!
What’s In It?
This Oven Baked Chicken Recipe consists of three components: Chicken breasts, an egg/milk mixture, and a breadcrumb/seasoning mixture.
First, each chicken piece is dunked in a mixture of eggs and milk, which helps the coating stick. Next, they’re covered in a blend of breadcrumbs, poultry seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, dried parsley, salt, and pepper.
Once baked, the coating turns golden brown and gets crunchy. It’s what makes the chicken breasts taste “fried” even though they’re baked.
How To Make Them
Anyone can make this “fried” chicken recipe, that’s what I love most about it – other than how delicious it is!
- Mix: Beat your wet ingredients together in one bowl and combine your dry ingredients together in a separate bowl
- Dredge: Dip the chicken breasts in the liquid then into the breadcrumbs and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle: Pour the melted butter evenly over the tops of the chicken.
- Bake: Cook the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Substitutions and Variations:
- You can drizzle olive oil over the chicken in place of butter.
- You can also add other spices to the chicken breast seasoning like onion powder, celery salt, oregano, basil, or chili powder for a spicy kick.
- Chicken thighs can be used in place of chicken breast, but it’ll change the cooking time.
- Enjoy these with your favorite dipping sauces like ketchup, BBQ sauce, or maple mustard sauce.
- Another idea is to melt a piece of mozzarella cheese on top. Add some fresh grated Parmesan and marinara sauce for an easy chicken Parmesan dish!
Can I Change The Cooking Time?
One thing you SHOULDN’T change is the cooking time and temperature, if possible.
While it may vary a bit depending on the size of the chicken breast, if you take too long to bake chicken — for instance, setting the oven to 350 and cooking it for 30 minutes or more — it could result in dry chicken. That’s why we aim for a hotter and faster cook.
However, cranking up the temperature to shorten the baking can result in a burned outside and raw inside!
The most important thing is that the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165°F. So, if you don’t already have one, I suggest investing in a good meat thermometer!
Is Oven Fried Chicken Healthy?
These oven cooked chicken breasts contain fewer calories and fat than traditional deep-fried chicken. It’s definitely a healthier alternative if you’re watching your waistline.
To keep things healthy, try putting sliced Oven Baked Fried Chicken on top of a salad. This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy leftovers, too!
Savory Oven Baked Chicken
This oven-baked chicken has a golden brown crunchy coating made with Parmesan cheese mixed with bread crumbs.5.0 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for average rating value is 5.0 of 5. Read 36 Reviews Same page link.
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Land O Lakes® Butter, melted
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh garlic
6 (4-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts GET INGREDIENTS
How to make
- STEP 1Heat oven to 375°F.
- STEP 2Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, parsley, pepper and salt in shallow bowl; set aside.
- STEP 3Combine melted butter and garlic in 9-inch pie pan. Dip 1 chicken breast at a time into butter mixture; place into bread crumb mixture, turning to coat evenly. Place chicken breasts into ungreased 13×9-inch baking pan. Drizzle with any remaining butter mixture.
- STEP 4Bake 25-35 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches at least 165°F, is lightly browned and juices run clear when pierced with fork.
Adding herbs to a recipe can change the way it tastes. For flavor variations, try mixing 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs, such as rosemary or sage, into the melted butter mixture.
Nutrition (1 serving)