Baked Chicken With Pesto Recipe…one of my favorite recipes. I came up with this recipe several years ago and ever since then, I have been making it at least 2 times per month. It’s easy enough for a weeknight meal, but impressive enough for company too!
EASY BAKED PESTO CHICKEN
The juiciest, simplest and most delicious chicken you will ever make!
Want to know the best parts of this recipe? How about only 3 ingredients? How about the preparation? You are simply rinsing, drying and slicing your chicken breasts into three thick strips. That’s all. You can use thighs here too.
The pesto I used on this day is my tried and true Gotham Greens from Whole Foods. Update: By popular demand, I am including my new pesto recipe below… It is fantastic and flavorful!
Baking this dish is a no brainer. And the bonus here is that it makes the chicken SUPER juicy and tender.
This is definitely a winner winner chicken dinner and please all the family and friends in your life. I served mine with some rice and poured the baking dish juices all over – chef’s kiss!
I also use this same method with my salmon, which happens to be my favorite. I slather the salmon with a thick layer of pesto and then top that with a parmesan cheese and breadcrumb mixture. Nothing beats it. Again, time and taste are terrific here.
easy baked pesto chicken
prep time: 5 mins
cook time: 25 mins
total time: 30 mins
- 4 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup mozzarella shredded
- 1 cup fresh basil, no stems
- 1 tbs pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Slice your chicken breast into thick large strips. Depending on the size of the piece, slice into three or two strips. Season all the strips, front and back, generously with salt and pepper.
- Spread half of the pesto all over the bottom of your baking dish.
- Transfer the chicken to the dish in an even layer. Scoop the rest of the pesto on top and spread out with a brush or spatula to coat.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with your mozzarella. Place back in the oven until cheese is melted. Don’t over bake… you want juicy meat. Internal temperature of meat should be 165 F. Top with chili pepper flakes.
- Combine the basil, nuts and garlic in a food processor until finely minced. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil until all is in. Finally mix in the grated parmesan.
You can also use pre made pesto from a jar – you will need 3/4 cup.
Serve with rice and veggies and top with some chili pepper flakes.
BAKED PESTO CHICKEN
- 4boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2cup refrigerated basil pesto
- 2 -3plum tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with heavy-duty foil.
- Place chicken and pesto in medium bowl; toss to coat.
- Place chicken on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Remove from oven; top with tomatoes and cheese.
- Bake for an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
BAKED PESTO CHICKEN BREAST
This fast and easy Baked Chicken Breast recipe is topped with pesto, tomatoes, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven, or make it outside on the grill!
This chicken recipe is really popular because it’s made with just 5 ingredients and is ready in under 30 minutes – a winner in my book!
PESTO CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
- Chicken breasts, for protein
- Homemade Pesto, for freshness and flavor
- Tomatoes, for freshness
- Mozzarella, for protein and melty goodness
- Parmesan cheese, for unami
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BAKED PESTO CHICKEN
I like to serve this with salad or zucchini noodles to keep it low-carb but you can also serve it over pasta.
HOW TO MAKE BAKED PESTO CHICKEN
CHICKEN PESTO BAKE
205 Cals 30 Protein 2.5 Carbs 8.5 Fats
PREP TIME:10 mins
COOK TIME:15 mins
TOTAL TIME:25 mins
This easy Baked Pesto Chicken is a fast chicken dish made with skinless chicken breasts, pesto, tomatoes, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. You can make this in the oven, or make it outside on the grill!
- 2 16 oz total boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 4 teaspoons Skinny Basil Pesto
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
- 6 tbsp 1.5 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- Wash chicken and dry with a paper towel. Slice chicken breast horizontally to create 4 thinner cutlets. Season lightly with salt and fresh pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line baking sheet with foil or parchment if desired for easy clean-up.
- Place the chicken on prepared baking sheet. Spread about 1 teaspoon of pesto over each piece of chicken.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove from oven; top with tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- To Grill: Grill chicken over medium flame on both sides until cooked through in the center. Lower flame, top chicken with pesto, tomatoes and cheese, and close grill until cheese melts.
Serving: 1piece chicken, Calories: 205kcal, Carbohydrates: 2.5g, Protein: 30g, Fat: 8.5g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g, Cholesterol: 90.5mg, Sodium: 171.5mg, Fiber: 0.5g
WW Points Plus:5