Baked chicken with rotel. I love recipes that are easy and simple. If you have grown sick of rotel and cheese go ahead and add your own ingredients to spruce it up!
I’m going to let you in on a little family secret. It’s my Baked Chicken With Rotel Recipe. Now, I do have to tell you it may not be for everyone but my husband loves it.
AMY’S ROTEL CHICKEN
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
10 ounce can Ro-tel tomatoes, undrained
Put the chicken in an 8×8″ baking dish. Pour the tomatoes and liquid over the chicken and try to keep the bits of tomato on top of the chicken, not in the bottom of the pan. Bake at 350º 30-45 minutes or until done to your liking (see my comments below).
Makes 3 servings
Do not freeze
Per Serving: 144 Calories; 2g Fat; 28g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
This is another recipe from Amy’s Eating Low website. You can watch a video of Amy making this dish here. I wasn’t sure if I should season the chicken a little before adding the tomatoes so I decided to just make it as Amy said. I think it came out fine without any additional salt. This dish is about as simple as you can get but it tasted pretty good. Amy baked hers about 45 minutes but I found that my chicken was done after only 30 minutes. It was cooked all the way through but still moist and juicy. I wouldn’t try to use more than 3 chicken breasts per can of tomatoes. There was just enough to cover the three. Although this tastes pretty good, it is a little plain. To jazz it up a little, I melted a slice of Deluxe American cheese over half of my piece of chicken and it reminded me a little bit of that dip that you make with Ro-tel tomatoes and Velveeta cheese.
Here are the counts for a serving topped with one slice of Deluxe American cheese:
Per Serving: 249 Calories; 10g Fat; 34g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 3.5g Net Carbs
CHEESY RO*TEL CHICKEN BAKE
This time of year can be super busy with back to school and getting ready for the holidays. Make dinner easy with this Cheesy Ro*tel Chicken Bake!
Can you believe it’s already the second week of September? The summer flew by for me. The past couple months have been pretty crazy for me with buying a house and planning my wedding, so I’ve been relying on easy dinner recipes.
This Cheesy Ro*tel Chicken Bake is one of the easiest dinner recipes I’ve created lately! This casserole-style dish is so easy to throw together. Just add a few ingredients and stick it in the oven.
I used Ro*tel, Progresso Chicken Broth and Kraft Shredded Mexican Cheese to create this meal that is packed with flavor.
This Mexican-style casserole is an all-in-one meal that will please the whole family. It’s great for busy nights since it only takes a few minutes to throw together.
Ro*tel is an ingredient I try to keep in the house for easy meals. It adds so much flavor to any dish! It’s great for soups or casseroles like this.
MORE EASY DINNER IDEAS
CHEESY RO*TEL CHICKEN BAKE
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 20 MINUTES
cook time: 30 MINUTES
total time: 50 MINUTES
- 1 1/2 cups dry rice
- 1 cup Progresso Chicken Broth
- 1 10 oz can Ro*tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilis
- 1 cup Kraft Mexican cheese
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (uncooked), cut into cubes
- Cook the rice according to the directions on the package.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large casserole dish, mix the cooked rice, chicken broth, Ro*tel, chicken and 3/4 of the cheese. Spread evenly in the dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
Rotel Chicken Mexican Casserole
This creamy, ultra-cheesy Mexican casserole makes for a satisfying, quick, and easy dinner that the whole family will love. All you need are 6 simple ingredients and 25 minutes. How can you resist?
- 3 chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 small can chopped green chiles
- 1 pound shredded cheddar cheese
- Step 1Cook and dice chicken. Mix together Rotel, soup, green chiles, and cheese. Heat mixture approximately 1 1/2 minutes in a microwave, or until melted. Add chicken. In a casserole pan, layer 1/2 chips and 1/2 cheese mixture. Repeat layers and top with some crushed chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Rotel Chicken Bake
An EASY cheesy Rotel Chicken Bake is exactly the satisfying, super-fast meal you’ll want on busy weeknights. Simple spices, cheese, and Rotel tomatoes combine with tender chicken breasts in a hands-off baked chicken dinner that only takes you 5 MINUTES to get in the oven. With countless possibilities for sides and the cheesy, salsa flavor that the whole family will love, you’ll be the hero of dinner time with minimal effort.
Rotel Chicken Bake – The EASY Way!
Chicken bakes are a go to in my house for a reason – they are always delicious and even better EASY. This Rotel chicken bake is definitely both of those things in one super quick, ultra kid-friendly recipe. It will literally take you 5 minutes to put it in the oven, but when you pull out cheesy, tender chicken breasts, it will be hard to believe it was so stress-free!
Bonus – it is super easy to customize too. Just switching up the Rotel or the cheese is a fast way to make it exactly how YOUR family likes it, without any extra effort. Your kids will love it and you will definitely love the fast, one-dish cleanup.
WHAT IS ROTEL?
If you have never tried Rotel tomatoes with green chilies, you are totally missing out! They’re a Texas based brand that make canned diced tomatoes with green chiles. They make a few different varieties including original, mild, spicy, and cilantro lime. You can find them near the other canned tomatoes in almost any grocery store. They are an absolute go-to for adding quick, super flavorful tomatoes to tons of dishes.
WHY I LOVE THIS RECIPE!
- So Fast! – At most you will have to slice a chicken breast or two. The rest is just season, layer, and bake! Easy!
- One Pan – It all bakes in one dish that makes clean up a breeze after dinner.
- Tastes Great – The BEST part about this Rotel chicken bake is the flavor! Everyone will gobble up the juicy cheesy chicken.
- Versatile Leftovers – The flavors in this easy Rotel chicken are super easy to repurpose into another meal like tacos, burritos, quesadillas, etc!
- Family friendly – In addition to being a huge time saver for busy families, it is also a dish that will make everyone happy, from the picky eaters to the hungry teenagers.
What to Serve with a Cheesy Rotel Chicken Bake
Since this dish has the classic flavors of Tex-Mex cuisine, it will pair well with many traditional or spiced up side dishes. There are both classic options and some healthy options to keep it light.
SIDE DISH IDEAS
- Green Salads – add avocado, shredded cheese, corn, and top with my jalapeno ranch dressing as a perfect, healthy side for the Cheesy Rotel Chicken Bake.
- Grains – My easy Mexican rice or chipotle cilantro lime rice are so perfect to under cheesy Rotel chicken!
- Potatoes – Easy extra creamy or green chile cheddar mashed potatoes would both be so good!
- Baked asparagus – super easy, tasty, and healthy.
- Vegetable medleys – Cajun roasted veggies or Mexican Roasted Veggies are both super flavorful and can roast in the oven with your chicken bake.
- Beans – Simply seasoned canned black beans, Mexican crock pot refried beans, or crock pot black beans are all super tasty with this cheesy, easy chicken dinner.
- Buttermilk cornbread or Mexican cornbread – both pair with the flavors in this dish.
You can choose one or add a few sides to make a wholesome, well rounded dinner.
This Rotel Chicken Bake recipe is as simple as promised! Just one pan and 5 minutes of prep for a family friendly meal.
In this section I am going to go through a few tips and tricks I use when making this recipe to get the absolute best and most delicious results.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom for the FULL recipe card.
INGREDIENTS + SUBSTITUTIONS
- Chicken Breasts – I like using chicken breasts for the Rotel Chicken Bake, but any boneless skinless chicken will do. If you are using tenderloins or cutlets, the bake time will be less so check it early to avoid overcooking it.
When choosing any chicken, make sure you are beginning with even sized pieces. You can easily slice the chicken in half or pound out the thicker spots so that they are even and will bake evenly.
- Rotel – I love the classic Rotel! But you can use any brand of canned tomatoes with green chiles. If you like you could also use the fire-roasted, Mexican style, Hot, or really any variety of Rotel!
- Shredded Cheese – I keep it simple with shredded cheddar, but you can definitely use a Mexican blend, Monterey jack, or pepper jack for some spice. Just choose a cheese that will get gooey and melty!
- Spices – A blend of chili powder, cumin, salt, and garlic powder make this whole dish sing.
- Optional Garnishes – Top the Rotel Chicken with one or more based on your family’s preference! Chopped, fresh cilantro, green onions, or sour cream will garnish for added flavor and color.
- Use Same-sized Chicken breasts – To make sure the chicken in your Cheesy Rotel Chicken Bake will be juicy and perfect, it is REALLY important to start with pieces that are the same thickness and size.
Butterfly or slice large ones in half to make them even and quicker to cook. Or you can simply pound the thicker parts with a meat tenderizer or rolling pin so they are same width. I recommend covering the chicken with plastic wrap before pounding to keep everything clean.
- Use a Large Casserole Pan – Another key tip to even cooking is a large pan. You want to use a casserole dish, or oven safe pan with sides, that allows you to lay the chicken breasts in flat, without overcrowding or layering them. A pan that is too small will make the chicken bake take longer to cook.
- Drain the Rotel – Your Rotel chicken bake will be tasty if you forget this step, but I highly recommend draining the tomatoes before adding them to the chicken. Leaving them undrained will create a more watery sauce since the chicken releases moisture while it bakes too. Draining off the excess liquid will give you a saucier final product.
- Bake Covered – We personally love the ooey, gooey flavors of this this Rotel chicken bake. It’s just full of cheesy goodness! Getting that stringy, melty cheese is done by baking it covered until the last 10 minutes or so. BUT, if you like the idea of crisp cheese instead, bake it uncovered the whole time! Both are super tasty!
- Don’t overcook – One of the main reasons for dry, stringy chicken is overcooking. For this recipes it is as simple as not leaving it in the oven too long! After you’ve remove the foil, let it bake for 5 more minutes, then check the temperature with a meat thermometer if possible so you pull them out at the perfect 165°F.
Recipe Short Cuts
If you need to make this recipe, but are extra short on time, here are a few ideas that can help make this recipe even faster!
- Use Chicken Chunks – Cubed chicken pieces will not only make your easy Rotel chicken bake faster, but it makes serving quicker too. Just scoop and serve!
- Pre-shredded Cheese – Grate it yourself ahead of time, or just buy a package of your favorite pre-shredded cheese to make assembling this so much faster.
- Use a spice blend – If you have taco seasoning or Mexican blends in your cupboard they can add big flavor super fast without measuring separate spices. My homemade fajita seasoning would be a great option to season a Rotel chicken bake super easily. Swap in 1-2 teaspoons to coat all the breasts.
If you love this recipe as much as we do and want some quick ways to change it up for variety, these little tips will do the trick!
- Spicy Rotel Chicken Bake – Make as directed but add a pinch of cayenne to the seasoning blend, or swap out original Rotel with the Hot variety, and use pepper jack cheese on top.
- Loaded Cheesy Rotel Chicken Bake – Make as directed, mixing in 1/2 cup corn and 1/2 cup black beans to the rotel before topping with cheese.
- Creamy Rotel Chicken Bake – Mix 4 ounces of cream cheese and 1/2 cup of sour cream with the drained Rotel tomatoes, then proceed with the recipe as directed!
Freezer Meal Instructions
Making this Rotel chicken bake recipe into a freezer meal is simple! Follow the steps below and you can store this recipe in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Season the chicken breasts and add the drained tomatoes over the top.
- Store in a freezer safe bag or freezer friendly container.
- When ready to cook, thaw in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours.
- Drain off any excess liquid.
- Top with cheese and bake as directed in the recipe.
Rotel Chicken Bake Leftovers
If you have leftovers after making easy Rotel chicken, then it is your lucky day! They save and reheat well, and can make the start of another delicious dish.
To save leftovers, separate into meal sized portions and then place in an airtight container and store:
- in the refrigerator for 3-4 days
- in the freezer up to a month
Here are a few ways to repurpose those leftovers and give them a delicious makeover!
- Rotel Chicken Nachos – Spread tortilla chips on a sheet pan and sprinkle chopped up Rotel chicken on top. Add more cheese, and other toppings like beans, corn, olives, and jalapenos. Bake at 350°F until the cheese is melted and serve.
- Rotel Chicken Quesadillas – Combine chopped leftovers with extra shredded cheese between two flour tortillas. Crisp in a warm skillet on both sides until the cheese is melted and everything is hot. Slice into triangles and serve immediately with some sour cream to dip!
- Rotel Chicken Stuffed Peppers – Chop up leftovers and combine with either white or brown rice at a 1:1 ratio. Add a splash or two of chicken broth if it seems dry. Half bell peppers and remove the stems, ribs, and seeds. Place in a casserole dish and fill with the chicken and rice mixture. Top with more cheese and bake covered for 35-40 minutes or until the peppers are tender.
- Rotel Chicken Burritos– Combine leftover Rotel chicken with leftover rice and beans in a pan to warm through. Lay out a large tortilla and add the chicken mixture topped with salsa or cheese, the fold.
- Rotel Chicken Fajitas – Cook up a quick pan of my sautéed peppers and onions with my fajita seasoning mix. Combine with re-warmed Rotel chicken leftovers and rice in small flour tortillas for a quick and easy dinner.