This balsamic chicken with tomatoes is the perfect spring meal! This dish comes together quickly and easily, making it the perfect choice for weeknight dinners. It also reheats well, which makes it ideal for batch cooking and meal prep. Weeknight meals can be tricky to make sometimes, but this balsamic chicken with tomatoes and prosciutto is a great choice because it doesn’t take long to prepare.
Balsamic chicken bake
- 20m prep
- 50m cook
- 6 servings
3,679people saved this
65people made this
Here’s a super-smart dish that keeps on giving – a delicious meal one night, with leftovers and a recipe for the next night.
out of 10
604 calories per serve
Allergens: Recipe may contain sulphites.
More nutrition information >
- 9 Ingredients
- 2 Method Steps
- 12 (2kg) chicken thighs (bone in, skin on), trimmed
- 600g chat potatoes, quartered
- 2 medium red onions, cut into thin wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Coles balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- Select all ingredients
ADD TO SHOPPING LIST
We are temporarily pausing click-to-cart functionality due to a technical issue. We will resume as soon as possible. Thank you for understanding.
- Step 1Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Arrange chickenUnsure of the quantity needed?Click on the underlined ingredient to reveal the quantity. No need to flip back and forth!OK, GOT IT, potato, onion, garlic and thyme in two large roasting dishes. Whisk vinegar, oil and sugar in a jug until sugar has dissolved. Drizzle over chicken mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 2Bake for 40 minutes. Add tomatoes. Bake for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Serve chicken thighs with vegetables. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers for dinner the next night (see notes).
Oven Baked Balsamic Chicken
This Oven Baked Chicken recipe is a delicious weeknight dinner. With flavors of honey and balsamic vinegar, you know it’s going to be good!
You’re going to love making this Oven Baked Balsamic Chicken recipe. Loaded with flavor, it’s literally perfect for a simple family dinner. Let the oven take over and do the cooking with this simple and fast chicken dish.
Cooking chicken breast in the oven is a great way to retain the moisture and tenderness of the meat. The steady heat and temperature of the oven keep the chicken flavorful without being overcooked.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS ROASTED CHICKEN BREAST
- Flavorful and simple
- Moist and tender results
- Delicious to reheat and enjoy as leftovers
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE OVEN BAKED BALSAMIC CHICKEN
- Skinless chicken breasts – I like to buy these at the store when they’re on sale and freeze them. Great way to save money and stock up.
- Balsamic vinegar – Don’t skip this! This adds so much flavor!
- Honey – Adding honey adds the perfect amount of sweetness to this dish to balance the balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil – Needed to add more liquid for the marinade that you’ll be putting onto the chicken.
- Dijon mustard – Such a great flavor to add to this dish.
- Garlic cloves – All dishes should have some sort of garlic added.
- Cherry tomatoes – Perfect for a bite size pop of sweetness and tart and ends up become saucy when baked with the chicken.
- Seasonings: Add salt, pepper to taste and don’t forget the dried basil and chopped parsley for extra flavor.
HOW TO MAKE HONEY BALSAMIC CHICKEN
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with a clean paper towel and add them to the baking dish.
- Pour the prepared marinade over the top of the chicken breasts.
- Let marinate to soak in extra flavor – even 10 minutes will help!
- Slice the cherry tomatoes and add them to the baking dish all around the chicken.
- Place in the oven and bake. Serve with your favorite side dishes and enjoy!
TIPS FOR MAKING BALSAMIC CHICKEN BREASTS
- Let the chicken marinate. You don’t have to give it a ton of time, but it does need some to soak in all the flavor and help make it extra juicy.
- Let the chicken rest for a few minutes. Before cutting into the chicken breasts, give them a few moments of rest time after being removed from the oven. This helps them stay extra juicy.
- Broil the chicken for extra color. This is not necessary, but to get a golden brown color on the top of the chicken breast, try broiling it for an extra minute after it’s done cooking. The broiling gives it a browned, glossy finish.
- Top with a little bit of parmesan cheese. This is my own little tip but I think that parmesan cheese sprinkled on top would be divine.
POPULAR SUBSTITUTIONS IN THE BAKED CHICKEN
- Leave out the mustard. It’s really good flavor but if you don’t have dijon mustard at home, still make this roasted chicken recipe.
- Swap out the tomatoes. Instead of tomatoes, you could do onions, pepper, zucchini or even whole mushrooms as well.
- Use maple syrup. Not a fan of honey? Maple syrup could be a great option to use instead.
HOW TO REHEAT & STORE HEALTHY BASALMIC CHICKEN
BEST WAY TO STORE LEFTOVER CHICKEN
Since this simple baked chicken recipe is perfect for lunch or dinner the next day, store any leftovers in an airtight container and keep it nice and cool in the fridge.
HOW LONG WILL OVEN BAKED BALSAMIC CHICKEN LAST IN THE FRIDGE?
As long as you store it properly, it should stay good for 2-3 days.
CAN I FREEZE BAKED CHICKEN?
Yes. The best way to freeze cooked chicken is to add the pieces to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag and store it in the freezer.
HOW TO REHEAT HONEY BAKED CHICKEN
When you’re ready to eat again, just reheat the leftovers low and slow in the oven or place them in the microwave to heat them back up.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do you know when chicken is done cooking?
Always check the internal temperature for the chicken. Using a meat thermometer, make sure that the reading shows at least 165 degrees.
Why is my chicken tough?
More than likely, you overcooked the chicken and that caused it to dry out and become chewy. Make sure that you pay attention to the cooking times closely.
How can I use leftover chicken?
I think that chicken is so versatile to use in other recipes. You can shred up chicken and use it for tacos or even as a shredded chicken sandwich of sorts as well.
You can also cube up chicken and add it to soups easily, too!
Balsamic Chicken With Tomatoes Recipe
Tender chicken pan-fried to perfection and simmered in a tomato-balsamic sauce with Italian seasonings. Perfect over pasta.
- 6 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz can)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Season chicken breasts with ground black pepper and garlic salt.
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet, and brown the onion and seasoned chicken breasts.
Pour tomatoes and balsamic vinegar over chicken, and season with basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme.
Simmer until chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear, about 15 minutes.