Beef for tacos. You can say it all you want, but nothing beats the taste of a nice thick steak to go down with some fresh homemade flour tortillas. That’s why there is a restaurant in the valley dedicated to just that: beef for tacos. I’m talking about Beef For Tacos—the best name ever.
“Tacos are crunchy, messy and great fun to eat, so it’s no wonder they’re a big hit with the kids. They’re also easy to make – more of an assembly job than a recipe. ”
COOKS IN1 HOUR
DIFFICULTYNOT TOO TRICKY
NUTRITION PER SERVING
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 pinch of paprika
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 500 g quality minced beef
- 250 ml organic beef stock
- 12 corn taco shells
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 spring onion
- 3 sprigs of fresh coriander
- ½ a lime
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- Peel and dice the onion, then deseed and dice the peppers. Soften in 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over a low heat.
- Peel, finely slice and add the garlic, along with the paprika and cumin, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the beef and stir until it has browned.
- Pour in the stock, cover, and cook for 45 minutes, or until reduced and delicious.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.
- For the salsa, roughly chop the tomatoes, trim and finely slice the spring onion, then pick and roughly chop the coriander leaves. Combine with the lime juice, then season carefully to taste.
- For the guacamole, halve and destone the avocados, then mash the flesh with a fork. Squeeze in the lime juice, add the crème fraîche, season, and gently mix it all up.
- Spread the taco shells out on a baking tray and place in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes until crisp.
- Fill the shells with the meat, salsa and guacamole or lay everything out and let everyone help themselves.
Easy Beef Tacos
- Prep15 Min
- Total30 Min
Ever wondered how to make simple ground beef tacos that are as good as the ones you enjoy at your local taqueria? This Easy Beef Tacos recipe is your answer. With just six ingredients and 30 minutes of your time, you can serve up ten delicious yet simple beef tacos.
- 1pound lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1cup Old El Paso™ Thick ‘n Chunky salsa
- 10Old El Paso™ taco shells
- 1/2head lettuce, shredded
- 1medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1Cook beef in 10-inch skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain.
- 2Stir salsa into beef. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour beef mixture into large serving bowl.
- 3Heat taco shells as directed on package. Serve taco shells with beef mixture, lettuce, tomato and cheese.
Tips from the Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1Create a small condiment bar to serve alongside your easy ground beef tacos: in addition to the lettuce, tomato and cheese, set out small bowls of chopped avocado, sliced radishes, sweet bell pepper, additional salsa and fresh cilantro.
- tip 2Turn these Easy Beef Tacos into taco bowls by spooning the salsa-seasoned beef onto a bed of shredded lettuce, topped with the tomatoes and cheese. Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips for added crunch.
- tip 3Look for shredded Mexican cheese blends where you’d find the Cheddar cheese—they’re a mix of Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Colby, and sometimes a sprinkle of mild chili powder.
- tip 4Try switching up this simple ground beef taco recipe by using ground chicken or ground turkey instead.
190 Calories, 11 g Total Fat, 12 g Protein, 10 g Total Carbohydrate
Next level minced beef tacos
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep:10 mins
- Cook:30 mins
- More effort
- Serves 3
Elevate a pack of beef mince into vibrant tacos. Go to the extra effort of making your own spice mix for even more flavour, and use soft tortillas
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 500g beef mince
- 300ml beef stock
For the spice mix
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 2 tsp cornflour
For the pickled onions
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 1 lime, juiced, plus wedges to serve
- 6-8 small soft wheat or corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, stoned, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1 tomato, chopped into small chunks
- handful of feta, crumbled, or use grated mild cheddar (optional)
- 2 handfuls of tortilla chips, crushed (optional)
- STEP 1First, make the spice mix. Toast the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and peppercorns in a small, dry frying pan, then tip into a spice grinder or use a pestle and mortar to crush to a rough powder. Add the remaining spice mix ingredients, except the cornflour, then grind again. Stir through the cornflour and a pinch of salt. The spice mix will keep in an airtight jar for up to one month.
- STEP 2For the pickled onions, toss the onions with the lime juice and a pinch of salt in a medium glass bowl, then set aside to soften.
- STEP 3Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-low heat, and crumble in the mince. Cook for 15-20 mins. At first, it will release some liquid, but once that has bubbled away, the mince will sizzle in its own fat and start to brown and crisp. At this point, stir or toss the mince with a wooden spoon so it browns and caramelises all over. When the mince is well toasted, sprinkle over half the spice mix and continue to cook for 2 mins. Pour over the beef stock and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook gently for 10 mins until the beef has absorbed most of the stock, and is in a rich, thick gravy. Taste for seasoning.
- STEP 4To assemble the tacos, toast the tortillas in a hot, dry frying pan, or over a flame until lightly blistered. Transfer to a serving plate and spoon the mince into a bowl, then serve the other ingredients in separate bowls, so everyone can assemble their own. Alternatively, spoon the mince into the tortillas, then top with the avocado, tomato, cheese (if using), pickled onions and crushed tortilla chips, if using. Serve the lime wedges on the side for squeezing over.