If you love apples and crumble, this is the best apple crumble recipe you’ll ever find! A warm, sweet and crumbly dessert is the perfect way to end any holiday meal or for the enjoying on a cold weekday night.
I think we can all agree that an apple crumble recipe is one of the best ways to enjoy an apple. The combination of apples, crumble mix and buttery bits is perfect. It’s a tasty treat that I imagine you find yourself craving during the colder months. It’s also a very simple dessert to serve!
The Best Apple Crumbl
This apple crumble is a true family favourite! It has a soft, sweet apple filling with a hint of cinnamon (optional) and a perfectly crunchy, yet chewy, crumble topping.
This is one of those desserts where I guarantee the whole family goes quiet when digging in. Your family will be begging you to make this again and again.
This is actually one of Chris’s recipes. Have I mentioned before he’s a cook too? I’m a lucky girl. 🥰
His Chilli Con Carne is always on recipe rotation, we must have it at least once every 2 weeks and I LOVE the Sesame Prawn Toast he makes too.
So onto his delicious apple crumble recipe.
📋 What do we need?
For the crumble filling, I like to use a combination of cooking (Bramley) apples and eating apples.
The cooking apples will break down more during the cooking process and the eating apples will retain a bit more texture giving the perfect apple sauce center to the crumble.
This is the easiest apple crumble recipe and an all-time favourite quick and easy dessert.
Each serving provides 618 kcal, 6g protein, 83g carbohydrates (of which 43g sugars), 28.5g fat (of which 18g saturates), 3.5g fibre and 0.21g salt.ShareAdd to favourites
less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
For the crumble
- 300g/10½oz plain flour, sieved
- pinch of salt
- 175g/6oz brown sugar
- 200g/7oz unsalted butter at room temperature, cubed, plus a little for greasing
For the filling
- 450g/1lb apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm/½in pieces
- 50g/2oz brown sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Place the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Taking a few cubes of butter at a time rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Place the fruit in a large bowl and sprinkle over the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir well being careful not to break up the fruit.
- Butter a 24cm/9in ovenproof dish. Spoon the fruit mixture into the bottom, then sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is browned and the fruit mixture bubbling.
- Serve with thick cream or custard.
Bramley apples will turn to a lovely fluff underneath your crumble, in this recipe with toffee-ish brown sugar. If you want a crumble with distinct apple pieces, use a dessert apple and reduce the sugar quantity.
Apple Crumble Ingredients
I love that this recipe calls for pantry ingredients because it’s one of those recipes we’ll make a dozen of times during the cooler months of the year. As always, you can find the full printable recipe with complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need:
Apple Crumble Topping
- all purpose flour – this is the foundation of the topping.
- brown sugar – you can use light or dark brown sugar in this recipe. Dark brown sugar will have a deeper molasses flavor which is yummy in this apple crumble recipe.
- baking powder – for a little extra crunch and lift in the topping.
- salt – for flavor and balance.
- ground cinnamon – give the crumble topping more flavor and spice.
- unsalted butter – the butter is melted and then stirred into the dry ingredients for the easiest crumble topping ever.
Apple Crumble Filling
- apples – the star of the show! I like to use Granny Smith apples but any apples will work in this recipe. You will need to peel and core the apple s and then cut or dice into bite sized pieces. I use about 2 1/2 pounds and when I measure I always end up with about about 6 to 7 cups of apple pieces.
- sugar – I used granulated sugar in the video below but frequently do half and half with brown sugar or even use all brown sugar occasionally. You can use what you prefer.
- lemon juice – gives the filling a brightness and keeps the apples from discoloring.
- corn starch or all purpose flour – they are interchangeable in this recipe and I have had great success using both in the past. Please use whichever you like. Both with thicken the filling beautifully as it bakes. Remember to let the crumble cool to allow it to thicken some before serving.
- salt – just a pinch for flavor and balance.
- ground cinnamon – perfectly spices the apple filling. I also sometimes will use apple pie spice in this recipe and it’s got a bit more of a flavor punch which is nice.
How to Make Apple Crumble
Get ready for the best apple crumble recipe! So simple and quick to make, you’re sure to love it. As always, you can find the full printable recipe with complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post.
Apple Crumble Topping
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the melted butter with a fork until crumbly.
Apple Crumble Filling
- Combine apples, granulated sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch (or flour if using) and cinnamon.
- Transfer to a baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle crumble mixture evenly over the top of the filling.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown on top.
- Let cool for 15 minutes to allow the filling to thicken.
Apple Crumble Recipe FAQs
What kind of apples should I use? I prefer Granny Smith apples for all or half of the recipe. For this particular version, I used half Granny Smith and half Honeycrisp apples. You can use virtually any kind of apple for this recipe so use what you have on hand.
Can I double the recipe? You sure can! Use a 9×13 baking dish if doubling the recipe.
Do I have to peel the apples? You’re going to love this – NO! You can absolutely leave the peel on just make sure to wash the apples well. The peel will add a nice texture to the apple filling in this easy apple crumble recipe.
Can I make individual servings? Sure can! Use ramekins and divide the filling and topping evenly between them. Bake as directed.
Tips and Variations
- Drizzle caramel sauce over top just before serving to amp up the indulgence.
- Stir in half a teaspoon of vanilla extract in with the apple filling ingredients for a beautiful aroma and sensational flavor.
- Chopped nuts make a great topping or make it extra special with Candied Pecans.
- Serve with a dollop of extra whipped cream and a dash of apple pie spice or cinnamon.
- Serve alongside a heaping scoop of sweet vanilla ice cream!