Chicken With Almonds recipes is a delicious dish that tastes even better when made with ingredients from your own kitchen. So, if you’re interested in learning how you can make Chicken With Almonds, keep reading and find out how! You’d use your grandma’s prized Chicken With Almonds recipe to impress the family? Good luck, but why not try the newer versions first…
Chicken Almondine: Skillet Chicken With Almonds
Servings:6 to 8 servings
|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)SAVE RECIPE
If you’re looking for a simple yet special recipe for chicken, this easy dish is an excellent choice. The boneless chicken breasts are cooked in a butter and wine sauce with a little rosemary and other seasonings and served with sautéed almonds.
Serve this chicken with hot cooked rice and steamed broccoli or a richer Brussels sprouts gratin for a delicious everyday family meal.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, or slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 to 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat the butter over medium heat in a large skillet. When the butter is hot, add the almonds. Cook, stirring until almonds are lightly browned and aromatic.
- Remove almonds to a plate or bowl with a slotted spoon or spatula, reserving butter in skillet. Set the almonds aside.
- Combine the flour, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Dredge the chicken breast halves in the flour mixture.
- Brown chicken over medium heat in the reserved butter for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Add the green onions and garlic to the skillet and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the wine to the skillet.
- Cover the pan and reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- With a slotted spoon or spatula, remove the chicken to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Bring juices to a boil; stir in reserved almonds. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Spoon almond mixture over chicken.
- Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired, and enjoy.
- When cooking with chicken breasts, instead of using the whole chicken breast, slice it in half, lengthwise (i.e., with your knife blade parallel to the cutting board) to produce two flatter chicken cutlets. This will result in more even cooking, rather than having a piece of chicken come out too dry on the outside by the time the full breast cooks all the way through.
Ginger Chicken with Almonds
Delicious ginger chicken! Chicken strips, marinated in coriander and ginger, stir-fried with scallions and ginger, served mixed with mango chutney and topped with toasted almonds.
My friend Steve-Anna sent me this wonderful recipe for ginger chicken and claimed that it was one of her all time favorites.
My father doesn’t eat ginger if he can avoid it, so when I made it I just warned dad ahead of time that he might have to settle for yesterday’s leftovers if he couldn’t bring himself to touch it.
Well, everyone loved it! Even dad.
Strips of boneless, skinless chicken breasts are briefly marinated in ground coriander, ground ginger, vinegar and oil, then they are stir-fried with scallions and julienned ginger. They are mixed with a little mango chutney and sprinkled with toasted almonds before serving.
The whole dish can be made in half an hour, especially if you do a lot of the prep while the chicken is marinating.
Ginger Chicken with Almonds
PREP TIME15 mins
COOK TIME15 mins
TOTAL TIME30 mins
SERVINGS4 to 6 servings
Including a little cornstarch in the chicken marinade is traditional in many Chinese stir-fries. The cornstarch helps keep the chicken pieces from drying out when cooked. You can skip it if you want, but the chicken will be more tender if you use it.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 – 2 pounds total)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger plus ¼ cup julienned fresh ginger (see How to Peel, Chop, and Grate Ginger)
- 4 teaspoons canola oil or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 large scallions (or 6 small), trimmed
- 1/2 cup mango chutney, large pieces chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Slice chicken crosswise:into 1⁄2-inch-thick pieces.
- Marinate chicken strips:Whisk the ground coriander, grated ginger, 2 teaspoons of the oil, vinegar, corn starch, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, making sure there are no lumps of corn starch.Add the chicken and marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Prepare scallions:Thinly slice white parts of scallions. Julienne green parts; set aside.
- Stir together chutney, broth, and garlic:in a small bowl.
- Stir-fry:Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet (or wok) over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites and julienned ginger; stir-fry 30 seconds.Add chicken and stir-fry until thoroughly cooked, 4 to 6 minutes.Add scallion greens and chutney mixture; cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Serve:Transfer to shallow bowls with hot cooked rice (or without rice, for low-carb version). Sprinkle with toasted almond slices and serve.
Almond Chicken is an easy and delicious way to get dinner on the table quickly. It is made with fresh veggies, almonds and a delicious sauce.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Stir fry is a great way to get dinner on the table fast I especially like it because it is a very flexible style of cooking and fairly healthy and this Almond Chicken is all of those things.
You can go to the refrigerator, see what you’ve got and use it in a stir fry. Just grab the veggies you have on hand and some type of meat, do a little chopping, mix up a sauce and you’ve got a delicious dinner ready in 30 – 40 minutes.
Easy Almond Chicken Stir Fry Ingredients
- Meat – Boneless, skinless chicken breast is my go to meat for stir fry but I have also used pork or beef. You could also use chicken thighs or chicken tenders if you prefer.
- Veggies – For this recipe I used celery, carrots, red pepper and mushrooms. I also like broccoli, snow peas and asparagus. Use what you have on hand.
- Nuts – I love a little crunch in my stir fry. Instead of almonds you could also use cashews or peanuts. I toasted whole almonds for this dish.
- Stir Fry Sauce – You will need chicken broth, cooking sherry (see notes for a substitute), cornstarch to use as a thickener as also as a coating on the chicken, soy sauce, salt, and sugar.
- Egg – This is part of the coating on the chicken.
How To Make Almond Chicken Recipe
Stir Fry Sauce
- Whisk together chicken broth, 2 tbsp sherry or substitute, 1 1/2 tbsp of cornstarch, sugar and soy sauce and ginger in a small bowl.
- Bring to a boil in a sauce pan and allow to boil for 5 minutes It will thicken.
- Place chicken into 2 tbsp sherry or substitute, 1 Tbsp cornstarch, egg white, and salt. Allow to sit while you chop the vegetables.
- Heat oil in wok or frying pan. Add chicken mixture and cook until light brown.
- Depending on the size of wok or pan you may need to do in batches. You want it in a single layer.
- Drain on a paper towel and repeat until all chicken is cooked.
I like to give my nuts a toss into the oil left in the frying pan. Just stir them around a bit until they start to brown and are lightly toasted.
Stir Fry Vegetables
- Add in carrots (add more oil if needed) and cook until crisp tender.
- Toss in celery, mushroom, and red pepper and cook until tender.
- Add chicken and nuts back in.
- Pour in sauce and stir to coat and until everything is hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I use instead of cooking sherry?
Cooking sherry is found with the vinegars and is not alcoholic like regular sherry. But if you can’t find it , you can replace it with additional chicken broth.
Can I Make Almond Chicken Vegetarian?
Leave out the chicken and add more veggies or substitute the chicken for tofu.
Is Almond Chicken gluten free?
It is! Because we are using cornstarch as a thickener it is gluten free.
How do I store leftovers?
Refrigerate: Let it completely before putting it into an airtight container and then refrigerating for up to 4 days.
To freeze: Use a freezer-safe dish, and freeze it up for 3 months.
To reheat: I usually reheat it in the microwave until it is warm but you could also add it into a pan and heat over medium heat for a few minutes.