This chicken with avocado recipe is a great one for those who are serious about their health and food choices. We’ve got two kinds of avocados, plus some olive oil and lemon juice. And of course, the chicken. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by how good ingredients like these can taste together.
This is a dish I’ve tried in a couple of Italian take-away places, but have adjusted it to a much less ‘stodgy’
- 1 olive oil spray
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 brown onion diced
- 1 clove garlic diced large
- 2 bacon rashers rindless sliced
- 1/2 chicken breast fillet sliced
- 1 avocado chopped
- 300ml Bulla Cooking Cream
- 1 parmesan shaved
- 1/2 salt and pepper *to taste
- 1 fresh basil chopped
- 500 g pasta *to serve
- Lightly spray a large pan with oil, add chicken and cook until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat oil in the same pan, add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is almost transparent.
- Add bacon and fry until almost cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add avocado, cooking cream, Parmesan and some basil. Mix well over low-medium heat for a few minutes. Return chicken to pan and cover with the sauce for a few minutes.
- Serve over pasta using the remaining basil as garnish.
View all notes
Finely dice clove garlic and slice chicken breast into schnitzels
BAKED AVOCADO CHICKEN
Baked avocado chicken is so easy and delicious, there’s no way it won’t become a new family favorite! Avocado, cheese, and bacon top golden-brown seared chicken breasts to make a main course that’s great served with just about anything!
Cheesy, creamy, and topped with smoky bacon – my baked avocado chicken is an amazingly easy dinner!
Chicken is always on my weeknight dinner rotation, but I like to switch it up as much as I can! Perfectly seared and seasoned chicken breasts are topped with creamy, ripe avocado, melted cheddar cheese, and crispy bacon.
My bacon avocado chicken is seriously so, so good. The chicken pairs so well with the bacon, cheese, and avocado – and it pairs well with almost any side.
Serve with rice and beans, roasted or mashed potatoes, or even as a sandwich! However you decide to serve it, this incredible main course is sure to be delicious.
❤️ WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE!
It’s Cheesy! These chicken breasts are covered in melty, irresistibly yummy cheddar cheese!
It’s Quick! This meal is already quick to make, but it’s even faster if you use quick-cooking chicken breast cutlets!
It’s Packed with Flavor! Bacon, cheese, and a delicious seasoning blend make these chicken breasts so incredibly flavorful!
My baked avocado chicken uses lean chicken breasts seasoned with my irresistible chicken seasoning! It’s full of garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, and delicious herbs that make this chicken so flavorful.
- 3 slices Bacon – Cut the bacon in half for this recipe! I love using thick cut applewood smoked bacon, but you can use your favorite type of bacon.
- 1 ½ pounds Chicken Breasts – Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe! I prefer chicken breasts, but you can easily substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- 1 tablespoon Chicken Seasoning – Make my easy recipe or use your favorite store-bought chicken seasoning.
- 2 large Avocados – You can also use 3 medium avocados for this recipe. Make sure you choose the ripest avocados!
- 1 cup Cheese – Use cheddar or cheddar and Monterey jack blend to top the chicken breasts. I prefer to shred my own cheese, but you can purchase pre-shredded!
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
🔪 STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS
I like to use a cast-iron skillet for this chicken recipe. Not only is it oven-safe, but it also sears the chicken to a beautiful golden brown!
- Crisp bacon. Start by putting 3 slices of bacon, cut in half, into a cold cast iron skillet (or another oven-safe skillet or frying pan). Then heat the pan over medium-high heat and cook until crisped and golden. Once the bacon is cooked to your desired level of doneness, remove the pieces to a paper-towel lined plate and set aside.
- Sear chicken breasts. Next, preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C) and drain all but about a tablespoon of bacon drippings from your skillet. Then, season 1 ½ pounds of chicken breasts generously on all sides with about 1 tablespoon of chicken seasoning. Once the chicken is seasoned, place into a skillet and sear until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Finish searing chicken breasts. After you’ve seared the first side of the chicken breasts, flip and sear the reverse side of your chicken breast for an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Then, transfer the skillet with the chicken breasts to the middle rack of your preheated oven. Finish the chicken in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C).
- Prepare topping. While the chicken is finishing in the oven, slice 2 large avocados and grate 1 cup of cheddar or cheddar/Monterey jack cheese. Then, crumble or chop up the crisped bacon and set the topping ingredients aside until ready to be used.
ASSEMBLE, BROIL & SERVE
- Assemble and melt cheese. Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove from oven. Then, top each chicken breast with an equal amount of sliced avocado, shredded cheddar cheese or cheese blend, and crumbled bacon. Next, set your oven to broil on high heat. Once preheated, place the assembled baked avocado chicken in the middle of your oven and melt the cheese, about 2 to 3 minutes. When melted, remove from the oven, and serve immediately.
My cheesy baked avocado chicken is everything an easy dinner should be. I love to serve this chicken for dinner garnished with chopped cilantro or green onions for a pop of color!
Serve with a side of fluffy rice or crispy roasted potatoes and you have a winning chicken dinner. Enjoy!
💭 ANGELA’S TIPS & RECIPE NOTES
- For a quicker cooking time, slice the chicken breasts into chicken cutlets! You can do this by slicing the breasts in half horizontally or “butterfly-style.” To do this, place your hand on top of the chicken breast and slice through slowly with a sharp knife. This will leave you with two thinner chicken cutlets that will cook in about half the time!
- If using chicken breast cutlets, skip the oven and cook them completely on the stove! The chicken breast cutlets cook quickly, so there’s no need to finish them in the oven before topping with the bacon, avocado, and cheese.
- Make sure you’re using ripe avocados for the best results! When picking avocados, the skin should be dark purple/brown and the avocados should be slightly soft to the touch. You can also leave your avocados on the counter or a warm area for a day or two if you need to ripen them.
- I recommend shredding or grating cheese yourself for the best melting! Pre-grated cheese is coated in preservatives and starches to prevent clumping, which also prevents it from melting evenly. Grating cheese from a block yields cheese that melts perfectly!
- Be sure to keep a close eye on the chicken as it broils! Broilers can burn super easily, especially if your rack is close to the heat source. Watch carefully and pull the chicken as soon as the cheese is melted!
Avocado Stuffed Chicken Breasts
These Avocado Stuffed Chicken Breasts are filled with plump avocado and juicy sun dried tomatoes then seared in a skillet until golden brown and finished in the oven.
Ever since my Asparagus Stuffed Chicken and Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken, I’ve been dreaming of new and delicious ways to stuff chicken! That’s when I remembered my Avocado Egg Rolls and their delicious avocado filling… I knew that would be PERFECT inside chicken and I was totally right!
Avocado Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Seasonings For Avocado Stuffed Chicken Breasts
I was strolling through the grocery store when I stumbled upon the spice aisle and found these seasoning blends from McCormick. I love picking up a seasoning blend that combines my go-to spices, and this one had it all. It’s their new “All Purpose Seasoning” blend with Himalayan Pink Salt, Black Pepper and Garlic.
It also includes onion, red bell pepper, lemon peel and parsley. Pretty much everything I would have used to season this chicken, so I picked up it up to use and it’s perfect!
HOMEMADE ALTERNATIVE – If you can’t find the seasoning blend, don’t worry, I’ll leave the amounts of what you can substitute it with in the notes of the recipe card below.
Stuffed Chicken Breast Filling
The filling for the chicken breasts includes diced avocado, chopped sun dried tomatoes (I recommend using the kind that are packed in oil so they’re more soft), a little cilantro and a touch of salt.
Toss it all together then stuff each chicken breast with the filling and secure it with a few toothpicks.
How To Cook Stuffed Chicken In Skillet
Heat up a large cast iron skillet with some olive oil inside and sear the chicken on each side for about 3 minutes, until they’re golden brown. Then cover with aluminum foil and finish cooking in the oven.
Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes before uncovering and enjoying. Make sure you don’t forget to remove the toothpicks!
What Temperature Should Stuffed Chicken Be Cooked To?
All chicken breasts should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. to be considered safe to consume.
Stuffed chicken breasts can be a little difficult to check because the center will contain a filling that could give you an inaccurate reading.
- Make sure to check the temperature in the thickest part of the chicken breast (don’t touch the filling).
- I love this instant read thermometer for quick and accurate temperature readings.
- Since you’re searing the chicken prior to baking, the chicken should actually reach safe temperature pretty quickly.