When I’ve got my hands full, I have to make my meals simple and delicious. That’s why I love to serve chicken with avocado recipes on busy nights. Chicken is a very versatile ingredient that goes great when paired with an array of complimentary ingredients in your chicken with avocado recipes.
Spicy Avocado Chicken
I have impressed many friends with this fresh-tasting and easy chicken dish. Enjoy!
Spicy Avocado Chicken
Pan-fried chicken topped with a fresh avocado and red onion salsa.
Read the full recipe after the video.
4 chicken breast halves
Original recipe yields 4 servingsIngredient Checklist
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 avocado, diced
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
ADD ALL INGREDIENTS TO SHOPPING LIST
- Step 1Stir 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl; rub evenly into the chicken breasts.
- Step 2Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook the chicken in the heated oil until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 5 to 7 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Step 3Stir the onion, lime juice, and avocado together in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Spoon over the chicken breasts to serve.
Avocado Smothered Chicken
This Avocado Smothered Chicken is EVERYTHING you love about delicious avocado egg rolls, all smothered on top of a tender chicken breast and baked to perfection. Inspired by one of my favorite appetizers this brings the flavors into a wholesome and filling dinner. Made easy with just a handful of ingredients and one dish, you will love how fast this meal can be prepped and into the oven.
Avocado + Chicken + Delicious!
I love avocado and I love chicken, but I had never really considered combining the two, until I had an epiphany one day while eating Avocado Egg Rolls at the Cheesecake Factory. If you have had these, and love them as much as I do, then get very excited for this new dinner idea!
This dish is made by mashing avocado and mixing it with sun dried tomato, herbs and spices, and sweet onion, then smothering it a top tender thin cut chicken breast and covering with in a sprinkle of cheese. To complete the dish though, you can drizzle it with a sweet and spicy sauce to give it even more of a unique depth of flavor.
How to Serve Avocado Smothered Chicken
This dish comes together quickly then while it is baking in the oven, you can whip up a side dish or two to round out the meal. These are a few of my favorites:
You can serve Avocado Smothered Chicken simply with just one of these or go all out and make a few. If you have another side dish you love to serve this meal with, please leave a note in the comments so that I can give it a try next time we make this!
Tips for Making Avocado Smothered Chicken
This dish is simple to make as promised! I am going to walk through a few of my tips and tricks for making it here to hopefully answer any questions that might pop up while cooking. Scroll down to the bottom of this post for the FULL recipe. If there is something I don’t cover, please leave me a note in the comments and I will try to answer as soon as I can!
- Use thin chicken breast cutlets for the best results. You can buy these, or just take regular chicken breast and cut them horizontally so they are half the thickness.
- You can use full chicken breasts if you want but it may need to bake longer.
- This recipe can be made with other cuts of boneless, skinless chicken such as chicken thighs, chicken tenderloin, etc. This may change the cooking time.
- Make sure the avocados are nice and ripe. Not too firm, and not too squishy. To check for ripeness pick off the stem and look for a light green underneath. If the stem doesn’t want to come off, it is likely not yet ripe. If the space under the stem is brown, it is likely over ripe and you may find brown spots.
- If the avocados you buy at the store are bright green and very firm, they will usually need 3-5 days to ripen. You can leave them on the counter (not in a bag) to ripen. If they ripen before you are ready to use, put them in the refrigerator to extend the perfectly ripe stage for an extra 3-5 days.
- This sauce is completely optional. I think the chicken tastes great without it, but I really, really love the chicken with the sauce, so I definitely recommend it if you have time.
- If you are in a time crunch, but still want the sweet and savory combo, you can look for sweet chili sauce in the Asian section of the grocery store for a quick substitution for homemade sauce.
- Cooking the chicken
- I cook this dish for about 30-40 minutes. This may vary depending on the thickness of your chicken. Make sure to cook it to an internal temperature of 165˚F.
- If you over cook your chicken it will become tough and rubbery, so I recommend using an oven safe meat thermometer. You can get them inexpensively at the grocery store or on amazon.
- I cook this dish covered, however I highly recommend uncovering the dish and turning the oven to broil for the last 3-5 minutes to get that great color on the cheese.
How To Freeze Avocado Smothered Chicken
This dish freezes well before cooking to prep for an easy weeknight and after cooking to save leftovers. Since avocado oxidizes easily, I don’t recommend savinf leftovers in the refrigerator, but the freezer does yield great results.
TO FREEZE BEFORE COOKING:
- Prepare up to step 3, but don’t bake.
- Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and foil and freeze.
- When ready to cook, thaw completely. Then bake as directed. It make take an extra few minutes to cook if it is coming straight from the refrigerator.
TO FREEZE AFTER COOKING:
- Cool completely.
- Divide into meal sized portions and place in air tight containers.
- To reheat leftovers
- Microwave for 1.5 minutes then in 30 second increments until heated through.
- In the oven in a baking dish covered with foil at 350˚F until heated through.
30-MINUTE CILANTRO LIME CHICKEN WITH AVOCADO SALSA
Flavorful cilantro lime chicken with delicious avocado salsa will have you in and out of the kitchen in about 30 minutes! It’s the perfect chicken recipe to throw on the grill.
CILANTRO LIME CHICKEN
Cilantro lime chicken just has to be one of the most delicious combos of the summer. This is my go to effortless dinner that only takes 30 minutes to prep. It’s perfect for a typical mid-week dinner.
Cilantro Lime Chicken with Avocado SalsaPlay Video
It’s healthy, quick, and versatile. Plus kiddos love it! It starts with chicken thighs marinated in cilantro, lime garlic, then grilled under juicy tender, and topped with the yummiest avocado salsa.
INGREDIENTS FOR CILANTRO CHICKEN
Not only does this lime chicken comes together in about 30 minutes but it’s also made with less than 10 ingredients.
- Chicken – I love using chicken thighs instead of breast as they are smaller, juicier, and take less time to grill.
- Cilantro – fresh cilantro adds so much flavor.
- Limes – you’ll need fresh lime juice and zest.
- Garlic – garlic adds ton of flavor and pairs amazing with lime and cilantro.
HOW TO MAKE CILANTRO LIME CHICKEN RECIPE
What I love best about this cilantro chicken is that the ingredients are super basic and you can easily double or even triple the recipe.
- Step 1: First prepare the marinade by combining cilantro, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, salt, cumin, and olive oil.
Add chicken to the marinade and let stand at room temperature for 15-20 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the salsa.
- Step 2: In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, avocado, onions, lime juice, olive oil, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Gentry toss together and set aside.
- Step 3: Pre-heat gas grill on high heat. Clean and oil the grates. When hot, add chicken thighs and cook for 10-12 minutes (about 4-5 minutes per each side) or until cooked through.
You will notice the thighs start to shrink and plump up when they are done. Remove to a serving platter and serve alongside avocado salsa.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CILANTRO LIME CHICKEN
No-fuss, simple sides is the way to go when it comes to serving this cilantro chicken. Here are some of our favorites.
- Cilantro Lime Coconut Rice – so good with this chicken!
- Watermelon Salad – you’ll be surprised how good this is.
- Mom’s Mexican Rice – incredibly easy to make.
- 3-Minute Roasted Tomato Salsa – perfect to throw together with chips.
If you try this Cilantro Lime Chicken, don’t forget to leave feedback and a rating.
30 MINUTE CILANTRO-LIME CHICKEN WITH AVOCADO SALSA
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
Flavorful cilantro-lime chicken with delicious avocado salsa will have you in and out of the chicken in about 30 minutes! It’s the perfect chicken recipe to throw on the grill.
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Zest from 2 limes
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes, seeded
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2–3 Tbsp. finely chopped red onion
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, optional
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cilantro, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, salt, cumin, and olive oil. Season with black pepper, to taste. Add chicken to the marinade and let stand at room temperature while you prepare the salsa, no more than 15-20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the grill on high heat. Clean and oil the grates. Add the chicken thighs to the grill and cook for 10-12 minutes (about 4-5 minutes per each side) or until cooked through. You will notice the thighs start to shrink and plump up when they are done.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a platter and serve with salsa.
- Combine the salsa ingredients in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with chicken.