This chicken with bell pepper dish is utterly delicious. The meat comes out tender, juicy and flavorful -because it’s marinated in both soy sauce and Shaoxing wine beforehand. This recipe will share with you how to cook the perfect chicken with delicious bell peppers.
Cooking chicken with bell pepper is a great option for any food lover. This recipe is very easy to make and you can always enjoy it in limited time.
Chicken Fajitas with Bell Peppers
Red and orange bell peppers add a festive element to this classic fajita recipe. Feel free to toss in any other varieties you have on hand.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced in strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Flour or corn tortillas, for serving
- Shredded cheese and sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Chopped avocado, chopped cilantro and salsa or chopped tomatoes, for serving (optional)
- Step 1In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil with the garlic, salt, chile powder, ground cumin, paprika, sugar and fresh lime juice. Set aside.
- Step 2Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and then stir in the chicken. Cook for 2 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned. Stir in the onion and bell pepper and cook with the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Step 3Stir in the spice mixture and cook for another 2 minutes or until everything is well combined and heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with tortillas and optional toppings.
Sautéed Chicken, Peppers and Peas
Recipe makes 6 Servings
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and julienned
1 orange bell pepper, julienned
1 medium yellow onion(s)
1 Lb Hill Country Fare Young Chicken Boneless Skinless Breasts, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp H‑E‑B Peeled Garlic Cloves, minced
4 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 Tbsp Central Market Organics Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 bag (10 oz) snap peas
Add to list
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high.
Add in bell peppers and onions. Cook until both peppers and onions are browned.
Remove vegetables from pan and add in chicken. Sauté until well browned. You may want to do this in two batches.
Once chicken is cooked through, return both chicken and peppers to pan. Add in garlic, rice wine vinegar, and red chili flakes. Stir well to combine.
Place snap peas in microwave for 3 minutes. Let chicken and peppers to cook until peas are done.
Combine all in a bowl and serve.
CHICKEN AND PEPPERS
As simple as it may be, this classic chicken and peppers recipe is quick, delicious, and perfect for dinner any day of the week! This recipe does not have many steps or ingredients because the balsamic vinegar infuses the bell peppers and chicken with so much flavor, you won’t need much else!
This easy one-skillet chicken and peppers is packed with tangy balsamic flavor!
I always find that making this dish adds some cheer to my day. With colorful peppers and wonderful smells emanating from my kitchen, it feels a bit like a party, regardless of who is coming to dinner.
Sometimes, simplicity makes the star ingredient stand out even more, and this is one of those times. Garlic, balsamic vinegar, and dried basil come together in such a delightful way.
Optional red pepper flakes can spice things up, but the real highlight is the chicken.
It makes a hearty, warming meal and even better leftovers!
Best of all, shredded chicken and pepper sandwiches will makes a perfect lunch the following days!
❤️ WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE!
It’s Flexible! It’s easy to use a little creativity in this recipe. This dish can change completely by swapping just a couple of ingredients!
Minimal Cleanup! Make dinner in just 1 pan! Fewer dishes means a dinner everyone can love.
It’s Fast! Anything I can get on the table in under 30 minutes is a win in my book.
Make sure to get the freshest peppers you can find for the best flavor. And don’t skip the secret ingredient, balsamic vinegar.
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil (Extra Virgin) – Divide your EVOO into two 1 tablespoon portions.
- 1 pound Chicken Thighs – Use boneless skinless chicken for best results.
- ½ teaspoon each, Salt & Pepper – Salt enhances the flavor of anything it’s added to. You can always add more to taste.
- ½ each, Red & Green Bell Pepper – Slice these up for a delicious and colorful highlight!
- ½ medium Yellow Onion – This is the equivalent of about ½ a cup of sliced onions.
- 1 teaspoon Garlic – About 1 minced garlic clove should be added after the chicken is cooked so it won’t burn.
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar – This isn’t just a salad dressing. It creates an amazing savory taste that elevates any dish it’s added to.
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil – If you’d rather use freshly chopped, use about 1 tablespoon.
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (optional) – I love cranking up in the heat in this recipe.
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
Mushrooms – If you want to add a little extra richness to the dish, toss in some creminis! The balsamic will compliment them nicely.
Tomatoes – Halve a few cherry tomatoes. Then, saute them with the bell pepper for a slightly sweet and fresh add-in!
Taco Seasoning – Change things up by taking out the balsamic vinegar and sprinkling in some taco seasoning with the rest of the spices in step 3. This version of chicken and peppers should be served with black beans and salsa.
Infused Olive Oil – There are a lot of unique olive oils out there that could be scrumptious in this dish. Try a clove of garlic or hot pepper-infused option.
Marinade – Place your chicken in a gallon bag of your favorite marinade in the fridge overnight! Make your own or try my Italian chicken marinade! *Marinate chicken for at least 2 hours.
Dijon – Try substituting half of the balsamic for some Dijon mustard! This is great for anyone that likes that classic Dijon flavor.
Hatch Peppers – When in season (about August-September), sliced hatch chili peppers make a great substitution for the bell peppers in this recipe. It’s perfect for anyone who likes things a tad bit spicier, and they are full of flavor!
Fish – Try swapping the chicken in this dish for a mild white fish like cod or tilapia. Pan-fry the fish on each side until cooked to satisfaction, then proceed with the recipe as normal!
🔪 STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS
There are only 4 easy steps necessary for this dish. Aside from that, you’ll need a skillet, a spatula, and silicone kitchen tongs.
- Heat. To begin, heat 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Then, sprinkle ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper over 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs. When the skillet is hot, carefully add the chicken.
- Pan-fry. Next, cook the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, pan-frying it until fully cooked. Use a thermometer to check that the temperature at the thickest part of each piece is 165℉ (75℃). Move the chicken to a plate and set it aside for later.
- Saute. Then, slice ½ a red bell pepper, ½ a green pepper, and ½ a medium yellow onion. Toss them in the skillet and saute for about 5 minutes or until tender. You should begin to smell them. Now, mix in 1 teaspoon each of garlic, dried basil, and crushed red pepper flakes. Saute for another 30 seconds until fragrant.
ADD BALSAMIC & TOSS CHICKEN
- Stir in balsamic. Pour in the 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Return the cooked chicken. Lastly, replace the chicken in the skillet and stir everything together. The sauce and spices should coat the meat.
- Serve. When everything is warmed through and coated with the sauce and seasoning, remove from heat and serve immediately.
This makes a delightful lunch or dinner and even better leftovers! Serve over steamed rice, mashed potatoes, or buttered noodles. Enjoy!
To fill out the meal, add a side of roasted broccoli with garlic and parmesan or sauteed asparagus and cherry tomatoes.
💭 ANGELA’S TIPS & RECIPE NOTES
- Any bell peppers will work. Feel free to use whatever colored bell peppers you have on hand!
- Use white wine. If you’re not into balsamic vinegar, you can easily replace it with white wine. Both add delicious flavor.
- Make sandwiches with extra portions. Leftovers make amazing sandwiches. Just shred the chicken and mix it back in with the pepper mixture. Coat a baguette with some garlic butter and fill it with chicken and peppers. Throw it under the broiler for a few minutes and enjoy. Provolone optional.
🥡 STORING & REHEATING
Store any leftovers in an airtight container. Keep refrigerated for up to 3-4 days.
Leftover chicken and peppers can be frozen for up to 4 months in an airtight container or freezer bag. Before reheating, let any frozen leftovers thaw in the fridge overnight.
REHEATING CHICKEN AND PEPPERS
To reheat leftovers, heat a skillet with the bottom just covered with water or broth. Transfer leftovers to the skillet in a single layer and cook until heated through.