Sometimes when I go out to eat, I like to order chicken with black beans and rice. And it’s delicious! Of course, if you’re looking at this recipe, then you are probably like me before I started cooking (i.e., not a very good cook.) But don’t worry — we’ll get you there! Today we’ll talk about how to make a great meal for yourself and your family. And all it takes is a few simple ingredients and some patience.
CHICKEN WITH BLACK BEANS AND RICE
- In a large pan, heat olive oil and add red pepper flakes.
- Add onion and garlic, and cook until onion is tender.
- Increase heat, add chicken, stirring until cooked.
- Lower heat to medium, add 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp cumin, and simmer 1 minute.
- Add black beans, pimentos, remaining spices, and balsamic vinegar.
- Blend and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, reseasoning if needed.
- While beans are simmering, bring broth to boil in a pan, add rice.
- Lower heat to simmer, cover, and cook 20 minutes until rice is fluffy.
- Serve bean mixture over rice.
ONE DISH CHICKEN, BLACK BEANS, AND RICE
One Dish Chicken, Black Beans, and Rice for an easy weeknight dinner. Even the rice cooks in the pan! I’m always looking for an easy dinner that I can just throw together and then forget about it. This One Dish Chicken, Black Beans, and Rice is just that!
One Dish Chicken, Black Beans, and Rice
Can I tell you that I’m really craving Mexican food these days. I’m from Arizona and we have the best Mexican food in my opinion. Florida, not so much. There are a few places that attempt it out here but mostly they specialize in Cuban and Haitian food.
I’m all about making my life easier which is why I love one-pan meals. I’ve taken it up a notch with this chicken dinner by making it a one dish meal where the rice actually cooks in the oven.
That’s right. Throw it all in a baking dish and forget about it.
Tips for making this One Dish Chicken, Black Beans, and Rice:
- Usually I don’t love thick chicken breasts and cut mine in half lengthwise for most of my recipes. This recipe is different. Because we are cooking it for a full 45 minutes for the rice to get done the chicken breasts can and should be thick so they don’t dry out. Chicken thighs would be great as well.
- For this recipe you can use mild or medium enchilada sauce. If I’m making it for my kids I always use mild enchilada sauce.
ONE DISH CHICKEN, BLACK BEANS, AND RICE
yield: 4 SERVINGS
prep time: 5 MINUTES
cook time: 45 MINUTES
total time: 50 MINUTES
One Dish Chicken, Black Beans, and Rice for an easy weeknight dinner! #chicken #dinner the-girl-who-ate-everything.com
4.4 Stars (147 Reviews)Print
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons green onions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Add the rice, broth, salsa, butter, and salt to the pan and whisk together. Sprinkle the black beans on top.
Lay the chicken breasts on top and pour the enchilada sauce on top of the whole dish.
Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45-55 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the dish and stir rice. Replace the chicken and sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil and let the cheese melt. Sprinkle with the green onions.
Baked Chicken and Rice With Black Beans
Online reviewers give this recipe five stars for being an easy weeknight dish. Because it’s brimming with veggies in addition to the rice, chicken, beans and cheese, it really is a one-dish meal.
1 hr 15 mins
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 (10-oz.) package yellow rice mix
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained
- 1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 2 cups (8 oz.) grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Step 1Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Step 2Meanwhile, sauté onion, bell pepper, and carrot in hot oil in a medium skillet over medium heat 10 minutes or until tender.
- Step 3Combine hot cooked rice, onion mixture, chicken, beans, diced tomatoes and chiles, and 1 1/2 cups cheese in a large bowl. Spoon into a lightly greased 3-qt. or 13- x 9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Step 4Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.