Chicken With Cream Of Mushroom Soup, or Chicken With Cream of Mushroom Soup, or Chicken with Cream of Mushroom Soup (and sometimes with Cheese or Bacon); all these variations of a classic recipe for chicken and tortilla soup will be equally delicious.
Chicken with cream of mushroom soup is a tasty treat that’s healthy and nutritious.
Cream of Mushroom Chicken
Cream of Mushroom Chicken dinner – if you want chicken that’s tender and juicy this is the recipe for you! With just a couple common ingredients it could not be easier to make. The creamy gravy is just begging to be served with rice, noodles or mashed potatoes!
The recipe is so easy and versatile, I wanted to show how you could make Cream of Mushroom Chicken on the stovetop.
Stovetop cream of mushroom chicken comes in handy when it’s summer and I don’t want to turn on the oven.
Or, when my oven is being used for other things like Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole or Coconut Flan for dessert!
This recipe is fantastic because you really only need two ingredients (chicken + mushroom soup) yet the flavor is PHENOMENAL.
Cream of Mushroom Chicken
I do recommend seasoning the chicken for even better flavor.
I can’t cook without salt, pepper and garlic in everything!
The black pepper complements the gravy perfectly.
For the chicken I prefer to use thin cut breasts or chicken tenders.
They cook up faster than regular split chicken breasts and they’re extra juicy and…tender!
You can use regular chicken breasts, but the cook time will be much longer than listed in the recipe below.
If you have whole chicken breasts I recommend slicing them in half lengthwise.
Season the chicken, then brown on both sides. This adds an extra layer of flavor and seals in the juices.
Pour in the cream of mushroom soup, stir, cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through.
The mushroom gravy is delicious spooned over mashed potatoes, but really tasty with whatever side you choose, such as egg noodles or rice.
Other readers have commented that they add frozen vegetables while the chicken is simmering to make this a complete meal.
Sliced mushrooms, green beans or broccoli would be yummy.
Like my pork chops recipe, the chicken can also be baked instead.
Cream of Mushroom Chicken
yield: 4 SERVINGS
prep time: 5 MINUTES
cook time: 10 MINUTES
total time: 15 MINUTES
Tender chicken is smothered in cream of mushroom soup gravy for one of the easiest skillet dinners. Serve every last drop of gravy over rice, egg noodles or mashed potatoes!
- 1 ¼ lbs boneless, skinless thin-cut chicken breasts or tenders
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (10oz) cream of mushroom soup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Noodles, rice or mashed potatoes for serving
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Season the chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Brown the chicken on both sides until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup and spread over the top. When soup begins to bubble, cover pan, lower heat to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve over noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.
If a thinner gravy is desired, whisk in ¼- ½ cup milk or water.
Tasty 2-Step Chicken Bake
- prep time:5min
- total time:30min
- calories:1771 serving
If you haven’t made this Tasty 2-Step Chicken Bake before, you should know, you will be making this a lot. It is hands-down one of the easiest, most versatile and foolproof recipes for chicken ever. Here’s what you need to do- place the chicken into a baking dish- spread the soup on top. Cover and bake. 2 ingredients and 2 steps for moist, tender chicken in a creamy gravy. And you can customize Tasty 2-Step Chicken Bake to use whatever you have on hand- it will work with different condensed cream soups or see the tips below for more ideas!
cost per recipe: $7.45
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (4 small or 2 large cut in half lengthwise for thinner pieces)
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup or 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Try Italian-Style Chicken! Stir 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning into the soup before topping the chicken. Bake as shown above. Before serving, top with 1/2 cup chopped tomato and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Chicken Bake
This easy cream of mushroom soup chicken bake takes 5 minutes to prep and is topped with a layer of melty mozzarella. Ready in about 30 minutes!
If you want a more fancy from-scratch version of this recipe with a sherry cream sauce, check out my Chicken Gloria recipe.
Cream of mushroom chicken
I’ll be the first to admit that I usually prefer to make things from scratch, but sometimes there is a place for dump and bake recipes! I think we all know that shortcuts can be a lifesaver in the midst of busy family life, and this is one easy casserole that is going to be on repeat.
This the type of recipe that’ll please picky eaters. This baked cream of mushroom chicken recipe also happens to be low carb, so it’s suitable if you’re on that diet too! Basically, it’s a fast, hearty family meal that everyone is gonna devour.
What goes into this chicken bake
- Chicken – if your chicken breasts are on the small side, leave them whole and use 4 of them. Chicken thighs would work if you prefer those.
- Garlic powder – I can’t resist infusing a savory, garlicky taste
- Italian seasoning – it’s a blend of dried herbs like rosemary and sage that comes in a single jar in the spice aisle of your grocery store. So handy!
- Pepper – being generous with pepper really amps up the flavor
- Condensed soup – we chose mushroom for this bake. “Cream of” soups can be quite salty, so use a reduced-sodium variety if that’s a consideration.
- Mozzarella – shredded mozza just pairs so well with baked chicken!
How to make it
This is an overview with step-by-step photos. Full ingredients & instructions are in the recipe card below.
Preheat the oven to 375F. Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise to make 4 thinner cutlets, place them in a 9×13 casserole dish, and season with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Pour the condensed soup directly from the can onto the chicken.
Smother each piece of chicken with shredded mozzarella, cover with foil, bake, and you’ve got a perfect cream of mushroom chicken casserole! Use an instant read meat thermometer to ensure perfectly cooked chicken every time.
Substitutions and variations
- Don’t like condensed mushroom soup? Try another variety. Cream of celery would work great, for example.
- Feel free to change up the cheese as well. Anything that melts easily would work, including a Tex-Mex or cheddar blend.
- This recipe is certainly easy to customize. It’s is a very basic version that’s a wonderful foundation for your favorite ingredients. Change up the chicken seasoning, add some lemon juice, throw in some fresh herbs, and so on. It’s so versatile!
Leftovers and storage
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container.
- To reheat, warm through in a small saucepan. You could also microwave them in small increments.
- I don’t suggest freezing leftovers. Creamy sauces don’t usually do well, even with condensed soup.