Chicken With Dates Recipes Chicken with Dates is an exotic and delicious dish; a popular recipe, generally served with rice. This dish is also known as “Dates With Chicken”. This dish has amazing flavors and cooking techniques.
Dates are sweet fruits that are high in sugar and iron. They are common ingredients in many sweet and savory dishes throughout the Middle East and North Africa. Chicken with Dates is one of the delicious and famous main dishes, which is enjoyed by everyone.
Related Post: Chicken With Chicken Broth Recipes
Chicken with Dates, Olives, and Cinnamon
This Moroccan-style chicken dish features chicken thighs simmered in a mixture of onion, olives, dates, cinnamon, and ginger. Serve over couscous for a hearty meal.
Serves 6 (serving size: 2 thighs and 1/2 cup sauce)
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 18 pitted manzanilla (or green) olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup whole pitted dates, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- Step 1 Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 10-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan; swirl to coat. Add 6 chicken thighs to the pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon butter, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and remaining 6 chicken thighs.
- Step 2 Add onion and ginger to the pan; sauté for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add olives; sauté for 1 minute. Add flour and the next 4 ingredients (through cinnamon stick); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add broth; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook for 1 minute. Return chicken to pan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 12 minutes. Stir in dates; simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is done. Stir in juice, and garnish with basil.
350 calories; fat 16g; saturated fat 4.5g; mono fat 7g; poly fat 3g; Protein 29.1g; carbohydrates 21.9g; fiber 2.7g; cholesterol 125mg; iron 2mg; sodium 580mg; calcium 47mg.
Braised Chicken with Dates
The dates give the chicken a honey-like flavor. Pair this with couscous.
1 hr 15 mins
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), cut into quarters
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced small
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 lemons, halved, for serving
- Step 1Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Cook chicken, skin side down, until browned and crisp, about 6 minutes. Flip chicken and cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Step 2Add onions to pot and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Add ginger, paprika, and coriander; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Arrange chicken evenly over onion mixture, add 2 1/2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a rapid simmer, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through 40 to 45 minutes.
- Step 3Transfer chicken to a serving dish and increase heat to high. Boil cooking liquid until reduced by half, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in dates and cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and serve with lemon halves.
If you can’t find a quartered chicken, use 4 split chicken breasts or leg quarters.
Related Post: Chicken With Sauce Recipes Easy
Moroccan chicken couscous with dates
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep:10 mins
- Cook:25 mins
- Serves 4
Wholewheat grains keep you fuller for longer – flavor with dates, lemon, cumin, and cinnamon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g skinless chicken thigh
- 140g wholewheat couscous
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- zest 2 lemons, juice of 1
- 350ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 large dates, pitted and chopped (Medjool are nice)
- 50g flaked almond
- small bunch of parsley, chopped
Related Post: Crockpot Chicken With Italian Dressing Packet
- STEP 1Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 4. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Season the chicken, then cook for 10 mins or until browned on both sides. Remove and put in a large baking dish with the dry couscous.
- Step 2Heat the remaining oil in the pan, add the onions and garlic, and cook for 5 mins until softened. Add the zest and juice of 1 lemon along with the stock, cumin, cinnamon, and dates, then bring to a boil.
- Step 3Pour the date mixture over the chicken and couscous, sprinkle over the almonds, cover with foil and bake for 20 mins. Serve sprinkled with the remaining zest and parsley.