Chicken with Mushroom Soup Casserole is a delicious meal that’s easy to make and tastes great too! I love casseroles, they are my comfort meal of choice when in need of comfort. Chicken with Mushroom Soup Casserole is one that I have been making for years and it never disappoints. It’s easy to throw together, has a comforting flavor, and all the ingredients you love, making this dish very kid friendly.
Hearty Chicken & Noodle Casserole
- prep time:20min
- total time:45min
- calories:3611 serving
Comfort food at its finest, this chicken and noodle casserole recipe uses our delicious Mushroom Soup to add creaminess and flavor to chicken, noodles and veggies. If you’re looking to save time during the week, this dish freezes well and can be made ahead. See recipe tips to learn how. You might also like: Country Chicken Casserole which has a layer of stuffing instead of noodles, or Super Chicken Casserole which has the best of both.
cost per recipe: $5.56
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup or 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 cup reduced fat (2%) milk
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, green beans, corn, peas)
- 2 cups cubed boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups medium egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Transforming leftovers is simple with easy casserole recipes like this one. Cooked chicken, turkey or ham will all work in this recipe.See more
- Step 1Stir the soup, milk, vegetables, chicken, noodles, Parmesan cheese and black pepper in a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Step 2Bake at 400°F. for 25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir the chicken mixture. Sprinkle with the Cheddar cheese.
DUMP-AND-BAKE CHICKEN MUSHROOM CASSEROLE
You don’t even have to boil the pasta or pre-cook the chicken! For a healthy and easy dinner recipe with just 5 minutes of prep, you can’t beat a dump-and-bake chicken mushroom casserole! This one dish meal pleases even the pickiest palates, and it’s delicious served alongside a Caesar salad, biscuits, cornbread, or bacon-wrapped asparagus.
CREAM OF MUSHROOM CHICKEN CASSEROLE
Don’t think that your kids like mushrooms? Well, think again! Your little ones will adore the mild, creamy taste of this sauce, which coats the tender chicken, sliced mushrooms, and pasta in this easy weeknight dinner. Best of all, the dump-and-bake chicken mushroom casserole is ready for the oven in about 5 minutes, since you don’t have to pre-cook the chicken, you don’t have to saute the mushrooms in a skillet, and you don’t have to boil the noodles!
With only a few basic pantry staples and minimal hands-on prep, you can serve your family a wholesome and creamy pasta bake. It makes mealtime simple, so that you can focus on other more important things. Homework? Laundry? Baths? The list goes on, but at least you don’t have to worry about what’s for dinner!
This is just a quick overview of the ingredients that you’ll need for a chicken mushroom casserole. As always, specific measurements and step-by-step cooking instructions are included in the printable recipe box at the bottom of the post.
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup: I typically use the Campbell’s Healthy Request variety, but any similar option will work well.
- Milk: a little bit of liquid to thin the soup and make the creamy sauce.
- Low-sodium chicken broth or water: to thin the sauce and to provide some extra cooking liquid for the pasta to absorb as it softens.
- Dried thyme, kosher salt, garlic powder, and ground black pepper: simple seasonings that give the dish a little bit of extra flavor.
- Mushrooms: pick up a container of pre-sliced fresh mushrooms for even quicker prep — no cleaning or cutting required! White button mushrooms, baby bella mushrooms, and cremini mushrooms will all work.
- Chicken: cut up raw, boneless, skinless chicken breast into bite-size pieces. The meat will cook in the oven along with the pasta. You can substitute with boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer the dark meat.
- Penne pasta: just toss the dry pasta right into the dish — it will cook inside the dish in the oven!
- Sour cream: for a richer, creamier sauce. Make sure that your sour cream is at room temperature.
- Mozzarella cheese: grated mozzarella is a nice finishing touch on top of the casserole. You can use just about any other cheese that you like, too. For instance, try grated cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack, Colby, or Pepper Jack.
- Grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley: optional garnishes for the finished dish!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN CASSEROLE WITH CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
This dump-and-bake chicken mushroom casserole makes weeknight dinners quick and easy!
- Whisk together the chicken broth, condensed soup, milk, thyme, salt, garlic powder, and pepper to make the creamy sauce.
- Add the uncooked penne pasta, the uncooked chicken, and the sliced mushrooms. This looks like a lot of liquid, but the pasta will absorb most of the sauce while the casserole bakes.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased 8-inch square baking dish; cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake the casserole, covered, in a 425°F oven for 35-40 minutes, until the pasta is almost tender.
- Remove the foil and give everything a good stir in the dish.
- Stir in the sour cream, and sprinkle the mozzarella on top.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake, uncovered, for 5 more minutes, until the pasta is tender, the chicken is cooked through, and the cheese is melted.
- Let the dish stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley, then enjoy!
Creamy Chicken Casserole (VIDEO)
Creamy Chicken Casserole with mushrooms is a treasure of a recipe. It’s popularly called “Chicken Gloria” and it will win you over. This chicken bake is the perfect party dish and is a reader favorite.
Why we love this Chicken Bake
Crowd-Pleaser! Galina (my sister’s mama-in-law) is an amazing cook and this is her chicken and mushroom casserole. It is always a hit at parties and church potlucks. We make this often.
POPULAR RIGHT NOW
The chicken is incredibly tender – you will savor every morsel. I’ve seen sorta-somewhat similar recipes online referred to as Chicken Gloria, but I love that this one is made from scratch. It uses simple, non-canned ingredients (no cream of chicken soup needed).
Reheats Well – This chicken and mushroom casserole also re-heats really well (if you are lucky enough to have leftovers). You will likely add this recipe to your list of favorites.
Ingredients for Chicken Casserole
The ingredients for this recipe are surprisingly simple but they just work (see full printable ingredient list below):
- Chicken breast (or chicken tenders)
- Chicken broth
- Half and half*
- All-purpose flour (or use a GF substitute)
- Onion – it disappears into the sauce
- Garlic – don’t skip it
- Lemon juice – fresh is best
*What is half and half? Half and half is basically light cream. If you aren’t able to find “half and half” at your grocery store, you can substitute with equal parts of milk and heavy cream.
Can I Substitute the Mushrooms?
You can replace white mushrooms with portabello mushrooms. If you don’t like mushrooms, you can substitute with different vegetables, just pick sturdy veggies (avoid zucchini which turns mushy). Here are some great options to replace mushrooms:
- Frozen peas
- Caramelized onions
- Artichoke hearts (well-drained)
How to Make Chicken Casserole
1. Sautee Chicken: Season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. Heat 3 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Once the oil is hot, add chicken and saute until golden, and transfer to a 13×9 casserole baking dish.
Pro Tip: Work in batches if needed so you don’t crowd your pan. Don’t worry about cooking the chicken through; it still needs to go in the oven
2. Sautee Mushrooms: Add 3 Tbsp oil along and saute mushrooms and onions until soft and golden. Add garlic and saute another 1-2 min. Spread mixture over the chicken.
3. Make the Sauce: In a medium saucepan (or in the same pan you’ve been using), melt 3 Tbsp butter. Whisk in 3 Tbsp flour until lightly golden (1-2 min). Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp pepper, and whisk until smooth. Add 1 cup half & half and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Combine and Bake: Pour sauce over the chicken casserole. Cover with foil and bake chicken and mushroom casserole at 350˚F for 45 minutes. Garnish with parsley if desired.
This chicken bakes in gravy so it is great served over Creamy Mashed Potatoes or Egg noodles (the same way we serve Beef Stroganoff). It’s also great paired with these fresh sides:
- Baked Asparagus
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Caesar Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Can I substitute the chicken breast?
You can use trimmed chicken thighs or chicken tenders instead. If using chicken tenders, you don’t need to slice them.
Can I Make this ahead?
Make and combine the chicken and mushrooms and refrigerate. The next day, make the sauce, assemble, and bake as directed.
Does chicken casserole reheat well?
Yes, you can reheat a pre-baked and chilled chicken casserole in the oven: cover with foil and bake at 325˚f for about 20 minutes or just until hot, or reheat on the stovetop over low heat just until hot, stirring occasionally.
Can I freeze chicken casserole?
Yes! You can freeze leftover chicken casserole. One of my readers shared her method: “It works! I took the pan out of the freezer, left it in the fridge most of the day, and reheated it in a 350* oven for about 40 minutes.”
Cooking in a crock pot or slow cooker?
One of our readers reported great results using a multi-cooker/ slow cooker: brown the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker using the sautee function and remove. Sautée onions and mushrooms then return chicken to the pan. Combine sauce ingredients in a pan on the stove, pour it over the chicken, and slow-cook on low for five hours.