Have you ever tried to make Chicken With Mushroom Soup Recipe? It’s delicious, straight from the tap. I’ll show you how to make it, step by step.
I know what you’re thinking. The last thing you want to do after a long day at work is to stand over a hot stove and cook. But I have a solution for that! This recipe for Chicken with Mushroom Soup can be made in the crockpot without any fuss or muss.
Chicken Mushroom Soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time25 mins
- 5-10 minutes preparation
- Serves 4
Great and easy recipe by Diana Rattray. make a professional tasty soup at home.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1 large rib celery, diced
- 12 to 16 ounces sliced mushrooms, a combination of fresh mushroom varieties, if desired
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- STEP 1In a large saucepan, heat butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and stir until tender but not browned.
- STEP 2Add diced chicken, carrot, and celery; cook, stirring, until chicken is nearly cooked through.
- STEP 3Add the mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring, until mushrooms are tender. Stir in flour until blended; add chicken broth and thyme.
- STEP 4Bring to a simmer, stirring. Cover and reduce heat to low; cook for about 10 to 16 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste; stir in cream and heat through
Chicken and Mushroom Soup
Easy and comforting Chicken and Mushroom Soup. 30 minutes from start to table! Add rice or pasta, you pick, it’s delicous both ways!
We opted for rice this time but have made this plenty of time using pasta.
Serve this a chicken and mushroom soup along side our delicious Cheddar and Onion Biscuits and everybody will love you! We love it when everybody loves you!
Start with your basic blend of carrots, celery and onion. Thats called a mirepoix for you fancy frenchy types :).
Adding sliced mushrooms deepens the flavor of this simple and easy to prepare soup to another level. Not your everyday chicken soup!
Why we love this Chicken and Mushroom Soup –
- It’s easy and it uses fresh ingredients you may already have on hand.
- It’s a perfect soup for either rice or pasta. Just depends on how your feeling on your soup day.
- It makes a large pot of soup which you can enjoy for several meals.
- It’s a good reason to make biscuits. If there is bread, they will come to the table.
What are the ingredients for this soup?
- Cooked Chicken – one large chicken breast, leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken works great!
- 1 cup of rice or 1 1/2 cups of small pasta like elbow macaroni or bowties. Broken up spaghetti or fettucine works great too.
- Mushrooms – we used crimini but white will work just fine
- Thyme – fresh is you can!
- Good chicken stock. Low sodium variety so you can control the seasoning.
- See the recipe card below for full details
CHICKEN MUSHROOM SOUP
Chicken Mushroom Soup with homemade noodles is a cozy comfort meal that really satisfies on a cold day. A hearty soup with plenty of chicken, mushrooms, carrots and onions in a delicious broth.
When it comes to comfort food, soup is at the top of the list and we love Tuscan Sausage and Potato Soup and this Stuffed Pepper Soup.
CHICKEN MUSHROOM SOUP ~ HOMEMADE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
If you are looking for hearty comfort food, this chicken mushroom noodle soup is filled with tasty flavors with big chunks of chicken and vegetables. Serve it up with Easy Garlic Bread for a family favorite meal.
For the Homemade Noodles:
- All Purpose Flour
- Kosher Salt
- Large Eggs
- Olive Oil
For the Soup:
- Olive Oil
- Cooked Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Broth
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Dried Thyme
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE NOODLES:
- In a bowl combine the flour with salt and sugar.
- Add eggs, milk and olive oil.
- Mix with a dough whisk or wooden spoon until combined and dough comes together in a ball.
- Roll dough out into a thin layer on a well floured board with a rolling pin.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into thin strips.
- Place noodles on a rimmed baking sheet sprinkled with flour.
- Noodles can be dried and stored in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to use or used immediately.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN MUSHROOM SOUP:
Add olive oil to a large skillet and add sliced mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring often until mushrooms are caramelized.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to a dutch oven or large soup pan. Cook diced onions, garlic and carrots over medium heat until vegetables are softened, about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth.
- Add salt, pepper and thyme.
- Stir in diced chicken.
- Bring the mixture to a low boil.
- Add noodles, cooking until noodles are tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in mushrooms. Adding the mushrooms at the end of the cooking time will give them the best texture.
- Serve immediately.
RECIPE NOTES AND VARIATIONS:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Chicken: We used our grilled Meal Prep Chicken for this recipe. Any cooked chicken will work.
- Noodles: If you don’t want to make the homemade noodles, substitute homestyle or Amish noodles.
- Vegetables: Add your favorite vegetables, soup is really easy to customize with your the vegetables you prefer. Skip the mushrooms if you aren’t a fan.
- Storage: Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Freeze up to 6 months.
- Reheat: Reheat soup in a pan over medium heat. Add additional chicken broth or water if needed. Stir often, cooking until heated through.