Chicken with mushrooms and onions is a classic chicken recipe. I make this dish all the time, usually on Tuesday afternoons. Yes, Tuesdays are special to me. Chicken with mushrooms and onions is a simple recipe that takes only a half an hour to prepare and cook. This dish is perfect for preparing with whatever fresh ingredients you have on hand. It’s delicious dairy free, gluten free and also grain free!
EASY CREAMY CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS AND ONIONS
- 2chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
- 6 -7medium mushrooms, cut into chunky slices
- 1⁄2medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄2cup vegetable stock or 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4cup single cream (half and half)
- 1tablespoon flour, mixed with a little water into a paste
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4cup fresh parsley (optional) or 1/4 cup basil, chopped finely (optional)
- Heat a little oil in a skillet and add chicken, fry over medium heat until the chicken is sealed.
- Add onions and continue to fry until they are starting to become transparent.
- Add mushrooms and fry for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock.
- Mix in the flour paste and bring to a boil, simmer till sauce begins to thicken.
- Stir in the cream and herbs (if using) and serve imidiately over pasta, rice or potatoes.
SKILLET CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOM AND ONION SAUCE
Skillet Chicken with Mushroom and Onion Sauce– a quick and easy one pot skillet dinner perfect for busy weeknights when you crave something fresh and comforting.
There are busy weeknights when I can’t seem to pull together a well-planned out meal and I find myself staring at a fridge, trying to cobble something together with the ingredients on hand. One evening, my husband and I had a random craving for Chicken Marsala- only to realize we didn’t have any marsala. Or wine (which in this house is really a rare occurrence, but I digress.) We had all the other parts to make a delicious chicken dish though- and decided to wing it, and come up with our own new recipe.
This delicious, easy Skillet Chicken with Mushroom and Onion Sauce recipe is what I came up with- and my husband and I both agreed we might actually like it even more than our go-to chicken marsala recipe!
This dinner takes only one pot- so it’s easy to clean up, and easy to make. There is minimal work- just a little stirring, and watching that it doesn’t burn or stick- and it is a great way to use up ingredients you have sitting around before they go off. We seem to always have some mushrooms and chicken in the fridge, so this was a no-brainer!
This dish is easy enough for busy weeknights, but also makes for an impressive dinner party main. Simply double (or triple) the dish to make as much as you need! If you’re making a bigger batch, the only thing to change up in the cooking method is to be sure you don’t overcrowd the pan so the chicken can get a great sear. Simply brown the chicken in batches- but once the chicken is browned, it can all cook in the same pot.
SKILLET CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOM AND ONION SAUCE
Skillet Chicken with Mushroom and Onion Sauce- a quick and easy one pot skillet dinner perfect for busy weeknights when you crave something fresh and comforting.
- 2 tbsp olive oil , or ghee
- 1 lb chicken , breasts
- 1 onion
- 12-15 cremini mushrooms, or 12oz any mushrooms you have on hand
- 1 cup chicken stock , or wine
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 2-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a heavy skillet, heat ghee or olive oil on medium until shimmery.
- Add chicken to skillet and brown (we’re just getting a nice sear here- not cook the chicken through).
- Remove chicken, set aside on a plate with a paper towel.
- Add onion to pan, cook until slightly browned.
- Add mushrooms to pan and continue cooking until they are slightly browned.
- Add garlic, thyme, stir to incorporate.
- Add chicken stock and add chicken back to pan.
- Cook, uncovered, until sauce has thickened and chicken reaches an internal temperature of 175 degrees.
- Remove from stove and let the chicken rest and carryover cook to 180 degrees, about 5 minutes.
- Plate and serve!
Skillet Chicken with Mushrooms and Caramelized Onion
- 5 tablespoons Olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1.5 pounds Boneless chicken breasts ; cut into 3-inch pieces
- 4 cups Onions ; thinly sliced
- 1 pound Cremini Mushrooms ; thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Parsley ; roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan ; grated
In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 T olive oil, 2 T sherry vinegar, the honey, mustard, red-pepper flakes, Kosher salt and pepper
Whisk until smooth
Add chicken pieces to the mixture, coating it well
Set aside at room temperature, stirring it once
Heat a 12-inch cast-iron or heavy skillet over medium-high until very hot, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes
Add the onions, season with salt, then cook, mostly undisturbed, for 4 minutes more, stirring every minute or so
Add the mushrooms and stir to combine
Allow to cook mostly undisturbed until the mushrooms shrink and start to brown, about 4 minutes, stirring every minute or so
Stir in the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil
Allow the onions to cook until they start to color, stirring and lowering the heat as necessary to avoid burning, about 2 minutes Push the onions and mushrooms to the edges of the skillet, then add the chicken pieces to the center
Pour any remaining marinade (there will be very little) over the onions and mushrooms
Cook undisturbed for 4 to 5 minutes, then mix together the chicken and vegetables
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes more
Add the remaining 1 T sherry vinegar, stirring and scraping up anything on the bottom of the skillet
Season to taste with salt
Remove from the heat and top with the parsley and cheese
Serve with bread or pasta