Making your own Chicken With Onion Recipe can add a new level of comfort and familiarity in your kitchen. The key to preparing this specific recipe is patience and a whole lot of bacon flavor.
Chicken With Onion Recipe is from our collection of best recipes. Chefs have tips to share with you in Urdu for best chicken dishes, Pakistani Recipes and International Pakistani dishes
French Onion Chicken
We love that this recipe comes together in one pan and in less than an hour. Dunking good bread into the extra pan sauce is highly encouraged.
PREP TIME:0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME:0 HOURS 45 MINS
extra-virgin olive oil
large onion, halved and thinly sliced
freshly chopped thyme
Freshly ground black pepper
cloves garlic, crushed
boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2.5-cm pieces
low-sodium beef stock
Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add onions and season with salt, pepper, and thyme. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are caramelised and jammy, about 25 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Turn off heat and remove onion mixture. Wipe skillet clean.
- In a large bowl, season chicken with salt, pepper and oregano, then toss with flour. Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden on all sides and mostly cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Add beef stock and return caramelised onions to pan. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through and beef stock reduces slightly, about 10 more minutes.
- Add Gruyère and cover pan with a lid. Cook until cheese is melty, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and garnish with parsley before serving
Chicken with Onions and Garli
- 1 whole roaster chicken (about 4 pounds), cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 onions, quartered lengthwise
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 sprigs thyme, plus more for garnish
- Step 1Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Rinse chicken pieces; pat dry. Brush chicken with butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Step 2Place chicken in a small roasting pan. Arrange onions, garlic, and thyme sprigs over and under chicken. Roast; after 20 minutes, baste with pan drippings. Continue roasting until chicken is golden and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a platter, and set aside.
- Step 3Pour pan drippings through a sieve into a small bowl; discard solids. Arrange onions and all but three garlic cloves around chicken on platter. Whisk remaining garlic cloves with pan juices. Strain juices again; discard solids. Pour sauce over chicken; serve garnished with thyme sprigs.
Caramelized Onion and Garlic Chicken
|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)SAVE RECIPE
This caramelized onion and garlic chicken recipe is a good choice for a dinner party in the fall or winter when comfort food is so appealing. And while it’s nice enough for a party, it’s also so easy to make that it is doable on a weeknight.
Caramelized onions make a terrific addition to a wide variety of dishes. The browning eliminates the sour flavor, replacing it with both a savory and sweet touch. In addition, the onion and garlic mixture keeps the chicken breasts moist and tender.
To save some time at dinnertime, making the caramelized onions ahead of time. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. If you have a big enough skillet, consider doubling the onions since they taste great on sandwiches or burgers, with sausage, or tossed with pasta.
Serve caramelized onion and garlic chicken with sauteed or steamed green beans, asparagus, or broccoli and roasted or mashed potatoes for a satisfying meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large yellow or sweet onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes, or until soft. If the onions start to crisp, reduce the heat.
- Stir in the brown sugar and vinegar and cook for 6 to 7 minutes, stirring often, or until the onions are lightly caramelized. Remove from the heat.
- Oil a baking dish with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and place the chicken in the dish in a single layer, bone-side down. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the onion and garlic mixture over the top of the chicken breasts.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F. Check the temperature in the thickest part of the chicken pieces. Cover loosely with foil if the onions are getting too dark or dry toward the end of the cooking time.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- The sweetness of the onions pairs nicely with bacon. Add a strip or two of bacon to the top of each chicken breast and top with the onions and garlic.
- White, yellow, or sweet onions work best for this recipe. Sweet onions yield a sweeter caramelized onion.
- Roasting bone-in, skinless chicken breasts yields juicier meat than boneless meat. If using boneless chicken breasts, the cooking time will be shorter. Start checking the internal temperature after 15 minutes.