Chicken with pita bread is very easy and delicious, especially when grilled. Many of you may wonder what pita bread is, but it is not just a type of bread. It is actually a flat circle-shaped bread that has already been cooked and eaten by many countries around the world.
This Middle Eastern dish, Chicken with Pita Bread, is simply delicious. It is so flavorful and spicy. I love chicken with all types of bread, pita bread being a favorite. Cooked plain or spiced up is always fun and you’ll enjoy this easy recipe.
Grilled Chicken Pita Sandwich
Marinate Time:2 hrs
Total:2 hrs 18 mins
|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
(Nutrition data is calculated using an ingredient database and is only a rough approximation.)
People continue to return for more of our chicken pita bread sandwich. The ideal lunch is a piping-hot, soft pita with vegetables and chunks of marinated chicken breast.
Nearly every meal in the Middle East includes pita bread. It can be used to make mouthwatering sandwiches in the pocket or for dipping. In the Middle East, pita is prepared in brick ovens, which may produce extremely intense heat. In a home kitchen, it is quite difficult to replicate, but this recipe, when paired with high heat, comes pretty near.
For the Chicken:
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, trimmed of all visible fat
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
For the Pita:
- 1 medium red or yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced thin
- 4 pita breads, halved
Steps to Make It
- All the chicken ingredients should be combined in a medium bowl and marinated for at least two hours.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and slice it thinly, between 1/4 and 1/2 inch.
- A medium frying pan should have 3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil in it. Add chicken and raise heat to medium-high. Chicken should be cooked for around 8 minutes, stirring to ensure equal cooking.
- Veggies and chicken should be combined in a medium bowl. Add any sauce or condiment of choice. Use as much as desired.
- Using an oven or microwave, reheat pita bread. assemble chicken and vegetables within pita.
- Serve with french fries right away.
You can serve pita with a variety of sauces. Using a condiment dispenser, you can squirt the sauce on like ketchup or use it as a dip in the au jus fashion. There are also these more sauce choices to consider:
- Tahini sauce
- Falafel hot sauce
- Tarator sauce
- Yogurt garlic sauce
- Favorite salad dressing like ranch, Italian, etc.
Peri Peri Chicken Pitas
Juicy Peri Peri chicken stuffed inside pitas with all your favourite fillings. This truly is the best Nando’s style chicken pita!
The BEST Chicken Pitas!
I promise – chicken pitas don’t come more delicious than this 😋Here’s why you’re gonna LOVE them:
- Peri Peri chicken – here I’ll show you the easiest and most delicious way to make homemade peri peri chicken.
- More of what you love – nothing worse than a chicken pita that’s 90% salad. These are packed with hearty ingredients!
- Flavour – these pitas are absolutely bursting with flavour.
They’re filling enough to have as a hearty lunch and really easy to make ahead of time. First things first, let’s talk chicken.
Peri Peri Chicken
The peri peri chicken is the star of the show here so it’s important to allow it to shine. For this recipe we’ll be using chicken thighs. Thighs are more suitable than breast to use for a couple of reasons:
- Flavour – thighs are fattier than breast and tend to be more flavoursome in comparison.
- Char – we want to lightly char the chicken to give a deep smoky flavour and mimic that classic BBQ char. Charring breast is more difficult as it dries out quicker and usually by the time it’s charred, it’s slightly overcooked through the centre.
Can I use chicken breast?
If breast is all you have then it still works perfectly fine! I’ve added a note on this in the recipe card.
How to make Peri Peri Chicken (quick summary)
- Get the chicken to room temperature.
- Lay on top of cling film.
- thin out.
- Olive oil and peri peri spice are added.
- Totally cover.
- Once blackened, flip the food over and baste it with peri peri sauce.
- Once done, place the sauce-side down.
- Rest after another basting.
Top Tip – two important steps to ensure your chicken comes out juicy. First is to bring it to bring it close to room temp (cold chicken seizes up when it hits the pan and turns out tough and dry). Second is to allow it to rest so it can retains it’s juices before slicing.
Chicken Pita Fillings
Okay, chicken done, let’s talk fillings. Here’s the usual suspects for me:
- Hummus – The heart and soul of the pita and marries all the flavours together.
- Roasted Red Peppers – Homemade or store bought, I’ve added a section on this in the recipe card.
- Spinach – or greens of choice.
- Halloumi – pan fried halloumi takes these pitas through the roof!
Chicken Avocado Pita Sandwich (Healthy Chicken Pitas)
Pita sandwiches with chicken are a delicious and healthy lunch alternative. For workdays, this chicken avocado sandwich is ideal. Delicious and simple to make! Healthy lunches do not have to taste bland, as demonstrated by these Chicken Avocado Pita Pockets.
Chicken Pocket Pita
This tasty chicken pita pocket is incredibly simple to prepare. Pita sandwiches with chicken and avocado are the ideal healthy lunch option!
What do you know I adore? when the wholesome meals prove to be the most delicious! We all know we need nutritious recipes, even though I’m not always the greatest lover. So finding a healthy meal that tastes equally as good as a fatty one is the best! That is what this Chicken Avocado Pita Sandwich is. It is healthy for you AND it tastes wonderful. Win!
Avocado, chicken, tomatoes, and Greek yogurt are just a few of the healthful components that go into these chicken pita pockets. It’s loaded with nutrients, filling throughout the day, and simple to prepare. Because everything in this chicken avocado sandwich is packed into tiny pita pockets, eating it is also made simple.
One of our all-time favorite healthy lunchtime sandwiches is a chicken pita. You may quickly put them together and have a lovely lunch to enjoy at work. They are SO excellent!
These Healthy Chicken Avocado Pita Pockets are a lifesaver. They’re easy to make AND they’re good for you!
Healthy Chicken Avocado Sandwich
A recipe must be delicious and simple if it is to be considered healthful. Fortunately, all of the things are present in these chicken pita sandwiches! When putting together lunch takes no time at all, eating healthily is simple. These are a typical meal on days when you’re busy.
I picture us preparing these Chicken Avocado Sandwiches when the weather warms, sipping spiked raspberry sweet tea outside on the terrace, and watching Dill explore the big outdoors. So these pita pockets are ideal for lunches for both work and more laid-back days at home.
How to Make Chicken Pita Sandwiches
These quick-to-prepare Chicken Avocado Pita Sandwiches can be enjoyed hot or cold. They will please even the most particular group! The fresh avocado and cherry tomatoes have such vibrant hues, and the Greek yogurt sauce gives the sandwiches an extra creamy texture. Because these chicken pita pockets combine healthy with tasty, you don’t have to feel bad about eating them so much.
Chicken Avocado Pita Ingredients:
- Pita Pockets
- Shredded Chicken
- Greek Yogurt
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Swiss Cheese
- Garlic Salt
- Lemon Juice
How to Make Chicken Pita Pockets:
- Each pita pocket should have a slice of cheese inside.
- Greek yogurt and garlic salt should be combined in a small bowl and left to stand.
- Combine avocados, tomatoes, lemon juice, and cilantro in a separate bowl.
- The precooked chicken is browned in a skillet before being divided among the pita pockets.
- Place the chicken on a plate, drizzle the yogurt mixture over it, and then spoon the avocado/tomato filling into each pita.
They taste amazing served cold, but you could also heat them up on the skillet or in a sandwich maker. Either way, they are so delicious!
Healthy Pita Sandwich for Lunch
Weekly healthy eating might be really challenging. You hardly have enough time in the morning to make food, much less eat at work. One of the greatest and simplest meals to prepare for weekday lunches is a healthy sandwich. Making this filling chicken avocado sandwich takes hardly any time at all. Make one in the morning and take it with you to avoid having to eat anything unhealthy during lunch.