This easy recipe for chicken with roasted red peppers combines the flavors of fresh basil, Parmesan, and sun-dried tomatoes with the sweet tang of vinegar and pungency of roasted red peppers
A weekend chicken dinner – if it helps get you through the crazy mornings of last minute school clothes shopping, Pop-Tart nibbling breakfasting and too much screen time – is one that’s worth the effort.
Baked Chicken Casserole with Basil and Roasted Peppers
Make this easy baked chicken breast casserole recipe in under 45 minutes! Fresh basil, roasted red peppers, orange juice and lemon make this recipe a keeper.
We always have a jar of roasted red peppers in our pantry. We love how versatile, colorful and flavorful they are. We’ll often add them to salads, sandwiches, snacks, dips and even casserole recipes. One of those jars was the inspiration for this easy baked chicken recipe. The bright red color of the peppers make the casserole jump of the table.
More from Inspired Taste
How to Make This Chicken Casserole with Roasted Red Peppers and Basil
This casserole is very simple to make and jumps off the table.
Along with the peppers, we add fresh basil, orange juice, lemon juice, and garlic. The casserole comes together in minutes and is perfect served with a side of rice, mashed potatoes, or mashed cauliflower to soak up all the extra (and flavorful) cooking liquid.
To make it, line up sliced chicken breast, jarred roasted red peppers and fresh basil leaves. Then pour in a mixture of orange and lemon juice. The juice keeps the chicken incredibly moist and makes such a delicious cooking liquid.
Then bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. See how there is still lots of liquid? That’s why we always serve with something that will soak it up — that liquid is pure gold!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: It’s so simple to make this chicken enchiladas recipe with salsa verde, chicken, sour cream, cheese and cilantro. The perfect quick and easy dinner.
Baked Chicken Casserole with Basil and Roasted Peppers
- PREP 15mins
- COOK 30mins
- TOTAL 45mins
This simple baked chicken recipe is perfect for busy nights. When you serve it think about serving with rice or mashed potatoes (vegetables work, too). The chicken is cooked in lots of cooking liquid made from orange juice, lemon juice and garlic, so when you serve the chicken you can spoon lots of that same cooking liquid over the chicken and any side dish. It’s delicious.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
YOU WILL NEED
1 1/2-pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers
1/2 cup (120 ml) orange juice
1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1 bunch fresh basil
2 tablespoons butter
- PREPARE CASSEROLE
- TO FINISH
CREAMY ROASTED RED PEPPER CHICKEN
Ready for an embarrassing story? Many months ago I posted a photo on Instagram Stories of this creamy roasted red pepper chicken that I made, and a follower asked for the recipe. I told her that I would absolutely post it on my blog—and then completely dropped the ball. Like, really. It’s been months. So this is dedicated to her.
Did you guys know that chicken recipes are consistently a top search term on Google and Pinterest? People are obsessed with finding new ways to cook this versatile meat because let’s be honest, chicken can get boring really quick.
However, I find that chicken is a lot more tolerable to eat when paired with a thick, creamy, cheesy sauce—like this roasted red pepper sauce. Or this creamy Tuscan sauce. Or this cheesy pasta. You get the picture.
For this recipe, I like to pair it with a simple roasted vegetable. It makes a lot of sauce, so you can easily scoop up the leftover sauce and put it on whatever vegetable you have to pair! I made this batch of roasted red pepper chicken with roasted asparagus, which I cooked similarly to how I make roasted Brussels sprouts—but only roasted them at 400 for about 20 minutes.
GETTING ROASTED RED PEPPERS FOR THIS RECIPE
Sure, you could find a jar of pre-made roasted red peppers at the store, but did you know it’s actually really easy to make? I have a tutorial on how to roast red peppers that you can prep for this recipe, and for other future recipes! Enjoy the leftover roasted red with some soft boiled eggs, on a breakfast sandwich, or even topped on a salad!
SIDES TO GO WITH YOUR CHICKEN
Make it a meal by making one of these easy sides.
- Zucchini Fritters
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Oven-Baked Fries
Alright, here’s the recipe! Now what recipes do you want me to make? I promise I won’t drop the ball so hard this time…
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Chicken
This creamy roasted red pepper chicken is easy to throw together and goes great with roasted vegetables!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Keyword: chicken, chicken dinner, chicken recipe
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 lb. chicken tenderloins
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers diced
- 2 oz. cream cheese cubed
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Season both sides of the chicken tenderloins with salt and pepper.
- Heat up a skillet over medium heat with 1/2 of the tablespoon of butter.
- Cook the chicken tenderloins in the skillet on each side for 3-4 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink on the inside.
- Turn off the heat and remove the cooked chicken to a plate.
- Add in the other 1/2 tablespoon of butter to the skillet and turn the heat back on. Sprinkle in the diced roasted red peppers and the minced garlic cloves. Stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, then add in the cream cheese cubes. Break up the cream cheese with a wooden spoon until it is fully incorporated into the sauce
- Sprinkle in the parmesan cheese, mix until melted.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet, pouring some of the sauce over the tenderloins. Heat up for one more minute, then serve with roasted vegetables.
CHICKEN BREASTS WITH ROASTED RED PEPPERS
- 4boneless skinless chicken breasts, 6 ounces each
- 1⁄2cup all-purpose flour
- 3tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2garlic cloves, minced
- 1(7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, cut into strips
- 3⁄4cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 2tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2teaspoons sugar
- 1tablespoon butter
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Place each breast between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound to an even 1/2-inch thickness. Sprinkle with salt. Coat with flour, shaking off excess.
- Warm 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and cover loosely.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet. Saute garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add peppers and saute 1 minute more.
- Add broth, vinegar and sugar; bring to a boil, scaping up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter and parsley until butter melts.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve immediately.