Chicken with stuffing in crock pot is the perfect recipe if you are looking to prepare a filling and delicious dinner that tastes like it took hours to make. Isn’t it great when something you have lying around becomes an unexpected recipe? Such is the case with this recipe. The ingredients looked like they could be turned into a delicious stuffing, so I thought, why not throw them in a crock pot?
Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing (Also Instant Pot Friendly!)
This easy Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing recipe includes seasoned chicken with savory stuffing and vegetables. Serve it casserole style or with gravy and mashed potatoes! (PLUS, it’s also Instant Pot friendly!)
Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing
I think I’ve made it more than any other recipe on my blog. This meal is perfect for anyone who’s busy and needs a quick dump and go dinner. (And I do believe that is all of us.)
I love mixing this up and serving it casserole-style, or pairing it with homemade mashed potatoes and easy chicken gravy.
BONUS: I’ve updated this post to be Instant Pot friendly! (It was originally published in 2014.)
The ingredients are super simple, so let’s start with that.
- Chicken Breasts
- Italian Seasoning
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Sour Cream- See below for substitutes
- Stuffing Mix- Such as Stove Top
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- Green Beans- Fresh or Frozen
Optional Stuffing Additions:
- Dried Cranberries
- Sausage- Cooked or Uncooked. I use Brown ‘N Serve Fully Cooked Breakfast Sausage Links, found in the freezer section.
SOUR CREAM SUBSTITUTES
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup evaporated milk + 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice. Let stand 5 minutes to thicken.
Other Vegetable Options Include: Carrots, Corn, Baby Potatoes, and Broccoli.
👉You may also serve this with Gravy and Mashed Potatoes as well!
Crock Pot Method
See recipe card below this post for instructions on how to make it in the Instant Pot
Season the chicken. Place on the bottom of a lightly greased Crock Pot.
Combine the stuffing ingredients and place over or next to the chicken Add the vegetables.
Heat on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-7.
See below for tips on regulating the consistency of the stuffing according to your preference.
FOR FIRMER STUFFING
If you like your breadcrumbs still very much intact and firm, use more stuffing, up to 12 ounces.
If your stuffing is too moist:
- Leave the lid off for the last 30-40 minutes of cooking to let some of that moisture escape.
- You can also pop the stuffing in a 400º oven for 10-15 minutes to brown up the top.
Creamy Crockpot Chicken Stuffing and Green Beans
The one-pot meal at its best.
Friends, let us pause for a minute to consider the humble one-pot hotdish.
A hotdish, for anyone who doesn’t know, is sort of the essence of basic, hearty, Midwestern cooking. It can mean any sort of one-pot meal, but most often it’s a casserole with cream soup, some kind of protein, veggie and a starch. So it’s a whole meal in one dish.
This Creamy Crockpot Chicken Stuffing and Green Beans is the one-pot hotdish at its best. It has everything a good hotdish should have: meat, starch, and veggie all in one pot, with no fancy or complicated ingredients. Just good, plain, solid comfort food.
And because it’s made in the crockpot, it literally takes only a few minutes to put it together. Just toss everything in the crock in the afternoon, and your dish is piping hot by suppertime. It’s all ready to pop in the car and take to the potluck-or to serve up right at your own table. Because that’s the wonderful thing about hotdish: it brings the cozy with it, no matter where it goes.
CREAMY CROCKPOT CHICKEN STUFFING AND GREEN BEANS
- 2 lbs (about 4 chicken breast)
- 1 (6oz) box of stuffing mix
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken condensed soup
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup water
- 10 oz bag frozen green beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare crockpot with cooking spray. Season chicken with salt/pepper and place in the bottom of a crockpot.
- Next, top chicken with 1 box of stuffing mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix together condensed soup, sour cream and water. Spread mixture over stuffing.
- Place green bean on top. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours. If you need a longer cooking time, you can do LOW for 6 hours, but I recommend the high setting
CROCK POT CHICKEN AND STUFFING
This Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing Dinner is a whole meal in one. Chicken breasts, cream of chicken, sour cream, green beans and stuffing!
CROCK POT CHICKEN AND STUFFING DINNER
This Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing Dinner is a whole meal in one. Chicken breasts, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, green beans and stuffing – yum! The cream soups have really gotten so much better over the years too and they now offer so many different flavors. Cream of potato, cream of onion and even cream of bacon
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH CHICKEN AND STUFFING?
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
salt and pepper
Stove Top chicken stuffing
ream of chicken soup
frozen whole green beans
water (or milk)
Cook’s Notes: If you’re chicken breasts are on the smaller side, you can add in an extra one. Also, you can substitute the water in this for milk for a creamier filling.
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT CHICKEN AND STUFFING:
Place the chicken breasts in the crockpot. Season chicken breasts with one teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper.Sprinkle the dry Stove Top chicken stuffing mix over the chicken.In a medium bowl, mix together the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and water.Spread this mixture over the stuffing layer.Sprinkle the frozen green beans on top. Season again with one teaspoon garlic powder and a bit more salt and pepper.Cook on high for 4 ½ to 5 hours. Chicken temperature should be 165f degrees when fully cooked.Then dig in!A whole meal in one!
CROCK POT CHICKEN AND STUFFING DINNER
This Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing Dinner is a whole meal in one. Chicken breasts, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, green beans and stuffing – yum!
Course: Main Course
Keyword: Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours 5 minutes
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 2 tsp. garlic powder, divided use
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (6 oz) box Stove Top chicken stuffing
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
- 1 (10 oz) frozen whole green beans
- ⅓ cup water (or milk)
Prevent your screen from going dark
- Place the chicken breasts in the crockpot. Season chicken breasts with one teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the dry Stove Top chicken stuffing mix over the chicken.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and water.
- Spread this mixture over the stuffing layer.
- Sprinkle the frozen green beans on top. Season again with one teaspoon garlic powder and a bit more salt and pepper.
- Cook on high for 4 ½ to 5 hours. Chicken temperature should be 165f degrees when fully cooked.
- Then dig in!
If you’re chicken breasts are on the smaller side, you can add in an extra one. Also, you can substitute the water in this for milk for a creamier filling.
Calories: 468kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 1270mg | Potassium: 714mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1010IU | Vitamin C: 10.1mg | Calcium: 145mg | Iron: 3.7mg