Can you believe that this Chicken With Sundried Tomatoes And Pasta is going to take you less than 30 minutes to make? And it’s going to taste so gosh-darn amazing?! Everybody loves chicken with sundried tomatoes, don’t you think? This dish is so quick and easy to make, and when you’re in a hurry (like I always am), it’s a lifesaver!
Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta with Chicken and Mozzarella
Chicken Mozzarella Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes – Italian-inspired dinner with the best homemade creamy pasta sauce! The sun-dried tomato pasta sauce is made from scratch using basil, red pepper flakes, garlic, paprika, cream, and shredded Mozzarella cheese.
I am a huge fan of pasta, and some of the most popular pasta recipes on this site include this chicken mozzarella pasta that you are reading right now, creamy chicken pasta with bacon, and pesto chicken pasta. One thing all these pasta recipes have in common is that they use creamy, comforting sauces.
If you want to try chicken pasta that is more refreshing, without the creamy sauce, I whole-heartedly recommend family favorite chicken pasta with spinach and tomatoes or super flavorful Italian sausage pasta.
Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta with Chicken
- This recipe features sun-dried tomatoes and basil. Both ingredients are popular in Italy and in the Mediterranean region.
- The most prominent flavor in this recipe is the homemade sun-dried tomato sauce. The sauce is made from scratch by combining cream with shredded Mozzarella cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, basil, and red pepper flakes.
- Cooked chicken and penne pasta are then smothered in this delicious creamy Mozzarella pasta sauce. There is enough sauce to coat every single bite.
Ingredients for sun-dried tomato sauce
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 oz sun-dried tomatoes
- olive oil
- 1 cup half-and-half (or ½ cup heavy cream + ½ cup milk)
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
How to make sun-dried tomato sauce
- In a large skillet, cook 3 cloves of minced garlic and 4 oz of chopped sun-dried tomatoes in 1 tablespoon of olive oil on high-medium heat for about 1 minute.
- Add ½ cup of heavy cream + ½ cup of milk (or 1 cup of half-and-half) to the same skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer.
- Add 1 cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese.
- Simmer and stir until the cheese melts and forms a creamy pasta sauce.
- Add 1 tablespoon of dried basil, paprika, and at least ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Season with about ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Use either sun-dried tomatoes without oil or sun-dried tomatoes in oil (in a jar). Note: if using sun-dried tomatoes in oil (in a jar), make sure to drain sun-dried tomatoes from oil, before using them.
- Sprinkle a small amount of paprika over the chicken before cooking – it adds flavor as well as the color to the dish.
- Make sure to reserve some pasta water as you will DEFINITELY need it to thin out the cream sauce.
- Feel free to increase the amount of spices for this recipe: basil, red pepper flakes, paprika. This will make the sun-dried tomato sauce even more flavorful!
- Make sure to season the chicken mozzarella pasta with just the right amount of salt. That means you might have to add more salt. Salt will enhance the flavors of basil and sun-dried tomatoes.
How to Make Chicken Mozzarella Pasta
1) In a large skillet, on medium heat sauté garlic and sun-dried tomatoes in the olive oil. Remove the sun-dried tomatoes from the skillet.
2) Season sliced chicken with salt and paprika.
3) Add the chicken to the skillet and cook on high heat.
4) Add back the sun-dried tomatoes. Add half-and-half and shredded Mozzarella cheese.
5) Bring the mixture to boil, then reduce to simmer and stir the sun-dried tomato sauce until the cheese melts.
6) Add spices: basil, crushed red pepper flakes, salt.
7) Add cooked and drained penne pasta and stir to combine.
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
Ultra creamy with layers of bewitching flavor, this Sun Dried Tomato Pasta recipe is special enough for a romantic dinner but is so easy, anyone (even my husband) can make it with absolute success.
Whenever I’m tempted to take an ego trip, I need only remind myself that one of the all-time most popular recipes on my blog was written by… my husband.
Despite his lack of kitchen prowess (or perhaps because of it), the man has a way of making simple recipes (like this Chicken Pesto Pasta and Ricotta Pasta) taste stunning, like today’s sun dried tomato pasta with chicken.
The alternative title of this post was “Idiot Proof Date Night Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta,” a name Ben embraced with surprising gusto.
While he has many wonderful qualities, basic culinary skills don’t happen to be any of them. Fortunately for the two of us, today’s sun dried tomato pasta requires little beyond an ability to stir (this Garlic Pasta is another easy peasy recipe to try).
5 STAR REVIEW
“Absolutely delicious, my family said it was like restaurant food!”
Although Ben rarely cooks, Valentine’s Day is an exception. Every year, he makes the two of us a memorable meal. (Last Valentine’s, he made me this Balsamic Glazed Salmon.)
Today he’s back with another foolproof dish (and romance tips?) that’s sure to woo your sweetie.
How to Make Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
A Guest Post by Ben Clarke
Gentlemen, before we begin your quest for Mr. Right immortality via this sun dried tomato pasta, I have a confession: the first meal I ever made for Erin was a frozen Stouffer’s lasagna (that may or may have still been cold in the middle).
She was surprisingly gracious and later married me (and made me a proper Vegetable Lasagna), so I trust the damage wasn’t permanent.
Fortunately for myself and hapless cooks the world over, treating your special someone to a romantic dinner doesn’t have to require any actual culinary skill. This sun dried tomato pasta recipe—along with a few of my secret tips—will be your guide to success.
- Pasta: Go for bowties. They’re a gentleman’s pasta. (I’m told they’re also called “farfalle.” I’m skeptical.)
- Sun Dried Tomatoes: Do you see that little red jar? It’s your new best friend (it’s also used in this Italian Sausage Sun Dried Tomato Pasta). Open the jar, add it to the pan, and your chicken pasta will taste like you were just chillin’ with Giada. Don’t let your date think that.
- Wine: A few splashes for the pasta. Some for you and your date. More for you and your date. Still more.
- Spinach: Women like this. It’s trendy and (allegedly) packed with things like iron, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin, K, and folate. (If your date is into green stuff, consider this Tuscan Chicken Mac and Cheese for your next date.)
- Heavy Cream. Keep this ingredient to yourself. It will make the pasta taste like Tuscany, but your date will prefer not to know. Accept her praises. Maintain your air of culinary mystery. Women like mysterious.
WITHOUT HEAVY CREAM
If you want a cozy pasta dish without having to use heavy cream, try this Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta, which uses milk and flour instead for the same effect.
- Cook the pasta, drain, set aside.
- Melt some butter in a skillet and cook the chicken.
- Add those seductive sun dried tomatoes to the pan with the garlic, oregano, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper and, once fragrant, pour in the wine (but serve some to your date first).
- Once the wine has reduced, remove the pan from the heat and toss in the pasta along with the cream, spinach, and Parmesan.
- Stir everything together until that green stuff is wilted and you, my friend, have just aced this cooking date. ENJOY!
BEN’S TIPS FOR THE ULTIMATE DATE NIGHT EXPERIENCE
Okay, men. While this sun dried tomato pasta will bring you the ultimate date-night dinner win, with a few extras, you can take your date to a level of romance she has yet only envied.
- While the pasta cooks, throw around a few well-timed culinary terms. When the pasta is done, say “al dente.” When you add the wine, “deglaze.” When she kisses you in gratitude, “Boo-yah!” Though personal research has proven that may not be warmly received. Come back for next year’s guest post, and maybe I’ll have learned a few more.
- Grate fresh Parmesan cheese tableside. This date is all about service.
- Background music. “The Way You Look Tonight” = yes. “Get Low” = prepare to dine alone.
- Wear an apron. Women appreciate gender-role reversal and don’t appreciate a giant heavy cream splash on your shirt.
Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta
This Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta recipe is truly the BEST for an easy wholesome dinner! Made in 30 minutes or less with deliciously sweet sun-dried tomatoes, flavorful chicken, pasta of your choice, and a light, creamy sauce that really takes this recipe to another level, you’ll love the summery flavors of this pasta dish. Whether you’re making this recipe for an easy weeknight meal for the family or a weekend dinner with friends, this Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta is a simple, delicious favorite!
Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta – The BEST Easy Dinner Recipe!
One of my favorite things about this Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta recipe is that it can go from easy weeknight healthy dinner to next-level dinner party. It’s so versatile, delicious, and made with wholesome ingredients! It can also be meal prepped and refrigerated or frozen for later. It reheats wonderfully!
Aside from cooking the pasta on a separate burner, this recipe is also a one-pot dinner, making clean up super easy. I love how quick and simple it is, yet so full of delicious spring and summer flavors that impress!
There are 4 main components to this recipe: the pasta, the chicken, the creamy sun-dried tomato sauce, and the spinach and parmesan at the end. Here are a few notes about the ingredients you’ll need!
I love using whole wheat pasta or chickpea pasta for healthy pasta recipes like this one. In this case I used penne pasta, but any type should work great!
A little bit of olive oil, paprika, salt, and pepper make for deliciously flavorful chicken in this recipe. However, feel free to use any flavorful chicken seasoning that you like! You can also use leftover cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken.
Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce
The creamy sun-dried tomato sauce in this recipe is made with chopped or sliced shallot, minced garlic, flour (regular or almond flour), broth, milk (regular, unsweetened cashew milk, or unsweetened almond milk), a small amount of dijon mustard (trust me on this!), oregano, salt, pepper, and sun-dried tomatoes. You can also use onion powder or garlic powder instead of fresh!
Spinach & Parmesan
Once the sauce is made, I added in some fresh spinach and grated or shredded parmesan! Grated parmesan seems to work a little better than shredded, but both end in delicious results. You can also use kale or arugula instead of spinach!
How to Make Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta (VIDEO)
Here’s how to make Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta in 30-minutes or less:
- Cook the pasta according to directions.
- In a separate pan (preferably a large skillet, sauce pan or deep sauté pan), cook the chicken.
- Once fully cooked, set the chicken aside and whisk together the creamy sauce in the same pan.
- Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, and parmesan.
- Add the cooked chicken and pasta back in.
- Mix, serve, and enjoy!
Want to save even more time on this easy recipe? Here are a few ideas:
- Use leftover rotisserie chicken or batch cook the chicken at the beginning of the week.
- You can use onion powder instead of a fresh shallot to save time.
- Prep ingredients ahead of time.
Another one of my favorite things about this recipe is how well the leftovers reheat, even from frozen! Here’s how to store Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta:
Refrigerating – Place the Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta in an airtight container with a lid and let cool at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Move to the refrigerator and store for 3-4 days!
Freezing – To freeze, refrigerate serving sizes of the pasta in airtight containers for about an hour. Then simply move the containers to the freezer and store for up to 3 months!
Reheating – To reheat, simply microwave until evenly warm, stirring often. Top with more parmesan and crushed red pepper and enjoy!