Chicken with Tomato recipes is a great collection of chicken and tomato recipes including tasty simple ways to use chicken and tomatoes. Choose from healthy, appetizing chicken with tomato recipes, both hot and cold, plus a few chicken with vegetable recipes. Chicken With Tomato Recipes : Searching for Chicken With Tomato? Today I’m sharing with you my Chicken With Tomato recipe and other chicken recipes.
One-dish tomato chicken
- 10m prep
- 1h cook
- 4 servings
480 calories per serve
Allergens: Recipe may contain gluten and wheat.
More nutrition information >
- 11 Ingredients
- 3 Method Steps
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 (1kg) chicken thigh cutlets, trimmed
- 4 green onions, trimmed, cut into 5cm lengths
- 1 medium red capsicum, thickly sliced
- 1 medium green capsicum, thickly sliced
- 1 tbsp drained baby capers
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 400g can Val Verde peeled Italian tomatoes
- 690g jar Val Verde traditional pasta sauce
- cooked pasta, to serve
- Select all ingredients
ADD TO SHOPPING LIST
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Heat oil in a large, flameproof baking dish over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook, turning, for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat. Transfer chicken to a plate. Drain excess fat from dish. Return dish to heat.
- Step 2Add chicken, onion, capsicum, capers, olives, oregano and tomatoes to dish. Pour over pasta sauce. Season with pepper. Transfer dish to oven.
- Step 3Bake for 50 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, turning halfway during cooking. Serve chicken with pasta.
Chicken with Tomatoes and Feta
A quick tomato sauce makes a delectable base for baked chicken breasts in this weeknight skillet supper.
Read the full recipe after the video.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- Fresh dill, for serving
- Step 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large skillet heat oil over high. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes break down, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Step 2Season chicken with salt and add to skillet. Transfer to oven. Bake until chicken is cooked through, about 17 minutes. Heat broiler. Sprinkle feta over chicken and broil until feta is softened and browned in spots, 2 minutes. Sprinkle with dill for serving.
Chicken in Tomato Sauce (Chinese Cuisine)
This is my favourite tomato dish that I learned from my mum. It’s a Chinese popular dish in Hong Kong. My mum used to add an ingredient to make the tomatoes taste even better. It’s a kind of homey dish that many kids like to have with rice.
Tomato is a healthy food, not very expensive and can be easily found throughout the year. Long time ago, I read an article on The World’s Healthiest Foods talking about the antioxidant function of lycopene that tomatoes contain:
“This carotenoid found in tomatoes (and everything made from them) has been extensively studied for its antioxidant and cancer-preventing properties. The antioxidant function of lycopene-its ability to help protect cells and other structures in the body from oxygen damage-has been linked in human research to the protection of DNA (our genetic material) inside of white blood cells. Prevention of heart disease has been shown to be another antioxidant role played by lycopene.” – from “Tomatoes” by The World’s Healthiest Foods.
It’s really encouraging me to use tomatoes more regularly in my cooking. Sometimes I just eat them raw, mix them in salad or cook them in soup. Sometimes I cook tomatoes with egg, sometimes with meat. Here’s one of my family’s favourite dish of tomatoes, Chicken in Tomato Sauce.
When it comes to cooking tomatoes in Chinese way, I like to adapt my mother’s method, adding brown sugar slab (aka brown sugar in pieces 片糖) to make the sauce. The kind of brown sugar would balance the sour taste of tomatoes and produce fantastic results.
|Brown sugar slab (brown sugar in pieces 片糖)|
Chicken in Tomato Sauce Recipe
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Yield: 2 to 3 serves
- 240 gm chicken breast, julienned
- 3 to 4 tomatoes (about 300 gm), cut into chunks, deseeded
- 20 gm brown sugar slab (片糖), chopped into smaller pieces
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- a dash of salt
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon corn flour
- 1 Tbsp water
- Rinse chicken and drain well. Slice crossways into thin 4cm (1 1/2 inch) lengths. Mix with marinade for at least 10 minutes. Cut tomatoes into chunks and spoon out seeds inside. Rinse and drain well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a hot wok (or saucepan). Add chicken and cook until brown. Set aside.
- Add some oil in wok, sauté minced garlic until aromatic. Add tomatoes, sprinkle a dash of salt, and briefly stir fry. Pour in water, add sugar, ketchup and stir well. Cook until tomatoes softened, but don’t overcook them. Make sure the sugar completely dissolves well. Toss back chicken. Add thickening and cook to the consistency you preferred. Dish up and serve hot with rice.
- Brown sugar slab is available at Asian grocers.