Chicken with veggies and rice is one of my favorite dishes to make.
Rice is a type of grain with a starchy endosperm that becomes sticky when cooked. The edible part of rice is the seed of the grass species Oryza sativa. As a cereal grain, it is the most widely consumed staple food for a large part of the world’s human population, especially in Asia. It is the agricultural commodity with the third-highest worldwide production, after sugarcane and maize, according to data for 2010.
Chicken Fried Rice with Vegetables
Why call for take out from your favorite Chinese restaurant when you can make this quick and easy chicken fried rice recipe at home? Use leftover rice and frozen vegetables to make this rice dish even easier.
- ½ (12 oz.) chicken breast, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ½ (10 oz.) package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 3 eggs
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Step 1In a medium bowl, toss chicken with soy sauce and sesame oil. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Step 2Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and marinade and stir-fry until chicken is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; set aside. Add vegetable oil to skillet and heat over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in vegetables and cook for 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high, stir in rice until incorporated and cooked through, 3 minutes.
- Step 3Using a wooden spoon, form a well in mixture. Add eggs and scramble within well just until soft. Then break apart and mix into rice; season with salt and pepper. Let cook undisturbed until a golden crust forms, about 1 minute. Turn rice with a spatula and cook other side. Repeat 2 or 3 times until rice is uniformly golden. Add chicken and stir to combine. Serve warm.
Chicken, Rice, and Vegetable Skillet
Chicken and Rice Skillet with Veggies — EASY, ready in 20 minutes, made in ONE skillet with everyday ingredients you probably have on hand!! A HEALTHY weeknight dinner the whole family will LOVE!!
The Best Chicken and Rice Recipe
Sometimes you just have to get dinner on the table in a hurry, and this chicken and rice dish is a recipe that will help you do just that. It’s easy, ready in 20 minutes in one skillet, and is both hearty yet healthy.
Sometimes simple recipes with everyday ingredients taste great, and this is one of those recipes. The sautéed onions, garlic, fresh green onions provide plenty of flavor, and I always appreciate the crunch of veggies like bell peppers and broccoli to contrast the tender rice and juicy chicken.
MY OTHER RECIPES
It’s such an easy, family-friendly recipe that’s naturally gluten-free, ready in 20 minutes, and everyone will enjoy it. What you don’t eat that night for dinner makes for great work or school lunches the next day.
What’s in This Chicken and Rice Skillet?
To make this easy chicken and rice recipe, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Vidalia onion
- Red bell pepper
- Chicken breasts
- Cooked rice
- Broccoli florets
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Shredded cheese
- Green onions
How to Make Chicken and Rice with Veggies
Start by sautéing an onion and add red bell peppers, chicken, and garlic. Then add the cooked rice and broccoli, season with paprika and cardamom, and cover the skillet until the broccoli is as crisp-tender as desired, which is about five minutes for me.
I used paprika and cardamom, but you can get creative and take it in another flavor direction. Try curry powder, turmeric, and ginger. Or go with lemon pepper and other fresh herbs like parsley or mint. There are lots of ways to mix it up.
You can finish the recipe with some shredded cheese. You can’t go wrong with cheesy rice for the comfort food win.
What Type of Rice Should I Use?
To save time, I suggest using precooked rice. I used two packets of Jasmine Ready Rice but almost any flavor or variety of rice is fine, including leftover rice.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
Of course! I recommend using boneless, skinless chicken thighs so it’s easy to cut them into bite-sized pieces.
Tips for Making This Chicken and Rice Skillet
You’re welcome to use other veggies in this chicken and rice skillet than what the recipe calls for. Just keep in mind that different veggies may have different cook times.
Be sure to add the rice to the skillet at the very end just so it gets warmed through. If you add the rice too early, it’ll become over cooked (remember: you’re adding pre-cooked rice to the skillet!).
If you’re trying to keep the dish on the healthier side and cut out some unnecessary fat and calories, feel free to skip the cheese. The dish tastes plenty good without it. The photos shown do not include cheese.
Chicken, Rice, and Vegetable Skillet
prep time 5 MINUTES
cook time 15 MINUTES
total time 20 MINUTES
EASY, ready in 20 minutes, made in ONE skillet with everyday ingredients you probably have on hand!! A HEALTHY weeknight dinner the whole family will LOVE!!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet Vidalia onion, diced small
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 4 cups cooked rice (to save time use two 8.5-ounce packets precooked rice; I used Jasmine Ready Rice)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese, optional
- 3 green onions, sliced into thin rounds
- To a large skillet, add the oil, sweet Vidalia onions, and cook over medium-high heat until onions are becoming soft and translucent, about 5 minutes; stir frequently.
- Add the red peppers, chicken, and and cook for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is nearly cooked through; stir and flip frequently to ensure even cooking.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir nearly constantly.
- Add the rice, broccoli, water, evenly sprinkle with paprika, cardamom, salt, pepper, stir to combine, cover skillet, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until broccoli is as crisp-tender as desired.
- Optionally add the cheese and stir to combine until melted.
- Evenly sprinkle with green onions and serve immediately.
- Recipe will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
One Pot Chicken and Rice
This One Pot Chicken and Rice recipe is an easy-to-make, delicious and family-friendly meal. I make it with simple pantry items and any available vegetables
This One Pot Chicken and Rice recipe is THAT dish for my kids – that healthy dish I make for your kids that I know they’ll eat up quickly without complaining. I switch up the vegetables depending on what I have on hand, but it’s always a cozy, complete meal that I know will leave my whole family content! It comes together quickly and easily, and is the perfect family weeknight meal.
This dish has always been one of my go to family meals! It’s so quick and easy to make, and I usually make a double batch because the leftovers taste so good! If you are looking for simple, kid friendly and tasty, this one pot chicken and rice recipe is for you!
INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Onion and garlic: Cook until they are browned for a nice base layer of flavor.
- Chicken: Use chicken breast that is cut into cubes. You can also make this recipe with thighs if you prefer.
- Seasonings: Oregano, salt and pepper.
- Rice: We find that long grain white rice for this recipe. You can use brown or wild rice but the cooking times will vary.
- Vegetables: Carrots, frozen corn and frozen peas.
- Broth: You can use chicken or vegetable stock.
- Parmesan cheese: This is optional, but it’s a great add in! Use freshly grated rather than pre grated for the best flavor.
RECIPE VIDEO TUTORIAL
HOW TO MAKE ONE POT CHICKEN AND RICE
- Cook the onions with olive oil until they’re soft and lightly browned.
- Add the cubed chicken, salt, pepper and oregano. You can add in other seasoning you’d like here.
- Fully cook the chicken until the juices run dry.
- Add any vegetables you’re using and rice. I love using colorful vegetables like carrots, peas and corn.
- Add chicken broth or water and bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Allow the one pot chicken and rice to rest for 5-10 minutes before opening it so the steam continues to cook the rice. Then fluff it with a fork and serve to your hungry family!
Then you can serve the dish as is, or with a side salad. It has a pretty simple versatile flavor so it goes well with many salads. We love pairing it with my fattoush recipe or my chopped salad recipe.
TIPS TO MAKE ONE POT CHICKEN AND RICE
- Swap out the veggies as you like . You can use frozen, fresh or canned vegetables in this dish based on your preference and what’s available in your fridge. Keep it fuss-free!
- Use good quality rice. I prefer to use long grain white rice or white basmati rice so so that it doesn’t clump up. Avoid using minute or instant rice because it will likely yield a mushy consistency.
- Use onion powder instead of onions if you have picky eaters. I know some kids hate seeing onions in their food, so you can definitely swap it for the powder if that’s the case. But try first chopping them finely to see if they’ll even notice them in the pot among the chicken and rice.
- Cut the vegetables and chicken into bite sized pieces. Not only is that better for kids, but it’s great to get a bite that has a little bit of veggies, rice and chicken all at together!
- Use water instead of chicken broth if necessary. In that case, make sure you season the water heavily. And you can also consider increasing the quantity of the aromatics like garlic, celery and the herbs. They will really help build up the flavor lost by not using chicken broth.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is a one pot meal?
A one pot meal is a complete meal made in one pan. They require little prep and very little clean up, so they are a great option when you are on short on time and hate washing up! Be sure to check out my One-Pot Ravioli Soup for another easy family meal!
How do I cook this with brown rice?
If you want to make it with brown rice, be sure to add ½ a cup of liquid and cook it for an additional 20-25 minutes, according to package instructions.
Is chicken and rice a balanced meal?
This one pot meal is a great healthy meal for the whole family. It contains protein, carbs and a good helping of vegetables and it is low in fat and sugar. It’s an easy way to serve a healthy meal to your family with very little effort.
How do you make the rice taste good?
This one pot chicken and rice is really full of flavor, and that is partially down to the fact that the rice is cooked in chicken stock, you can also use vegetable stock if that is what you have. I also use dried oregano which helps to boost the flavor. Feel free to stir some grated parmesan into the finished dish!