Chicken With White Cream Sauce is kind of like a potato, in the sense that it’s a cozy, comforting addition to any meal. Plus, who doesn’t love thick white sauce with their chicken? Ok, maybe some people out there can be a little bit more particular with their foodstuffs. But if you’re one of those people that likes to enjoy a nice plate of comfort food every now and then (like me), then prepare your tastebuds for an explosion of memories!
CREAMY CHICKEN IN WHITE SAUCE
This chicken in white sauce is rich, creamy, and delicious. Absolute comfort food served over your favorite pasta or mashed potatoes. Most of the ingredients are pantry staples and the process takes less than 20 minutes.
If you like white sauce, you are going to feast on this recipe. Made with milk, cream, butter, and cheese this is absolutely comforting food. The chicken is coated in flour and parmesan, then, seared before adding to the sauce.
Chicken in white sauce
WHY MAKE THIS CHICKEN RECIPE?
- This is comfort food when you are looking for something creamy, rich, and delicious but don’t want to go out or spend a whole lot of time or energy.
- The process could not be any easier and the whole dish, including boiling your pasta, gets done in less than 20 minutes.
- Most of the ingredients are easy to find or pantry staples which means you can make this any time of the week.
- It can be a whole meal because its got it protein in the sauce. All you need is a good bowl of pasta to soak up all that creaminess.
- I’m cut the chicken in fillet but you can also use small diced them into chicken pieces and swirl the cooked pasta right into the sauce for a one-pan dish.
- I’m using chicken broth for the sauce, but you can certainly use white wine, such as a pinot blanc or sauvignon blanc. The Spanish onions also add a nice sweetness to the dish.
INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTES
- Chicken – The chicken breast works perfectly for this recipe because we soak it in the white sauce, which helps keep it moist and juicy. You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs but you will need to cook it for longer in the pan before adding it to the sauce.
- Parmesan – Adds a nice nutty flavor to the sauce.
- Garlic – A little goes a long way. I have used two small minced garlic, which is about a teaspoon. If you like garlic, use 1 tablespoon of roasted garlic when possible. Also, you can add ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder to the coating mixture.
- Cream – You can use heavy cream between 28 to 38% fat. Any less than will result in the cream curding.
- Flour – Since we are using milk instead of all cream, we just need a little flour to help thicken the sauce.
- Lemon juice – lemon or lime juice helps cut in the richness of the sauce. I have used minimum to keep it fresh, but you can certainly use more if you want to make lemon flavor.
- Herbs – today, I am using fresh parsley but you can also use some fresh rosemary sprigs along with fresh thyme leaves.
CHICKEN WITH WHITE SAUCE (OVER PASTA)
- Coat chicken – In a shallow bowl, add flour, parmesan, salt, and white pepper. Stir to combine. Coat the chicken evenly on both sides.
Pro tip – you can coat the chicken in oil if you want a thicker coating of the flour mixture.
- Sear chicken – In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add one tablespoon olive oil. Add the chicken and cook on each side for 2 minutes until lightly golden. Remove and set aside.
Pro tip – the high heat will ensure you a nice color to the chicken. Also, the chicken will cook later in the sauce so do not overcook now.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, add the oil and butter. Melts then butter, then add the onions and saute until translucent. Scrape any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan when searing the chicken.
- Next, add the flour and saute for 30 seconds to a minute on medium heat. Stir to prevent it from burning or becoming too dark.
Pro tip – we want to cook the flour but also not make the sauce too dark so keep the heat to medium and stir often.
- Add the chicken broth, followed by the milk, and grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper Use a whisk to ensure there are no lumps.
Pro tip – the broth and cheese also have salt so add less now and adjust later as needed.
- Return the chicken back to the pan. Simmer chicken on one side for 2 minutes on low heat. Turn over and cook the other side for another 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium-low, add the cream and parsley. Followed by the lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Pro tip – you don’t want to boil the cream as it can cause the fat to separate making a curdle sauce.
- Garnish with more fresh herbs. Serve over your favorite pasta, noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
- White wine sauce – replace the broth with white wine to make a delicious white wine sauce
- Garlic – if you like the flavor of garlic, add ¼ teaspoon garlic powder to the flour and parmesan mixture.
- Gluten-free – to make this gluten-free recipe coat the chicken with cornstarch and use gluten-free flour for the sauce.
- Bacon – add 2 slices of bacon chopped finely and saute with the onions to add a little bacon or pork flavor. Absolutely delicious.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long will this chicken with white sauce dish keep?
This chicken will keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. The sauce will get thicker as it cools which can be thinned with a little more milk.
Can I make this chicken dish ahead of time?
Absolutely, you can make it ahead of time. When you reheat it, add a little milk or water to help the sauce loosen up again.
Can I make this a non-alcoholic chicken with white sauce?
Absolutely, you can use chicken stock instead of wine as I have done in the video.
What side dish works best with the chicken dish?
This is a very versatile dish and can pair with almost any veggies. Try sauteed green beans or asparagus, baked butternut squash, or carrots. You can even try a side of simple salad like celery, carrots, cabbage, etc.
CHICKEN IN WHITE SAUCE
Sharing is caring!
Chicken in White Sauce is lip-smacking good! Serve this over rice or pasta and you have an incredible dinner. This chicken dinner is ready in 30 minutes!
You’ll love this Chicken in White Sauce! The sauce is creamy, garlicky and to die for! And the chicken is so tender and juicy!
My goal was to make a meal you will expect to get at a 5-star restaurant at home and I did just that with this Chicken in White Sauce recipe. It is so good!
Here we are with another easy chicken dinner recipe: Chicken in White Sauce! My whole family goes crazy for this meal! When I serve it, in no time, plates are cleared!
The sauce is rich, buttery, milky and complements the chicken so well! The flavor profile is not complicated at all. No long list of spices and herbs. I use just onion, garlic, and some parsley.
This simple combination brings awesome flavor to this dish. It is quite similar to Chicken Fricassee but it is so much easier, requiring fewer ingredients.
You will be going for seconds when you try this! The sauce is so rich so it is definitely not an everyday meal for me but it is a great meal fit only for kings and queens.
With a baby on the way, I am leaning more towards making dinner recipes that don’t take a ton of time. This Chicken in White Sauce fits right in. It is ready in no time and super tasty! Another winner winner chicken dinner just like this Chicken Yassa!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN IN WHITE SAUCE
1. Place some chicken in a pot and let it cook in its own fat on one side then flip to the other side and let it cook until done.
2. Add butter to the pot then saute some onion and garlic.
3. Add flour to pot and stir then add water and seasoning. Add chicken back to the pot and let it simmer.
4. Add heavy cream to pot. Adjust seasoning and let everything simmer.
WHAT TO EAT WITH CHICKEN IN WHITE SAUCE
You can enjoy this Chicken in White Sauce with the following:
- boiled rice
- boiled pasta
- potatoes – whether boiled or mashed
- any side you enjoy!
Creamy chicken in white sauce
Test kitchen approved
- SERVES 4
- TAKES 1 HOUR TO MAKE, PLUS COOLING
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Knob of butter, plus extra 3 tbsp, softened
- 16 boneless chicken thighs or 8 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150ml dry white wine
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- Leaves from 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 700ml chicken stock, hot
- 75ml double cream
- Heat the vegetable oil and knob of butter in a large, deep frying pan or flameproof casserole. Season the chicken pieces and fry, in batches, over a medium-high heat, until lightly browned. Remove the chicken to a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion to the pan and fry gently, without colouring, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds. Add the wine and herbs, then cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bubble over a high heat until the liquid is reduced to about 1 tablespoon. Add to the bowl with the cooked chicken.
- Add the extra 3 tablespoons of butter to the pan and melt. Add the flour and stir well to make a paste. Cook for 5 minutes, until a pale golden colour. Gradually add the hot stock, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- Return the chicken and onions to the pan. Cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes, then add the double cream. Check the seasoning. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, divide the creamy chicken between 3 freezer bags or freezerproof containers, label and freeze. Now you have your base for one of the following recipes: chicken a la king; chicken, mushroom and spinach pasta bake; or chicken, pea and bacon pies.