Making a Chicken With Wild Rice Recipe is a great way to put dinner on the table. This is extremely easy, I know because I have made this several times for my family. They love it. It is also an amazing dish to have at a dinner party or to make for someone special.
Are you looking for an amazing chicken recipe? Well, if you like chicken and wild rice then this is the recipe for you. Read on to discover how easy it is to make this great dish.
Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
Getting reviews…Save Recipe
- Level: Easy
- Total: 1 hr 20 min
- Active: 30 min
- Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Two 6-ounce boxes long-grain and wild rice mix, such as Uncle Ben’s
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for greasing dish
16 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced, or two 4 1/2-ounce cans sliced mushrooms, drained (reserve the liquid)
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
3 cups half-and-half
4 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, diced
1 cup toasted slivered almonds, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup sliced pimientos
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the long-grain and wild rice mixes according to the package directions. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms and onions and saute until the onions are translucent. Stir in the flour, cooking for 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly stir the broth (and reserved canned mushroom liquid if using) into the onion mixture, then stir in the half-and-half. Cook until the mixture has thickened, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, rice, toasted almonds, pimientos, parsley, salt and pepper into the wet mixture. Pour everything into the prepared casserole dish and bake, uncovered, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, 30 to 45 minutes.
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Recipe
Chicken and Wild Rice in a creamy Parmesan sauce – easy and delicious comfort food! It’s just like a casserole, except everything is cooked in the skillet on a stovetop!
The best thing about this Chicken and Wild Rice skillet is that it’s so easy to make. The only time-consuming portion of the recipe is cooking the wild rice. As you know, wild rice cooks a long time, about 45 minutes, so plan accordingly. After the wild rice is cooked, the recipe is done very quickly.
A great variation of this recipe is a Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Wild Rice with carrots and peas.
Gluten Free Recipe
The creaminess here comes from adding half-and-half and shredded Parmesan cheese, which makes this recipe gluten-free. There is no flour added to thicken the sauce!
How to Cook Wild Rice on Stovetop
- Combine 1 cup of wild rice, 4 cups of water (1 to 4 proportion), and salt in a saucepan. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat low and simmer (cook) the rice for about 45 minutes, covered.
- After 45 minutes of cooking, stir the rice. If there is still water in the pan, cover, and let the rice sit, covered, for 10 more minutes to absorb the remaining water.
- Season the rice with extra salt, if desired.
How do you know when wild rice is cooked
- Cook until the rice is soft but not mushy and until most of the grains are popped. You don’t want the rice to be tough and chewy, so be patient and cook just until it’s of the right softness.
- Once the rice is cooked to the desired softness, drain extra water from the pan.
- Don’t have half-and-half? To make 1 cup of half-and-half, combine ½ cup of milk + ½ cup of heavy cream.
- What other cheese can you use besides Parmesan? Use Romano cheese, Asiago cheese, or Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese.
- Instead of skinless boneless chicken thighs, you can use skinless boneless chicken breasts.
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Recipe
Chicken and Wild Rice in a creamy Parmesan sauce – easy and delicious comfort food! This recipe is just like a chicken and wild rice casserole except everything is cooked in a skillet on the stovetop!
PREP TIME10 mins
COOK TIME1 hr
TOTAL TIME1 hr 10 mins
CALORIES PER SERVING429 kcal
- 1 ½ cups wild rice , uncooked
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion , small, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 pound chicken thighs , skinless and boneless, chopped into smaller slices
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- ⅔ cup half and half
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley , chopped
- Rinse the wild rice until the water is clear. Cook wild rice + ¼ teaspoon and ⅛ teaspoon salt in a large pot of boiling water according to the cooking instructions on the package (usually, wild rice cooks about 45 minutes, so plan accordingly).
- When wild rice is almost cooked, heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add chopped onion and minced garlic, and cook on medium heat, stirring, until onion is translucent, about 1 minute.
- Add chopped chicken, sprinkle generously with salt, oregano, thyme, parsley, and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
- When the wild rice is done, add cooked wild rice to the skillet with chicken and mix everything.
- Add ⅔ cup half and half, ⅓ cup chicken broth to the skillet with chicken and rice and bring to boil. Add shredded ½ cup Parmesan cheese. Stir, until the cheese has melted, on medium-low heat. Taste and add more salt if needed, about ⅛ teaspoon or ¼ teaspoon more.
- Remove from heat, stir in ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley.
What is HALF & HALF? To make 1 cup of half and half, combine ½ cup milk and ½ cup regular cream (heavy, or whipping cream).
Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
- Prep20 Min
- Total1 Hr 50 Min
Looking for a delicious dinner recipe that’s both comforting and easy to make? This baked chicken and wild rice casserole with mushrooms has you covered. Prepped in just 20 minutes with pantry ingredients and fresh chicken, this is one hearty meal that will have everyon… More +
- 1(6-oz.) pkg. long-grain and wild rice
- 3to 3 1/2-lb. cut-up frying chicken, skinned if desired
- 1cup sliced celery
- 1(4 1/2-oz.) jar whole mushrooms, drained
- 2cups water
- 1(10 3/4-oz.) can condensed cream of chicken or cream of celery soup
- 1Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13×9-inch (3-quart) baking dish. Pour uncooked rice over bottom of greased dish. Sprinkle evenly with seasoning mix packet. Arrange chicken pieces over rice. Spoon celery and mushrooms around chicken.
- 2In medium saucepan, combine water and soup; mix well. Bring to a boil. Pour evenly over chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle chicken with paprika. Cover with foil.
- 3Bake at 350°F. for 1 hour. Uncover; bake an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender and juices run clear. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Tips from the Pillsbury Kitchens
- Tip 1Swap the condensed cream of chicken or cream of celery soup for condensed cream of mushroom soup, if desired.
- Tip 2This meal would taste great with a green salad and a loaf of Pillsbury™ French bread on the side.
- Tip 3This recipe is a great choice for entertaining because, once prepped and in the oven, the rest takes care of itself—leaving you with less time spent in the kitchen and more time with your guests.