Chicken with Yogurt recipes is a very delicious and tasty recipe. This is actually my favorite dish in the world. I love it with my family and friends also they all are crazy to have this dish whenever they visit my home. Cause we are 9 members in our family, so we make it once a week. And 4 times a month when my friends & relatives come to our home; all of them request for the same dish.
YOGURT MARINATED CHICKEN
Yogurt has become one of the most versatile ingredients in my kitchen. While it’s more common in the U.S. for yogurt to be served sweet, yogurt is just as useful and delicious in savory dishes, like this Yogurt Marinated Chicken. This delicious chicken is tangy, garlicky, full of warm spices, and can be served several different ways. It’s definitely one of my favorite go-to chicken marinades!
WHY YOGURT MAKES A GREAT MARINADE
Aside from giving the chicken a deliciously tangy flavor, yogurt contains a lot of lactic acid, which works to tenderize the chicken and help keep it moist while it cooks. You’ll find yogurt marinades used a lot in Middle Eastern recipes, like this recipe for Shish-Tawook from my friend, Yumna, at Feelgoodfoodie.net.
WHAT KIND OF YOGURT SHOULD I USE?
Make sure you buy plain flavored yogurt, nothing sweetened or with flavors added. I suggest buying regular yogurt, not Greek-style, because Greek is very thick and dry and will not coat the chicken the same way. You can get around this by thinning out the yogurt with a little water, broth, or milk, but plain, regular yogurt works best. You’ll also want to make sure your yogurt has at least some fat, which is important for carrying the fat-soluble flavors in the marinade. Full-fat is best, but you can go down to 2% fat if needed.
CAN I USE CHICKEN THIGHS?
Yes, this recipe is also awesome with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Because chicken thighs are already fairly thin and cook quickly, you will not need to slice the thighs into thinner pieces, as I do with the chicken breasts in the recipe below.
CAN YOGURT MARINATED CHICKEN BE GRILLED?
Yes! Yogurt marinated chicken is perfect for grilling! Just cook in the same manner as you would with chicken marinated in any other mixture. You’ll get wonderful browning on the meat when using a grill. You can also use an indoor, countertop style grill, like a George Foreman grill.
HOW TO SERVE YOGURT MARINATED CHICKEN
I love, love, LOVE this chicken in so many different dishes. It’s great for adding to bowl meals (pictured above with Spinach Rice with Feta and tomatoes), you can stuff it into a pita, like a chicken schawarma sandwich, use it to top a fresh green salad, or Summer Vegetable Pasta Salad. Or, just serve it up with a couple of sides and make it your main dish! It would go great alongside a marinated white bean salad, Simple Sautéed Vegetables, or a super fresh cucumber salad and maybe some hummus.
YOGURT MARINATED CHICKEN
This tangy and garlicky Yogurt Marinated Chicken is full of warm spices and can be served several different ways!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Marinate Time: 30 mins
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt ($0.34)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced ($0.16)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice ($0.05)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon ($0.05)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano ($0.05)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves ($0.02)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1.3 lbs.)* ($6.54)
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil ($0.04)
- Combine the yogurt, minced garlic, lemon juice, cinnamon, oregano, salt, nutmeg, and cloves in a bowl.
- Slice the chicken breasts into two thinner pieces so they cook quickly and evenly in the skillet. If slicing is too difficult, you can cover the chicken breasts with plastic and use a rolling pin or mallet to pound the chicken into an even thickness (1/2-3/4 inch thick), then slice the breast across into two smaller portions.
- Place the chicken in a shallow dish or zip-top bag and pour the yogurt marinade over top. Make sure all sides of the chicken are coated in yogurt, then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- When you’re ready to cook, heat ½ Tbsp cooking oil in a large skillet (preferably some sort of non-stick surface) over medium heat. Once hot, add two pieces of chicken and cook on each side until deeply browned. Transfer the cooked chicken to a clean cutting board and repeat with the rest of the cooking oil and second two pieces of chicken.
- Let the chicken rest for five minutes, then slice and serve!
*You can purchase thin-cut chicken breasts, chicken tender, or chicken thighs to avoid needing to slice or pound the breasts into thinner pieces (step 2).
CHICKEN WITH YOGURT
This chicken recipe with yogurt is very tasty, light and easy to prepare! Serve with fries and salad and it will be an excellent lunch for the whole family. Bon appetit!!!
Category: Chicken, Meat, Recipes
Prep Time: 5 m
Cook Time: 55 m
Total Time: 1:30 h
Ingredients: bay leaf, chicken, garlic, lemon, mayonnaise, nutmeg, olive oil, onion, parsley, pepper, yogurt
- 1.5 kg (3 1/3 pounds) chicken cut into pieces
- Juice of one lemon
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium onion
- Pepper (to taste)
- Nutmeg (to taste)
- Bay leaf (to taste)
- 350 grams (12 1/3 ounces) natural yogurt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- Coriander (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper, nutmeg, chopped garlic and lemon juice. Let marinate about 30 minutes.
- Put the olive oil, the onion cut into round slices and the bay leaf in a saucepan and saute over low heat until the onion start to turn slightly golden. Add the chicken pieces together with the marinade, stir and cook over low heat about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, combine the yogurt, the mayonnaise and the chopped coriander. Add to the saucepan, stir and turn off the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Put the chicken and the sauce on a baking dish and bake until the chicken start to turn golden, about 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and serve the chicken with fries.
Yogurt-Paprika Chicken With Lemon
1 hr 50 mins
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 2 lemons, halved
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Step 1In a large mixing bowl, combine yogurt, ginger, paprika, cumin, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Toss chicken in marinade, generously coating all sides of meat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Step 2Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove chicken from refrigerator and arrange in a single layer in a roasting pan. Nestle lemon halves among chicken pieces. Roast until chicken registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, about 30 minutes.
- Step 3Finish cooking chicken 6 inches under broiler until just beginning to blacken in places, 3 to 5 minutes. Garnish with a generous sprinkle of chopped cilantro. Serve with roasted lemons on the side to squeeze over chicken.