You can serve Cream of Chicken with rice to your family and guests, as a part of lunch or dinner. The white sauce you prepare in this recipe is mild, yet breaks the monotony and does away with the need for any dipping sauce. You can also have it as a side accompanying other stuff.
Creamy Chicken and Rice
Creamy chicken and rice made in just one skillet with minimal prep! This is the best way to get my kiddos to eat their spinach – it blends right in with the rice and they devour it all! This is a comfort food classic made extra easy.
I’m going to let you in on a dark and dirty secret from my past. Do you think you can handle this?
Watch the recipe video!
Creamy Chicken and Rice
When I was a child, I used to put ketchup on white rice. And then I would eat it.
Whew. Glad I got that off my chest. That little secret has been eating away at me.
It was actually delicious and, while I haven’t done it in years, I still think it would probably taste good. In fact, I might try it with dinner tonight. 😉
These days I’m more like to serve up rice in casseroles or skillet meals, rather than as a side dish. I’m not sure why – I just don’t often think about rice as a side.
This easy chicken and rice is beyond simple to make and it’s the perfect one dish dinner. I veg it up with some carrots and spinach, toss in chunks of chicken, and add a bit of cream to make it extra decadent, flavorful, and rich. This meal is delicious comfort food and it’s so easy to make!
How to make one pot chicken and rice:
Add in a bit of olive oil to the pan until it starts to shimmer and then toss in some chunks of seasoned chicken breasts.
Once the chicken is browned, you’ll add in your carrots, rice, and garlic along with some chicken broth.
You’re going to let this cook for about 20 minutes. The liquid will have been absorbed into the rice so the rice is soft, fluffy, and just about ready to eat.
Stir in some spinach and then cover the dish to let the spinach wilt a bit.
Remove the lid, stir in the cream, and that’s it, friends! Dinner is served!
This easy chicken and rice recipe is beyond simple, so filling, and always a hit.
CREAMY AND CHEESY CHICKEN AND RICE
This Creamy Cheesy Chicken and Rice casserole is the ULTIMATE comfort food recipe. A from-scratch, rich, cheesy sauce coats rice and tender chicken to create one irresistible, creamy chicken and rice casserole.
OUR FAVORITE CHICKEN CASSEROLE
The very first recipe I shared on my blog WAY back in 2014 was this Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole.
It is by far my family’s all-time favorite comforting casserole dish, and through the years, it has proven to be one of your favorites as well.
This simple chicken and rice casserole is easy to make, tastes extremely indulgent, and appeals to just about every palate–even picky kids!
Made with leftover chicken, cooked rice, a simple from-scratch creamy sauce, and cheddar cheese, this chicken and rice casserole is a simple dish, yet still delivers incredible flavors.
Truly, what is not to love? Tender chicken and rice are swimming in a rich, cheesy sauce. It is absolute comfort food!
This is one of those casseroles you make when you are craving comfort, need to bring a meal to a friend, or just want to make your family smile.
NOTES ON INGREDIENTS
- Chicken: This recipe calls for pre-cooked chicken, making it a great time to use any leftover cooked you have like store-bought or homemade Rotisserie Chicken, Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken, Roasted Chicken Breasts, or Instant Pot Shredded Chicken.
- Chicken Stock/Broth: Use either low-sodium store-bought or homemade chicken stock to control the level of sodium.
- White Wine: I love adding white wine to elevate the sauce, but it is completely optional. Feel free to use additional chicken stock in its place. If using wine, use a dry white wine such as chardonnay or pinot grigio.
- Herbs: To add depth of flavor and elevate this chicken and rice casserole into something memorable, I love to add in fresh thyme and garlic. Both are optional and can be omitted for a more basic chicken and rice casserole.
- Cheese: Use a sharp or mild cheddar or Colby cheese for this casserole. For best results, grate the cheese yourself, as pre-grated cheese is coated in anti-caking agents which can prevent a smooth, creamy sauce.
- Rice: Use cooked white or brown rice. You will need 4 cups of cooked rice, which is equivalent to about 1 cup of uncooked rice.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE
When using leftover chicken and precooked rice, this casserole comes together with minimal hands-on prep, but delivers incredible flavor!
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in an equal amount of flour, to form a thick paste, known as a roux.
- Cook the roux, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, which will cook off the raw flour taste and make for a really delicious sauce.
- Slowly whisk in the wine and minced garlic and simmer until thickened.
- Add the chicken broth, ¼ cup at a time, whisking to incorporate. By adding the broth slowly, you will avoid a lumpy sauce.
- Season the sauce with fresh thyme, salt, and pepper, and bring to a simmer. Simmer, whisking often, until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and stir in half of the cheese.
- Cook until the cheese is melted into the sauce and then turn off the heat.
- Add the diced or shredded chicken and cooked rice directly to the sauce and toss to evenly coat.
- Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish and then top with additional shredded cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted, golden, and the casserole is warmed through.
This Chicken and Rice Casserole is hearty meal that stands alone. However, I love pairing this casserole with a side salad or steamed or roasted vegetables, like Instant Pot Green Beans or Roasted Broccoli.
Leftover Creamy, Cheesy Chicken and Rice can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen after baked for up to 1 month in an airtight freezer-safe container.
To reheat, allow to defrost in the refrigerator overnight if needed, and then place the casserole in a shallow heat-safe dish. Cover with a moistened paper towel and microwave for 1-2 minutes, until warmed through. The paper towel will keep the casserole moist and the microwave clean.
HOW TO PREPARE IN ADVANCE
Creamy, Cheesy Chicken and Rice is a great casserole to prepare in advance, and refrigerate or freeze to bake at a later time. This casserole bakes up perfectly from frozen, making it perfect to pop on a busy night or to take to a friend in need of a meal.
To prepare this casserole a advance, prepare up to baking. If freezing, be sure to use a disposable or freezer-safe baking dish. Cover the baking dish tightly with 2 layers of foil. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
- To bake from the fridge, remove the casserole from the fridge and remove 1 layer of foil. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, letting the casserole sit on the counter while the oven preheats. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until warmed through.
- To bake from the freezer, remove the casserole from freezer and remove 1 layer of foil. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, letting the casserole sit on the counter while the oven preheats. Bake for 60 minutes covered, remove the foil, and bake, uncovered, for an additional 15 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Gluten-Free Chicken and Rice Casserole: If you need this casserole to be gluten-free, use an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend in place of the all-purpose flour.
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice with Broccoli: Add 2 cups of chopped steamed broccoli to the casserole before baking.
- Buffalo Chicken and Rice Casserole: Omit the thyme, white wine, and minced garlic from the recipe. Stir in ½ cup bleu cheese or ranch dressing, ⅓ cup hot sauce, 1 teaspoon paprika, and ½ teaspoon garlic powder into the cheese sauce along with the rice and chicken. Bake as directed.
- Lower Fat: To keep this recipe a bit on the lighter side, reduce the amount of cheese in half.
15-Minute Chicken & Rice Dinner
- prep time:5min
- total time:15min
- calories:4541 serving
Here it is, your perfect busy day dinner recipe! 15-Minute Chicken & Rice Dinner gives you chicken, rice and veggies, all in one skillet, all in 15 minutes, start to finish. It also uses ingredients you usually have on hand, so there’s no need to make a late grocery run! Start by browning some chicken breasts, then add condensed cream of chicken soup, water, instant rice and broccoli to the skillet. Just make sure you’re using instant rice so it cooks quickly! You can even use instant brown rice- see the tip below for how. This 15-Minute Chicken & Rice Dinner recipe is so quick and easy, no one will even have time to ask, What’s for dinner?
cost per recipe: $7.46
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (4 small or 2 large cut in half lengthwise for thinner pieces)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup or 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup or Condensed Unsalted Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups uncooked instant white rice (for creamier rice, decrease to 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets (about 6 ounces)
- If preparing using Unsalted Cream of Chicken you can add salt to taste. Our test kitchen found that 1/4 teaspoon of salt enhanced the flavor of the recipe and contributes an additional 147.5 mg of sodium per serving, but you can add less or more to make it right for you.
- Step 1Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 6 minutes or until browned on both sides (to prevent sticking- make sure the skillet and oil are hot before adding the chicken). Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Step 2Stir the soup, water and paprika in the skillet and heat to a boil. Stir in the rice and broccoli. Reduce the heat to low. Return the chicken to the skillet. Sprinkle the chicken with additional paprika. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is done and the rice is tender. Season to taste before serving.