Cooking this creamy chicken with spinach for dinner is always a winning combination. I am a huge fan of adding spinach to dishes because it gives such nice fresh quality, but also I love spinach because it’s low-carb and super healthy.
Hey there, I am back again with another recipe. Now that the weather is getting colder I always feel like cooking more comfort food. One of my favorites is a creamy chicken with spinach dish with tarragon, nutmeg, and a bit of chili powder. You can serve it with pasta or even rice and it’s very light and delicious!
Related Post: Orange Chicken With Noodles
CREAMY SPINACH MUSHROOM CHICKEN
This easy creamy spinach mushroom chicken is a fantastic one-pan dinner recipe. Served with crusty bread or steamed rice to soak up the silky sauce, it’s the kind of recipe the whole family will love.
I like using a few different varieties of mushrooms in this dish to create a bit of interest but it’s completely optional. I used chestnut/portabellini mushrooms as well as medium-sized brown mushrooms but feel free to use any variety you like or have. Chicken breasts cook much faster than thighs or drumsticks but any cut of chicken can be used instead. Fresh garlic, lemon juice, oregano, and a grating of Parmesan cheese add flavor and make the sauce utterly delicious.
- Chicken. Chicken breasts are great here but boneless chicken thighs can be used instead.
- Olive oil.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Dried oregano.
- Baby spinach. Kale or Swiss chard can be substituted.
- Cream. Heavy cream/whipping cream.
- Fresh lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper.
- Parmesan cheese.
HOW TO MAKE SPINACH MUSHROOM CHICKEN
- Prepare the chicken: Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board in front of you. With a sharp knife, carefully slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally to create two thin cutlets. Drizzle the olive oil over the chicken then season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Cook the chicken: Heat a large skillet or deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and allow to sear for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Make the sauce: In the same pan, melt the butter then cook the garlic and oregano for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown. Add the spinach and allow to cook for a few minutes until wilted. Pour in the cream then bring to a simmer. Allow to gently cook for 5 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked and the sauce has reduced slightly. Season the sauce with lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Place the chicken back in the pan and cook for another 5 minutes then serve.
CAN I MAKE THIS AHEAD?
The chicken and sauce can be made up to a day in advance and kept in the fridge. Reheat in a pan over medium heat until hot and bubbling. Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Creamy spinach mushroom chicken
Creamy spinach and mushroom chicken with a silky sauce flavored with fresh lemon and garlic is a simple, delicious dinner recipe.
Keywords: chicken and mushroom recipes, chicken mushroom, Mushroom chicken
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 chicken breasts (approximately 500g/1lb)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3 Fresh garlic cloves
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 250 g (1lb) Mushrooms
- 150 g (7oz) baby spinach
- 1 cup Cream
- 1-2 tsp Fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board in front of you. With a sharp knife, carefully slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally to create two thin cutlets.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the chicken then season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a large skillet or deep frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and allow to sear for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the butter then cook the garlic and oregano for 30 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown. Add the spinach and allow to cook for a few minutes until wilted.
- Pour in the cream then bring to a simmer. Allow to gently cook for 5 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked and the sauce has reduced slightly.
- Season the sauce with lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Place the chicken back in the pan and cook for another 5 minutes then serve.
Calories: 293kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 347mg | Potassium: 1038mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3804IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 225mg | Iron: 3mg
Creamy Chicken & Spinach Pasta
I love recipes that come with a dash of nostalgia and this one never fails to deliver. In what now feels like another life, I was in a band with my Swedish pal Jonathan and, while staying at his place, I picked up this great recipe from his ‘Mamma’, Kerstin. She knows how to feed a crowd and this recipe is delicious.
Related Post: Chicken With Italian Seasoning Recipe
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet. Heat the butter in a large frying pan and, when foaming, fry the chicken for about 4–6 minutes or until cooked through. Add the garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and spinach, and fry until the spinach has wilted.
- Add the cream and bring to a steady simmer for 3–4 minutes. Once the pasta is cooked drain and add to the sauce. Toss well and serve straight away.
A knob of butter
400g skinless chicken breasts, sliced into thick strips
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
50g ready-to-use sun-dried tomatoes
150g baby spinach leaves
250ml single cream
A generous pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
CREAMY SPINACH CHICKEN
This one-pan Creamy Spinach Chicken is the recipe you pull out on that busy Fall week when life is crazy but you still desperately want a home-cooked warm and cozy meal.
An easy chicken dinner that is flavorful, delicious, and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare!
Here’s what you can expect: Lightly breaded seasoned chicken cutlet, crispy and flavorful, coated in a creamy garlic sauce packed with spinach.
Made with minimal, pantry-friendly ingredients… you get your protein and vegetables all in one!
We love a good one-pan meal around here because what is better than only having to deal with one single pan when you are cooking and only cleaning one pan.
The cleaning part is probably what makes me do the happy dance whenever I make a one-pan meal.
WHAT GOES INTO CREAMY SPINACH CHICKEN
My husband devoured this the 255 times I made this to get ready for this blog post.
Okay, maybe 255 is an exaggeration, but there was a whole of Creamy Spinach Chicken in our household for a few weeks. On repeat for lunch, dinner, lunch, and dinner over and over again.
For the sake of recipe testing and perfecting this recipe for you all!
Here’s a testimony to how good this dish is though: we LOVED it every single time.
While this dish tastes amazing, you won’t believe how easy it is. It calls for simple, pantry-friendly ingredients that you may already have at hand:
- Chicken cutlets – a.k.a. thinly sliced chicken breast. If you are using regular chicken breast, slice it lengthwise so it is thinner and easier to cook.
- All-purpose flour – used to bread the chicken
- Garlic – use fresh! Avoid substituting with garlic powder
- Half and half
- Salt and black pepper – important seasoning to ramp up the flavor profile in this dish
Besides the ingredients above, you will need a 12″ or 10″ skillet.
I like to use a non-stick skillet to make this creamy chicken goodness because it makes pan frying the breaded chicken a lot easier. If you are using a stainless steel skillet, make sure to grease it very so that the chicken will not stick to it.
HOW TO MAKE IT
When it comes to making this Creamy Garlic Spinach Chicken, we want to season, bread, and pan-fry the chicken first so that the chicken is well flavored and has a slightly crispy texture on the outside.
Once the chicken is done, it will be removed from the skillet, and then we will use the same skillet to make the sauce.
Once the sauce thickens, add spinach.
It may look like there is a whole lot of spinach, but don’t worry, it will cook down quite a bit!
This is a great way to pack in all the veggies for your non-veggie lovers.
Once the spinach is folded into the sauce, bring the chicken cutlets back into the skillet and coat it with sauce.
And like I promised from the very beginning, only one pan/one skillet needed to cook this entire dish!
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Use a large skillet (10 or 12-inch nonstick skillet) for this so that chicken is not over-crowded in the pan.
- Use thinly sliced chicken or chicken cutlets. Another option is to slice a regular chicken breast into half lengthwise to get a thinly sliced chicken.
- Do not overcook the chicken. Overcooked chicken is no longer juicy and has a rubbery texture. Using a meat temperature can help with that. Once the internal temperature reaches 165℉, remove the chicken from the skillet promptly.
Related Post: Chicken With Gravy Recipes Indian
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATION
Here are some fun ways to bring some variety to this chicken dish:
- Instead of chicken broth, use white wine! Be sure to cook down the alcohol if you are using white wine. You shouldn’t be able to taste the alcohol in the sauce if it is completely cooked down.
- Add other veggies in addition or the place of spinach: red bell peppers, carrots, kale, green onions, broccoli, etc. It’s a great way to load up the vegetables!
- I love making this with pork chops instead of chicken as well. The cooked internal temperature of pork is at least 160℉. Do not overcook pork as well!