This Creamy Mushroom Chicken With Rice is easy and delicious! It’s a one pot meal that comes together quickly for a delicious dinner the entire family will love. If you are looking for an easy weeknight recipe, this creamy mushroom chicken with rice is perfect! This recipe only takes 30 minutes to make. That’s faster than going through a fast food line and without the sodium!
Creamy Chicken and Rice With Mushroom
Creamy Chicken and rice with roasted mushrooms is a one-pot dinner that is hearty and comforting. Caramelized mushroom adds so much flavour to the dish and makes a perfect family-friendly dinner.
A meal can’t be cozier than this Creamy Chicken and rice with roasted mushroom. Rice and chicken cook up in one pot, soaking up all the flavors. It is comfort food made with a handful of ingredients.
What I love about This Recipe?
We love rice and have it every single day. And when the recipe has both chicken and rice then what’s not to love about it.
- Easy one pot dish , so easy clean up.
- Takes about 30 minutes to make.
- A really versatile dish. There is chicken, rice and mushroom but you can add your favorite veggies.
- It is creamy. Top with extra cheese while serving to lure your little ones.
- Stores really well in the refrigerator.
List of ingredients you need
I am sure most of the ingredients you might already have in your pantry now or maybe you will have to grab a packet of mushroom from the nearby store to make this Creamy parmesan chicken and rice with mushrooms.
Chicken: I have used Chicken breast, cut into cubes. You can also use chicken thighs instead.
Mushroom: Button mushroom sliced and roasted in a bit of butter until crispy. Roasted mushroom is so much flavorful.
Aromatic: Onion, Garlic, and herbs. That’s all you need for an aromatic broth in which the chicken and rice will get cooked.
Low Sodium Chicken Stock: Try to use good Quality low sodium stock . I make stock at home, so that I can control the amount of salt. Always check seasoning after you add the stock to the rice and mix everything, then adjust the seasoning.
Cream and Parmesan: We don’t need oodles of cream or cheese. Just enough to bind the rice and give it a creamy consistency.
Steps To make Creamy Parmesan Chicken and rice with Mushroom
Can we substitute Brown Rice with White
Brown rice really won’t fit in with all the flavors here. What we are looking for is a soft delicate creamy texture and brown rice has a different texture when cooked. So no, this Chicken and Rice taste best when made with white rice.
Storing Suggestion for Leftover Chicken and Rice
You can easily refrigerate the leftovers up to 3 days in an airtight container. Once cooled down, the rice might absorb all the moisture and thicken up. While reheating add little warm stock to the chicken and rice to loosen it up.
Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Chicken and Rice
Chicken and rice with roasted mushrooms is an easy and delicious one-pot dinner. A very versatile recipe where you can easily sneak in veggies of your choice, it is not loaded heavily with cream. For more detailed step by step instructions watch the recipe video after the recipe.
Course: Main Course
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 people
- 1 cup long grain white Rice
- 500 grams boneless chicken breast
- 200 grams button mushroom Sliced
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2.5 cup chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet. Add sliced mushrooms and a ¼ teaspoon salt. Let it cook undisturbed for about 5 minutes on high heat. Mushroom would release a lot of water.
- Then lower the heat and cook until the mushroom looks brown and crispy. Take out of the skillet and keep aside.
- To the same pan, add the rest of the butter. When butter melts add chopped onions and minced garlic.
- Saute minced garlic for about a minute. The onions should be softened and the raw garlic smell should be gone.
- Add chicken, seasoning, and pepper. Stir everything well and cook for 3 minutes on medium-high heat. Its ok if the chicken looks undercooked, as it will be cooked further along with rice.
- Add rice to the skillet. Stir on medium heat for 2 minutes. The rice should nicely get coated with the herbs and seasoning.
- Add warm chicken stock to the skillet. Add salt to taste.
- Let everything come to a boil. Then lower the heat, cover and let it cook on low heat until all the water has evaporated and the rice is cooked through. It should take about 12-15 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, cooked mushroom, and shredded parmesan cheese.
- Serve hot with a garnish of chopped parsley and more parmesan cheese on top.
- Refer note for tips on variations.
- You can add veggies like celery, carrot, peas. If adding celery add it along with onion and garlic. If adding carrot or peas, add it just before adding stock to the skillet.
- Adding warm stock to the skillet reduces the cooking time. And also adding warm stocks also stops half cooked chicken from getting tough. The chicken remains soft and moist.
- The Chicken stock already has salt in it. So check the seasoning before adding more salt.
Calories: 569kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 139mg | Sodium: 552mg | Potassium: 899mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 720IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 152mg | Iron: 2mg
Creamy Mushroom Chicken with Rice
This comforting, cheesy, creamy mushroom chicken with rice is the perfect fall recipe. It’s done in about 25 minutes in just one pot, so you can have a delicious dinner in no time and with just a bit of clean-up.
HOW WILL THIS CREAMY CHICKEN RICE MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER?
Dinner is no longer a chore with this super easy creamy mushroom chicken with rice recipe, all you need are fresh mushrooms, and the rest of the ingredients you’ll hopefully have in your kitchen.
Set a timer to cook the mushrooms, flip them, and then add the remaining ingredients to cook for 15-20 minutes. This easy rice dish cooks in one pot, and is ready in less than half an hour.
WHAT MAKES THIS CHICKEN MUSHROOM DISH SO GOOD?
HOW DO I MAKE IT?
Pan fry your mushrooms in butter and fresh thyme, if you have it. If not, you can use ½ the amount of dried thyme. Make sure to leave enough room for your mushrooms, they need to be in a single layer to brown up. Remove.
Add rinsed rice (make sure to rinse your rice or it gets gummy), garlic, chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add more water if needed.
When done, fluff rice with a fork, add cream cheese, cooked mushrooms and parmesan cheese. Serve creamy mushroom chicken with rice immediately.
- RINSE YOUR RICE. Your creamy mushroom chicken with rice will be gummy if you don’t.
- Use a small chicken breast or chicken thigh if you don’t have tenders.
- You can use equal amounts of heavy cream or half & half instead of milk in this chicken recipe.
- You can add other vegetables to your dish.
- Swap chicken for ground beef or pork, or tofu.
- Other great add-ins: zucchini, onions, other vegetables, oregano, and red pepper flakes would all be great in creamy mushroom chicken with rice.
Can we cook mushrooms and chicken together?
It’s best to cook mushrooms in a single layer, which takes up space. Cook the mushrooms before the chicken in creamy mushroom chicken with rice so your mushrooms can be nice and browned.
WHAT CAN I MAKE WITH LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS?
- Chicken: Chicken Walnut Cranberry Salad, Buffalo Chicken Flatbread, and Chicken Bacon and Brussels Sprouts Sheet Pan Dinner.
- Rice: Stuffed Squash with Ground Beef and Rice, Thai Inspired Beef and Garlic Bowl, and Black Bean Veggie Tacos.
- Mushrooms: Ravioli with Mushroom Cream Sauce, IP Chicken Soup with Mushrooms, and Chicken Bacon and Mushroom Pasta.
- Thyme: Sweet Potato Soup with Tofu, and Roasted Garlic Mushrooms.
CREAMY GARLIC MUSHROOM CHICKEN
A good pan sauce is so simple to make and squeezes every last drop of flavor out of your meat. This week I made a creamy garlic pan sauce for some chicken thighs that I had stashed in the freezer, and added mushrooms to bulk out the meal a bit. You can serve this Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken over pasta or rice, or if you’re trying to curb the carbs, make a big ol’ beautiful salad to compliment these creamy flavors. Keep dinner simple, keep dinner delicious!
CREAMY GARLIC MUSHROOM CHICKEN
CREAMY GARLIC MUSHROOM CHICKEN
A simple pan sauce saves the day in this quick and easy Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
- 8 oz mushrooms ($1.99)
- 4 cloves garlic ($0.32)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs ($3.94)
- Salt and pepper to taste ($0.05)
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil ($0.04)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth* ($0.07)
- 1 cup half and half ($0.85)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan ($0.41)
- Parsley for garnish (optional) ($0.10)
- Wash and slice the mushrooms. Mince the garlic. Season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium, then add a tablespoon of cooking oil. Swirl the oil to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add the chicken thighs to the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side and cooked through (about 5 minutes per side). Remove the chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet and sauté for one minute, or just until the garlic softens. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 5-7 minutes more, or until the mushrooms have wilted. Add the chicken broth to the skillet and stir to dissolve all the browned bits off the bottom.
- Add the half and half to the skillet and bring it up to a simmer. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer the liquid, stirring often, for about five minutes. Stir in the Parmesan until it has melted in.
- Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper if needed. Add the chicken back to the skillet, drench with sauce, and heat over low until warmed through. Top with fresh parsley for garnish, if desired.
*I use Better Than Bouillon to make my broth.