I love making Crock Pot Chicken With Rice Soup because it’s easy to make and tastes delicious. My fiance and I really enjoy eating this on weekend evenings when we’re just wanting something light. This is definitely a recipe we’ll be making again (and again).
I really love soup. It’s so easy to make and you can use things you have in your house, which makes it even easier. This recipe for Crock Pot Chicken With Rice Soup is one I created, and I hope you love it!
CROCK-POT CHICKEN & RICE SOUP
This recipe for Crock-Pot Chicken & Rice Soup is a warm meal that will hit the spot for those cold fall or winter days!
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN & RICE SOUP
With the weather getting chilly there is nothing more that I love than a slow cooker of soup simmering away on the counter just waiting to be ladled into bowls for dinner.
And when you are coming down with a cold there is just something so comforting about a bowl of chicken soup.
While chicken noodle soup is a classic go to, I don’t always have noodles on hand but I almost always have rice in my pantry.
This recipe for chicken and rice soup is rather easy to put together and the herbs and seasonings make for such a flavorful soup. My secret to taking the soup up a notch though is to add some freshly squeezed lemon juice right before serving.
The lemon compliments the soup and just brightens up the flavor of the soup.
To serve for dinner I like to toss together a simple side salad and set out some bread or breadsticks for dipping into the broth and sopping up the last drops.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I Use Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs?
You can easily substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs for the chicken breasts in this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken And Rice Soup. The cooking time will be the same but the calorie and fat content will be higher. But feel free to use either thighs or breasts or even a combination of the two types of light and dark meat chicken.
Can I Use Brown Rice Or Wild Rice Instead Of White Rice In This Chicken And Rice Soup?
Absolutely! If you want to use brown or wild rice instead of white rice just add the rice at the very beginning of the cooking time when you add the chicken, broth, veggies and herbs and spices.
SLOW COOKER SHREDDED CHICKEN & RICE SOUP
This simple, comforting, and classic Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken & Rice Soup comes together in minutes and is perfect for a busy weeknight meal.
Is there anything more nostalgic than a really, really good chicken soup? My love for nourishing, delicious soups has been well-documented here, but I’m always eager to add another classic to the rotation! It gets bonus points if it’s 1. homemade but, 2. SUPER easy. Check and check!
No need to open a can when you have a Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken & Rice Soup recipe in your back pocket. It’s easy as can be, brightened with pesto and a little lemon, and ready to sip with a smile.
SHREDDED CHICKEN & RICE SOUP INGREDIENTS
Let’s talk ingredients! This is actually a relatively short list for a from-scratch soup, which is one of the reasons why I love this recipe. It’s not fancy, but it’s filled with flavor.
- Chicken: 1.5 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about three breasts.
- Carrots: About 2-3 large carrots diced small.
- Celery: Use 3-4 larger stalks, and just like the carrots, cut ’em small.
- Garlic: I put 4 cloves in, but follow your heart here!
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, dried thyme, and chopped parsley are bringing all the flavor.
- Chicken broth: The base of our soup. I always grab low-sodium so I have a bit more control of how much salt is included.
- White rice: I used white basmati rice. Uncooked, about one cup. I love using rice instead of noodles. It’s gluten-free and still adds filling, nourishing substance. DO NOT add the rice at the beginning of your cook time! It will turn to mush. If you use brown rice or wild rice you can add it at the beginning.
- Pesto: If this recipe had a secret ingredient, it would be the pesto. So much flavor!
- Lemon: A squeeze of fresh lemon makes almost any dinner come alive. Don’t leave it out. Trust me on this one.
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER SHREDDED CHICKEN SOUP
This soup is just so easy to make! The rice soaks up a lot of the liquid so it’s brothy, thick, and delicious.
- Add ingredients into the slow cooker: chicken, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and broth all go in first and cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours stir in the rice, then put the lid back on and leave it for another hour. That’s four total hours of slow cooker time!
- After 4 hours remove the chicken, shred it, and return it to the slow cooker. Mix in the pesto, lemon juice, and fresh parsley. Soup’s ready!
WHAT KIND OF RICE WORKS BEST IN SLOW COOKER CHICKEN SOUP?
You actually have a couple options here, so do what works best for your schedule. I used white Basmati rice in this recipe, which has to be added in the final hour of cook time. Adding white rice at the beginning creates this mushy texture that’s just…yuck.
Cook the soup for three hours, then stir white rice in for the final (fourth) hour of slow cooker time.
If you have brown or wild rice, both of which have a heartier texture, they can be added at the very beginning of the recipe and cook for the full four hours no problem. Pre-cooked rice should be stirred in at the very end, right before serving. See? Options!
I think soup is best served with good, crusty French or sourdough bread! I love picking up a loaf at the farmer’s market when I know soup is on the menu. You could also serve it with a simple salad, a grilled cheese sandwich, or saltine crackers!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup
This slow cooker chicken and rice soup is healthy, flavorful, and fuss-free, made with boneless skinless chicken breasts, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, fresh thyme, bay leaves, chicken broth, and instant white rice (for extra convenience).
Chicken soup is classic—a food so powerful it has become a metaphor for warmth, healing, and love—and this slow cooker chicken and rice soup is all of those things. It’s the winter cure-all.
The best part? It’s EASY. Of course there’s something to be said for slowing down with some unhurried, all-day-long cooking, but there’s also something to be said for letting your slow cooker do that unhurried, low-and-slow cooking for you. My slow cooker chicken and rice soup is completely fuss-free and fabulous. Combine boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped onion, carrots, celery, garlic, fresh thyme, bay leaves, white wine, and chicken broth in your crock pot, walk away, and 4 hours later you’ll have a cozy bowl of chicken soup with all the taste and none of the hassle. I use instant white rice because of the extra convenience, but you can add any grain or pasta you want—or skip the grains altogether to make it lower carb. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time4 hrs
Total Time4 hrs 10 mins
Course: Chicken, Main Course, Soup
Keyword: easy chicken recipe, slow cooker chicken soup recipe
- 1 ½ lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- ¼ cup dry white wine (optional)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup instant white rice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- In the base of your slow cooker, combine the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, parsley, bay leaves, white wine, broth, salt, and pepper; stir. Add the chicken breasts (make sure they’re covered with the liquid).
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 4 hours on low or 2-3 hours on high. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and use 2 forks to shred chicken into bite-size pieces. Discard the thyme sprigs and and bay leaves.
- Stir the instant rice into the soup in the slow cooker. Cover and cook until tender, 10-15 minutes. Return the shredded chicken to the soup. Add the parsley. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve.
Sodium: 1322mg | Calcium: 50mg | Vitamin C: 24mg | Vitamin A: 5350IU | Sugar: 2g | Fiber: 2g | Potassium: 787mg | Cholesterol: 73mg | Calories: 219kcal | Saturated Fat: 1g | Fat: 4g | Protein: 27g | Carbohydrates: 18g | Iron: 2mg