Crockpot Chicken With Cream of Chicken Soup and Cream Cheese is a delicious, easy recipe I put together that my family loved. I was trying to think of a different way to make chicken, and have it be simple but still have a WOW factor so I experimented with the cream of chicken soup and cream cheese.
Creamy Crock Pot Cream Cheese Chicken
Total:7 hrs 10 mins
Servings:4 to 6 servings
|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
This tasty cream cheese chicken recipe takes just minutes to throw together and then it cooks hands-free in the slow cooker. Warm and comforting, it’s also kid friendly, thanks to the creamy cheesiness that the cream cheese and condensed soup imparts. All you have to do is toss the ingredients in the slow cooker, set it, and forget it until it’s time to eat.
The recipe is a popular one, and it’s versatile. Add extra celery if you like or add some baby carrots or sliced carrots to the pot. For more color and flavor, add some frozen vegetables—peas, mixed vegetables, green beans, or broccoli florets—about 20 minutes before serving time. Feel free to replace the cream of chicken soup with cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup. If you use the cream of mushroom soup, add some sliced canned or fresh mushrooms to the pot along with the celery and onions if you’d like.
Hot cooked rice makes an excellent base for the chicken and sauce. Or serve the chicken with mashed potatoes. Add a salad or steamed veggies for a well-balanced dinner. This meal will satisfy everyone, from picky toddlers to adults.
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast halves, about 4 to 6
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, or to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces cream cheese, reduced fat if desired, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, preferably unsalted or low sodium
Steps to Make It
- Place the chicken breasts in the crock pot after patting them dry with paper towels.
- Brush the chicken with the melted butter and sprinkle with salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic.
- To the pot, add the diced celery and onions.
- In a bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and cream cheese. Pour over the chicken and vegetables.
- For 5 to 7 hours, cook on low with a cover.
- Chicken breasts are easy to fix in the slow cooker, but there are a few caveats. Overcooked chicken breasts can become dry and chewy. To avoid this, check the chicken for tenderness after 5 hours, especially if your crock pot tends to cook quickly. According to the USDA, the minimum safe temperature for chicken is 165 F. If you want to be certain the chicken is cooked to tender perfection, check the temperature with an instant-read thermometer.
- Another choice for this recipe is boneless chicken thighs, which are more forgiving due to their higher fat content and ability to stay tender and juicy even after lengthy, slow cooking. If you must be gone for seven hours or longer, you may want to opt for chicken thighs.
Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken
Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken is creamy delicious comfort food. Tender chicken is slow cooked in a creamy base to make this dish a memorable meal for your family.
Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken
Prepare yourself for some comfort food. November, to me, conjures up images of casseroles, slow cookers, soups, and stews. This Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken gives me the robust food I need to fill me up.
This dish is fantastic since you can make it in the morning before work. Preparation actually takes no more than five minutes. Easy peasy. A little measurement here, a little sprinkling there. The final step of adding the cream cheese is completed when you come home from work, and dinner is served in one hour.
Matty, my fiance, devoured a sizable bowl of this dish and liked it. I believe he removed 3⁄4 of the crockpot! Maybe not that much, but it was still a good portion. I sent his folks on their way with a container to try as dinner after their brief stay. They are curious about what I’m prepared for dinner since they enjoy experimenting with new dishes.
Matty remarked that it was somewhat reminiscent of his mother’s creamed salmon on toast. I didn’t care too much for the dish because my mum also prepared it but she included peas (yuck). He should try the Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken on some toast, I instructed him.
Chicken Cream Cheese in a Slow Cooker Ingredients
My protein of choice, chicken from Canada, is the star of this dish!
Did you know that Canadian chicken is farmed in accordance with stringent, internationally established standards for food safety and animal care? It is also grain-fed, free of artificial hormones and steroids. And it tastes absolutely fantastic! healthy as well.
Check the chicken you purchase at the store for the “Raised by a Canadian Farmer” label. They are on the packages at the Walmart by my house. Even more recently, it was promoted in their flyer!
Italian seasoning, celery seed, onion powder, salt, pepper, and garlic cloves are the necessary spices.
Cream of mushroom soup and cream cheese are combined to create the richness.
Fresh chives were also added to give it a little extra flavor. If you don’t like them, you could leave them off.
How to Make Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken
For this dish, I used my 6-quart slow cooker. The chicken breasts should be put in the slow cooker first. If you want dark meat, you could alternatively use boneless chicken thighs.
Combine Italian seasoning, celery seed, onion powder, salt, pepper, and garlic cloves in a small bowl. On top of the chicken, evenly distribute this mixture.
Over the seasoned chicken, pour the cans of cream of mushroom soup. The cans don’t need water added to them. You just need the soup, nothing else.
Cook on LOW for 8 hours with the cover on. If you’d like, you can use a meat thermometer to determine whether it’s fully cooked.
Use two forks to shred the chicken after eight hours. It should be really delicate and disintegrate with ease. Replace the cover after adding cream cheese. 1 hour on HIGH for cooking.
To incorporate the melted cream cheese, stir one more. Before serving, you can top with chives.
These Slow Cooker Recipes for Beginners are also fantastic.
How to Serve Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken
You could serve it exactly as is with some vegetable sides, but if you want to see how versatile this dish is, here are some more options.