Curry chicken with rice is a classic dish that most people living in Kerala will be familiar with. So what makes it so popular? The sweet and spicy flavour has the power to tame even your unruly children. Mangaloreans, who disdain their strong flavours love this curry! It goes well with lemon rice and appam.
This is the perfect weeknight curry — it’s primarily comprised of ingredients you probably already have on hand: chicken, onions, garlic, pantry spices, heavy cream, and canned tomatoes. Not a spice lover? All good; while there are a lot of warm ground spices that season the dish, this curry isn’t spicy at all.
Wait, shouldn’t there be curry powder in this curry?
Curry powder is simply a combination of various of ground spices, which are present in this recipe! This combination of spices will yield that familiar curry flavor, and it’s on the milder side. If you’re looking to kick up the heat, try stirring in some cayenne a little at a time. You can also use your favorite curry powder in this dish!
What condiments should I serve with this?
Chutneys and lime or mango pickle are great accompaniments for curry. Their uses go way beyond curry, so you won’t have any problem getting to the bottom of the jar.
How long will the leftovers last?
Kept in an airtight container, this curry can last up to 4 days.
And don’t forget the homemade naan! Or check out our easy guide for how to cook rice and make yourself a perfect fluffy bowl of the good stuff. You’ll want them to soak up all of that sauce!
Editor’s Note: This introduction to this recipe was updated on September 15, 2020 to include more information about the dish.
Made this yet? Let us know how it went in the comments below!
PREP TIME:0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME:0 HOURS 45 MINS
extra-virgin olive oil
medium yellow onion, chopped
boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1″ pieces
cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp.
1 1/2 tsp.
1 1/2 tsp.
(15-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 c.
low-sodium chicken broth
Freshly ground black pepper
Basmati rice or naan, for serving
freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add chicken and sear until no pink remains, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add spices and cook until very fragrant, 1 minute. Add tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in heavy cream, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until chicken pieces are cooked through and tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice or with naan, garnished with cilantro.
CHICKEN CURRY RICE
Sharing is caring. Share on social media
Chicken Curry Rice or chicken rice curry that is flavourful, delicious and hit the right spots. This easy curry rice recipe is absolutely amazing and won’t dissapoint you!
If you are a frequent reader of my blog you already know how much i love eating rice. I eat rice a lot! (I think i need to do something about it- like i can eat rice 3 times a day for 365 days if i let myself. Yes a whole year and i won’t get bored! Good thing i caution myself and eat it with sense). There are just so many ways one can cook and eat rice. Plain rice accompanied with different Stews and Sauces, as one pot meals like Jollof rice, Native Rice, Curried Rice, etc.. One can just not go wrong with rice dishes. This chicken rice curry is one of my favourite dish. It’s flavourful and simply delicious. Here’s my easy curry rice recipe :
CHICKEN CURRY RICE RECIPE
My chicken curry rice recipe is a one pot meal and it’s pretty much straight forward. It takes 10 minutes to prepare and 45 minutes to cook so total time is about an hour or less.
For this recipe, you will use other spices than just curry powder. The blend of these spices and curry powder makes this dish packed full of flavour. I hope you love this easy curry rice recipe as much as i do.
You can use any good curry powder. Madras curry powder and Jamaican curry powder are some of the ones i particularly like to use for this curried rice recipe but i have used different types of curry powder other times and tastes great too! So you can use your favourite type of curry powder.
CURRY RICE INGREDIENTS
For this rice curry, i use the easycook long grain or golden sella basmati rice. These two are my favourite, unproblematic types of rice to use. You can however use some other types of rice suggested in the recipe card below.
you will need curry powder, thyme, cameroon pepper or black pepper, coriander, cumin, paprika, onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, scotch bonnet (you), sunflower or vegetable oil, rice, chicken (full ingredient details in recipe card)
HOW TO MAKE CURRY RICE
Get all ingredients ready then marinate the chicken as detailed below in the recipe card.
Add oil in a pot and put on stove then add in the marinated chicken. Brown the chicken. This takes about 5-8 minutes.
Pour in sliced onions, garlic, coriander, ginger, thyme and curry powder then stir and fry for a minute to release the flavours.
Add in tomatoes, scotchbonnet, Cameroon pepper or black pepper, stock cube and water.
Stir then add in the washed rice and salt. Cover and cook on low heat for 30 minutes or till rice is soft.
Fluff and stir the rice before taking off heat.
That’s yummy Chicken curry rice done. Best served warm.
Chicken Curry Rice
Chicken Curry Rice or chicken rice curry that is flavourful, delicious and hit the right spots. This easy curry rice recipe is absolutely amazing and won’t dissapoint!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Course: Chicken recipes, Main Course, Rice recipes
Cuisine: African, American, Indian, Mediterranean, Nigerian
Keyword: chicken curry rice, chicken rice curry, curried fried rice, curried rice, curry rice recipes
- 500 g Chicken breast
- ¼ Cup Vegetable or sunflower oil
- 4 tbspn Curry powder halved
- 1 tbspn Dried thyme
- 1 Handful Fresh Coriander chopped
- 4-6 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Thumbsize Ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Scotchbonnet Optional) chopped
- 2 Plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 Large Onion Sliced
- ¼ teaspoon Cameroon pepper or black pepper
- 2 Cups Long grain or Sella basmati Rice
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Optional
- 3 Stock cubes 1 to marinate chicken and 2 for use later on
- Get all ingredients ready then marinate the chicken with paprika, 1 stock cube, tablespoon of Curry powder, thyme and salt.
- Add oil in a pot and put on stove then add in the marinated chicken. Brown the chicken This takes about 5-8 minutes.
- Pour in sliced onions, garlic, coriander, ginger, thyme and curry powder then stir and fry for a minute to release the flavours.
- Add in tomatoes, scotchbonnet, Cameroon pepper or black pepper, stock cube and water. Stir then add in the washed rice and salt.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 30 minutes or till rice is soft.
- Stir rice before taking off heat.
Use good curry powder such as Madras curry powder, jamaican curry powder or any of your favourite.
Use Easycook long grain rice or golden sella basmati rice. You can also use other types of basmati rice but adjust cooking time.
Calories not calculated for this recipe.
THAI CURRY CHICKEN WITH RICE
This simple Thai Curry Chicken with Rice dish screams comfort food! It’s creamy, savory and bursting with flavor. It’s a great weekday meal the whole family will love!
This beautiful Thai Curry Chicken will warm your belly while putting a smile on your face 😁 ! If you’re serious about cooking Asian food (or not!), you simply must have yellow curry powder or curry paste in your pantry! It’s a staple for Asian/Indian food and worth the few bucks it costs to purchase it.
l smell amazing!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE THIS CURRY RECIPE
You might already have all of these ingredients on hand! I keep these spices in my pantry and they last for quite some time. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Canola oil (or vegetable oil). Coconut oil would work as well.
- Chicken stock (or broth). I used low-sodium chicken broth.
- Plain whole-milk yogurt (or low-fat). You could use plain Greek yogurt as well.
- Onion (one large).
- Garlic (three cloves). You can use the frozen cubed garlic too.
- Ginger (fresh, grated). You can use the frozen cubed ginger too.
- Thai chili peppers (seeded). Depending on your spice tolerance, use just one or two peppers.
- Cilantro (fresh). Save some extra for garnish.
- Yellow curry powder. This already has turmeric for that beautiful color.
- Ground cumin. For extra flavor!
- Salt. Not much, but taste for seasoning.
- Chicken breasts. You can use thighs too if that’s what you have on hand.
- Jasmine rice. This rice is so fragrant. You can substitute with regular white or brown rice.
This curry chicken dish comes together very quickly. I love all the flavors in every bite from the mild and fragrant curry, the tangy fresh ginger, aromatic garlic, and of course, the tender chicken!
Homemade Thai Curry Chicken with Rice is way better than take-out and ready in no time! It’s a quick weekday meal that will be on repeat in your house!
Want another great curry dish? Try this delicious Thai Curry Tofu and Shrimp! It’s full of veggies and shrimp, and flavored with the goodness of red curry paste, lemongrass, spicy sambal oelek, and light coconut milk.
TIPS & TRICKS
- Don’t have powdered curry? Use 3-4 tablespoons of yellow curry paste instead!
- Thai chili peppers are super hot! Depending on your spice tolerance, use only 1-2 peppers, and make sure to seed them first! If you can’t fine these chili peppers, substitute with a ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or 2 large jalapeño peppers.
- Make it dairy-free! Use one 13.5-ounce can of full-fat (or light) coconut milk instead of yogurt.
- Plain Greek yogurt can be substituted for the whole-milk yogurt. The dish will be a bit thicker.
- I used Jasmine rice, but feel free to use cooked white or brown rice as well.