Diet plans to lose 10 lbs in a month are based on a number of factors. These include a person’s current weight and their height, how motivated they are to lose weight, and what resources they have available at their disposal.
Everyone is looking for ways to loose weight. It can be achieved by making some changes in your diet and workout regime. This post is all about a diet plan that can help you lose 10 pounds within a month.
10-Pound Weight Loss Plan
Plan most meals to include 2 to 4 ounces of protein, 1/2 cup of whole grains and 2 cups of watery, fibrous vegetables. For snacks, forgo processed convenience foods, and choose a piece of fresh fruit, celery sticks with a tablespoon of nut butter, deli turkey wrapped in romaine leaves with mustard or a cup of plain, low-fat yogurt.
Ideas for breakfast include half a grapefruit alongside an egg scrambled with mushrooms and peppers and a slice of whole-wheat toast; a smoothie made with 1/2 banana, a handful of spinach, 1/2 cup strawberries, a scoop of whey protein powder and almond milk; or a whole-wheat English muffin topped with 1 ounce of low-fat cheese and sliced tomatoes, placed under the broiler.
For lunch, enjoy a cup of homemade lentil soup with a green salad; grilled chicken breast with 1/2 cup of brown rice and steamed asparagus; tuna canned in water mixed with mustard and capers, with carrot and celery sticks; or plain, low-fat Greek yogurt, a hard-boiled egg and woven wheat crackers with an apple.
Cook dinner at home to avoid large portion sizes and the excess calories you get in restaurant meals. Broil a flank steak and serve with sauteed onion and peppers with corn tortillas, salsa and a few slices of avocado. Roast a fillet of salmon to have with 1/2 cup of wild rice and steamed broccoli.
Make a chili with black beans, canned tomatoes and spices to serve over brown rice with a side of roast zucchini. If you do eat out, look for broiled or baked entrees, and ask the server for steamed vegetables or a side salad instead of fries or a pilaf.
Physical Activity for Weight Loss
To lose 10 pounds in three weeks without losing considerable muscle mass, you must be physically active. To create the substantial deficit that’s required, it is essential to engage in concerted gym activity and to increase your daily movement.
The more you weigh, the more calories you burn for the same amount of activity. Cardiovascular exercise, such as jogging or swimming, burns more than weight training, but both are essential when you’re trying to lose weight. For cardio, plan at least 60 to 90 minutes most days to burn enough calories to prompt a 10-pound loss in three weeks.
For example, according to Harvard Health Publishing, if you weigh 185 pounds, a half hour on the elliptical trainer burns about 400 calories. If you weigh 155 pounds, you burn 335 calories in the same amount of time. A very brisk walk at a 4.5-mph pace burns just 222 calories for a 185-pound person in 30 minutes, and 186 calories if you weigh 155 pounds.
If you’re new to exercise, trying to exert yourself for an hour or more per day may not be realistic; your weight-loss goal will most likely have to be modified.
Weight training helps you maintain muscle mass as you lose weight. When you lose muscle, your metabolism diminishes, which makes weight loss harder. Go for at least two sessions per week on non-consecutive days. Work every major muscle group, too — including the chest, back, arms, shoulders, legs, hips and abs, with one to three sets of eight to 12 repetitions.
Other physical activity you do during the day helps boost your calorie burn, too. Scrub the floors, do the laundry,
Lose 10 Pounds In a Month with the Help of This Healthy Eating Plan
Wondering how to lose 10 pounds in a month? These breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks can make meeting your weight-loss goal easier…and tastier.
So you want to lose a guy in 10 days 10 pounds in a month? Okay, but first it’s important to note that fast weight loss isn’t always the best (or most sustainable) strategy. Still, life happens and, with it, deadlines, such as a wedding or vacation — both of which can cause unnecessary stress about the way you look. And so, with a big event just around the corner, you’re set on learning how to lose 10 pounds in a month, safely.
In addition to following these safe, research-backed exercise tips and drinking plenty of H20 (which you should always be doing, BTW), adhering to a healthy diet can help you meet your goals, too. This menu of quick, energy-packed dishes can help you lose weight in one month — the healthy and happy way. Simply choose from the meals and snacks below to customize your “lose 10 pounds in a month” diet plan for a total of 1,500 calories a day.
With a pretty strict plan, you can reasonably expect to lose 8 to 10 pounds in one month, but that doesn’t apply if you’re already on a low-calorie diet to begin with. Before diving into this diet, check out how many calories you’re really eating — and how many you should eat based on your activity level, basal metabolic rate, and lifestyle factors. Surprisingly enough, eating too little can hinder your weight loss goals, too. (Also read: How Much Weight Can You Safely Lose In a Month?)
Once you’ve calculated your calorie needs and determined they fit with this nutrition plan, you’ll be right on track to drop 10 lose pounds in a month without experiencing a single case of the hangries.
Recipes developed by Natalia Hancock, R.D.
The “Lose 10 Pounds in a Month” Diet Plan: 300-Calorie Breakfast Ideas
Psst…coffee alone doesn’t count as a healthy breakfast. Instead, choose one of the satisfying and easy recipes below. (But really though, how much coffee is too much?)
Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancakes
Makes: 4 small pancakes (2 servings)
- 1/4 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup grated apple
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons wheat germ
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole-grain pancake mix
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine oats and skim milk and let stand 5 minutes. Add apple and egg.
- In small bowl, mix together wheat germ, cinnamon, and pancake mix. Slowly add dry ingredients to oat mixture.
- In a medium skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add 1/4 of the batter and cook, flipping once, until pancake is lightly browned on both sides.
- Repeat. Serve with Greek yogurt mixed with brown sugar.
Ham, Egg, and Cheese Sandwich
- 1 whole-wheat English muffin
- 1 slice lean uncured ham
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 1 tablespoon shredded American cheese
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped melon
- Toast a English muffin. On one half, layer 1 slice lean uncured ham and egg mixed with American cheese and seasoned with salt and black pepper.
- Top with remaining muffin half and serve with melon. (Related: 11 Healthy Breakfast Sandwich Recipes)
Mushroom and Spinach Strata
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 slices whole-grain bread, toasted
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Mist the bottom of a small baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; place bread on bottom.
- Mist a large skillet with nonstick spray; add mushrooms, pepper, and onion; saute 5 minutes. Add 4 cups baby spinach and saute 1 minute.
- Beat eggs with milk and pour over bread. Top with sauteed vegetables and 2 tablespoons Parmesan; season with salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until egg is fully cooked. (Can refrigerate up to 24 hours before cooking, adding Parmesan just before baking.)
Warm Honey Oats
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pear
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- Dash ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Bring 1/2 to 3/4 cup water to a boil; add oats and pear.
- Reduce heat and cook oats according to package directions. Top with ground flaxseeds, ground ginger, and honey. (Or try one of our other oatmeal recipes for weight loss.)
Veggie Patty with Apple-Chicken Sausage
- 1 apple-chicken sausage
- 1/4 cup sweet potato, grated
- 1/4 cup red bliss potato, grated
- 1/4 cup zucchini, grated
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Salt, to taste
- Cayenne, to taste
- Nutmeg, to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Cook apple-chicken sausage according to package directions.
- Mix sweet potato, Red Bliss potato, and zucchini together and pat with paper towel to absorb moisture.
- Add 1 egg white and 1 tablespoon flour; season to taste with salt, cayenne, and nutmeg.
- Form into a patty and cook with 1 teaspoon canola oil over medium heat until browned on each side. Serve with 1/2 pink grapefruit. (Bonus: The Best Breakfast to Eat Before Every Type of Workout)
“Lose 10 Pounds in a Month” Diet Plan: 400-Calorie Lunch Ideas
Combat #saddesklunch syndrome and fuel up midday with one of these colorful, flavorful recipes.
Spicy Shrimp Noodle Salad
- 1/3 cup cellophane noodles or angel hair pasta
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/4 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/4 cup sugar snap peas
- 3 ounces shrimp, peeled
- 1 teaspoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Dash red pepper flakes
- Dash sea salt
- 1/4 cup sprouts
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Cook cellophane noodles or angel hair pasta. With 1 minute cooking time remaining, add red bell pepper, carrot, and sugar snap peas. Remove noodles and vegetables from pot; set pasta aside and rinse vegetables with cold water.
- Add shrimp to pot; simmer 3 minutes, drain.
- Whisk together peanut butter, rice vinegar, brown sugar, lime juice, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and sea salt. Toss noodles, vegetables, and shrimp with sprouts, scallion, and cilantro. Drizzle with dressing.
Veggie Burger Rice and Beans
- 1 veggie burger
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup thawed frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon diced avocado
- 3 tablespoons salsa
- Cook veggie burger according to package directions; cut into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Add onion, cumin, chili powder, and salt to low-sodium chicken stock and use it in place of water to cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Mix cooked rice with black beans and frozen corn. Top with chopped veggie burger, diced avocado, and salsa.
Chunky Vegetable Salad with Lemon-Cumin Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped jicama
- 1/4 cup chopped apple
- 1/4 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup pineapple, cut into bite-size pieces
- Mix together chickpeas, kidney beans, carrot, jicama, apple, red bell pepper, celery, cucumber, and pumpkin seeds.
- Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, cumin, sugar, and salt; drizzle over salad. Serve with pineapple.
Waldorf Salad Wrap
- 1/2 Red Delicious apple, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 5 walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 ounce chicken breast, cooked
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed dressing
- 1 8-inch whole-grain wrap
- Mix together apple, celery, raisins, walnuts, carrot; chicken, and poppy seed dressing. Spoon onto an 8-inch whole-grain wrap and roll up.
Smoked Turkey Sandwich with Chipotle Mayo
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chilies in adobo
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon chipotle mayo
- 2 slices whole-grain bread
- 3 ounces smoked turkey
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- 4 slices cucumber
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- Blend together mayonnaise with cilantro, scallion, chipotle chilies in adobo, and lime juice.
- Spread chipotle mayo on bread. Top 1 slice with turkey, cheddar cheese, cucumber, and romaine lettuce. Top with remaining bread slice. (Or pair a banana with one of these 10 healthy sandwiches under 300 calories.)
20 Simple Tips To Lose 10 Pounds
Evaluate Your Goal
If you’re already in a healthy weight range but 10 pounds away from your personal ideal, it may take longer than three weeks to lose the weight. The more weight you need to lose, the easier it is to drop 10 pounds in three weeks.
Consider if your goal is realistic and worth the extraordinary effort to reach. Remember, as you get closer to a goal weight, you’ll need to make additional changes to your diet and exercise routine to achieve your goal. Losing more than 3 pounds per week for longer than two to three weeks is also discouraged, as it greatly increases your chances of health complications, such as gallstones.
Losing weight at a slower rate may be more doable and may make you less stressed than suffering to reach an impossible goal. When you take time to lose the weight, you’re more likely to keep that 10 pounds off for good, rather than cycling through losing and gaining continually.
1. The Golden Rule: Calories In vs. Calories Out
This simple fact simply cannot be overruled – to lose weight you must burn more calories than you consume.
Use tools to help track and measure your daily intake then slowly taper down. Start with 500kcal steps or lower until you observe a consistent weekly loss.
Never go dangerously low, eating much below 1200-1600 can stall your progress and harm your health!
2. Set Attainable Goals And Track Your Progress
Achieving each goal will help spur you on, so be realistic and start small. Here is an example of an easily achievable goal progression:
- Lose weight each week
- Lose 1-3 pounds per week
- Lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks
- Fit into size 30 jeans!
3. Consider Skipping Breakfast
Breakfast is commonly considered the most important meal of the day, however, it is not so when it comes to weight loss.
Intermittent fasting can be a useful fat-loss tool. Restrict yourself to a smaller eating window by skipping breakfast and only eating from 12-8pm. You will reduce your daily calorie intake without restricting your lunch and dinner!
4. Drink More Water (Especially Before Meals)
Drinking water an hour before eating has two proven benefits for weight loss:
- 24-30% boost in metabolism for 1-1.5 hours after intake
- Increased chance of consuming less calories which further supports weight loss
5. Make Coffee Your New Best Friend
Coffee has received a bad reputation in the past, however, it should be known that quality coffee is rich in antioxidants and beneficial to weight loss.
The caffeine content will boost your body’s metabolism by up to 10%, leading to a 10-29% increase in fat burning power. Take it black, with no added sugar!
6. Make Green Tea Your Second Best Friend
Green tea provides a milder dose of caffeine but it is abundant in wonderful catechins. These antioxidants will work with the caffeine in a perfect fat burning harmony!
7. Always Check For Added Sugar
Sugar has demonstrated worryingly strong links with obesity, diabetes and heart disease (to name a few).
But even if you do not add it yourself, you should check the ingredients of your sauces or packaged foods. Even self-proclaimed health foods can be riddled with added sugar!
8. Cut Out Simple Carbohydrates
Simple/refined carbohydrates are quickly absorbed, spiking your blood sugar and insulin levels in the process. As a result, you will feel hunger and cravings come back again in no time!
Avoid all sugar or refined grains by avoiding the following foods:
- Cookies, candy and sweets
- Packaged cereals
- White bread and rice
9. Scale Down Your Portion Sizes
It pays to become aware of how much you are eating, exercise portion control and slowly scale it down.
Even small reductions of 10-20% are often enough to tip the balance and trigger weight loss. Try measuring your portions more carefully and don’t underestimate the power of using smaller bowls!
10. Keep Healthy Food On Standby for Stacks
The power of temptation is mighty, so why not remove it completely?
Only keep healthy snacks within reach, then you won’t be able to binge on junk food! Here are some healthy ideas to stock your cupboard:
- Whole fruit
- Handful of nuts
- Hard boiled eggs
11. Spice Up Your Life
Breathe new life into your dishes and reinforce your weight loss efforts with the power of cayenne pepper! Capsaicin from cayenne pepper and other spicy foods helps to ramp up metabolism and decrease appetite.
12. Top Up Your Protein Intake
Protein rich foods not only keep you fuller for longer but burn more energy during digestion. Studies have shown that swapping calories for whey protein supplements can boost weight loss whilst increasing lean muscle!
Alternatively, here are a number of protein-rich food sources:
- Lean beef
- Skinless chicken breasts
- Low-fat yogurt
13. Balance Your Diet With Complex Carbs
Consuming complex carbs will produce a sustained energy release and keep blood sugar levels manageable. You can easily keep hunger and cravings at bay with these nutrient dense complex carbs:
- Brown rice
- Beans and legumes
14. Forget About Fast Food
Not matter how healthy it may claim to be, fast food is almost always laden with heart-clogging trans fats, excessive sugar and salt.
Worse yet, these meals are high in calories whilst low in nutritional value, making them a terrible choice for fuel. Before you know it, you will have broken the cardinal rule of calories in vs. calories out!
15. Watch Out for “Hidden Calories”
There’s no need to completely forgo your favorite condiments, just make sure you are aware of their true caloric impact. It’s easy to go overboard and negate much of your hard work!
Go easy with the following condiments and toppings, they are surprisingly heavy in calories:
- Salad dressing
16. Choose Low-Medium GI Foods
High GI foods sources cause sugar levels to shoot up, the resultant spike in insulin will actually encourage dreaded fat storage!
Check out the GI scale and choose low-medium GI foods. Your insulin levels will remain under control, you will feel fuller for longer and find it easier to lose weight!
17. Opt For Weight Training Over Cardio
Weight training burns a significant amount of calories, keeping you strong, fit and healthy in the process. It’s more effective than cardio for body recomposition as it helps preserve essential muscle mass whilst you lose weight.
Studies have also shown a significant increase in metabolic rate both during and after your workout, further supporting your weight loss efforts!
Choose a routine that uses compound lifts such as Presses, Squats and Deadlifts. These exercises recruit the largest amount of muscles per movement, ideal for maintaining lean muscle mass and trimming body fat.
18. Go Walking or Cycling
Consistent small actions soon add up to big changes. For this reason, why not choose to walk or cycle whenever you can? You will burn more calories as you go about your day without the need for further diet restrictions.
You can burn more calories as you go about your day, without any further diet restriction. If you’re physically able there is no excuse, take the stairs over escalators and lifts!
19. Get Enough Sleep
Sleep is highly underrated for weight loss. Forget about the 6-hour minimum claim, many of us require 8-9 hours to operate at peak efficiency.
Both duration and quality of sleep will have a great influence on hormones that control body composition. In fact, poor sleep has shown worrying links to obesity, increasing the risk in adults by 55%!
20. Be Careful Of Liquid Calories!
We all know alcohol dehydrates and damages our liver and kidneys. But it can also thwart weight loss efforts as an unexpected source of calories.
You may be surprised to know a beer can equate to 150kcal, 125kcal for a glass of red wine and a whopping 400Kcal for a single sweet Piña Colada! Instead, try sticking to tonic water with a slice of lime, your body will thank you!