The Dry Fruits for cake is a traditional recipe loved by people. it’s good to know how to prepare this type of cake. Almonds, pistachios, dry figs and dry plums are used to make this cake’s cut into attractive shapes. Further, put the prepared food on the plate, garnish with edible silver leaves and edible gold leaves. These leaves look so attractive and glittery that you can get a feeling of sweet happiness capturing your soul for a long time.
Dry fruits for Christmas fruit cake
Learn how to soak Dry fruits for Christmas Fruit Cake. Christmas is just a week away and are you planning to make some fruit cake for Christmas? Then first preparation work is soaking the different dry fruits required for making the fruit cake. Fruits can be soaked in alcohol or non alcoholic base. Soak dry fruits in alcohol up to 1 year for more intense and rich flavor
I have not tried soaking in alcohol . So this post will cover the non alcoholic options and options to soak in alcohol will be given in notes. I always tried only with fruit juice and it gives amazing results. You can use orange juice, grape juice, apple juice or spice tea mix. Soak only dry fruits and nuts can be added while making the cake.
Dry fruits can be soaked in juice/tea extract for 2-3 weeks. Store in glass container in fridge. You can make the cake after soaking for 3-4 hours too. You can use any dried fruits of your choice and quantity of juice/alcohol should be just enough to immerse the dry fruits completely. It will absorb the liquid when soaked for longer time resulting in more flavorful cake. You can use them in making whole wheat Christmas cake or Kerala Plum Cake.
Yields 500 grams
Soaking Dry Fruits for Christmas Cake | How to Soak Dry fruits for Christmas fruit cake
Learn how to soak Dry fruits for Christmas Fruit Cake
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- Black raisins 100 grams
- Golden Raisins 50 grams
- Dates 150 grams
- Dried Figs 50 grams
- Cherries 50 grams
- Tutti frutti 100 grams
- Orange Juice 2 cups
- Take all dried fruits required for soaking. I used black raisins, sultanas, dates, tutti frutti, figs and cherries.
- Chop them evenly and keep it ready.
- Make fresh orange juice from 4-5 oranges. Add sugar to it.
- Take the chopped fruits in a bowl.
- Pour orange juice over it to cover.
- Mix everything together.
- Store in clean air tight or glass container in fridge.
- Every 2-3 days shake the bottle.
- Use them as required in your recipe
Dry fruits can be soaked upto 1-2 years in alcohol.
If you are using fresh homemade orange juice, use it within 1 week.
If you use tetra pack juices, it can be kept for 2-3 weeks as it contains some preservatives.
I added sugar while preparing my orange juice.
You can add some mixed spice powder while soaking. I always prefer to use it while baking the cake.
You can soak in Rum, brandy or whisky for alcoholic options and orange juice, apple juice, grape juice or tea extract for non alcoholic option.
You can add spices like clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom and prepare tea extract and use it for soaking the dry fruits.
I used raisins, figs, sultanas, tutti fruti, cherries and dates
You can also use apricots, candies orange peels, candied lemon peels, candies ginger peels, plums, cranberries, currants, pruns etc.
I use only fruits for soaking and nuts will be added directly while making the cake. Nuts will lose its crunchiness when soaked for longer time. Every 2-3 days, shake the bottle in fridge and add more juice/alcohol if required.
Dry Fruit Cake Recipe
- Total Time50m
- Prep Time15 m
BookmarkAdd To CollectionPlanning to make a Christmas cake at home but confused about the ingredients and method? Then we have curated a delicious Dry Fruit Cake, which you can make at home and enjoy with your loved ones. Unlike other classic cake recipes, this one is soft, moist and loaded with nuts and dry fruits, which make it a blissful treat. Especially, if you are planning a high tea or a brunch or want to enjoy it warm after a lavish buffet. This mild spiced cake is great for winter feasts and goes well with Coffee, Tea or warm drinks. If you are fond of spices then you can add in some cinnamon and allspice, this will add a mild flavorful touch to the cake. To make this simple cake you need all-purpose flour, mixed dry fruits, eggs, milk, butter with some granulated sugar. It has a hint of nutmeg that makes the whole experience an exciting one. To make it more creamy make sure you whisk the sugar and butter, till it turns foamy and creamy.
You can also store and enjoy this cake anytime. So, if you haven’t made up your mind for what kind of cake you would be making for this Christmas? Then, here is the recipe of Dry Fruit Cake which is super-amazing in taste and easy-to-make as well. Also, if you are a first-time baker, then this cake recipe is a must-try for you! Do try it and let us know your feedback in the comment box.
Ingredients of Dry Fruit Cake
4 Servings1 Serving2 Servings3 Servings4 Servings5 Servings6 Servings7 Servings8 Servings9 Servings10 Servings11 Servings12 Servings13 Servings14 Servings15 Servings16 Servings17 Servings18 Servings19 Servings20 Servings
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 dashes nutmeg powder
- 2 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon condensed milk
- 1 Pinch kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup mixed dry fruits
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
How to make Dry Fruit Cake
- Step 1 Soak dry fruitsTo begin with this simple cake recipe, chop mixed dry fruits (pineapple, raisins, cherries, orange peel and citron along with black currant). Soak these in warm milk for 30 minutes. Then strain the milk and use it for the batter. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 135 degrees Celsius.
- Step 2 Whisk sugar and butterTake a large bowl and add butter and sugar along with vanilla essence, whisk this mixture till it turns creamy. Then crack open the eggs and whisk until it turns foamy and creamy. Add dry fruit milk to the batter along with condensed milk
- Step 3 Add dry ingredientsTake a sieve and add flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix it with the wet ingredients and whisk it all together. Then add in the soaked dry fruits. Whisk it and pour the batter into the baking tin. Garnish with flaked almonds.
- Step 4 Bake the cake to perfectionBake the cake for 35 to 45 minutes until the cake turns golden in colour. Insert a toothpick and check the cake. Once the cake is ready. Serve it hot with coffee or hot chocolate.
DRIED FRUITS CAKE | DRIED FRUITS CAKE RECIPE | DRY FRUIT CAKE
Dried fruits cake recipe with step by step pictures. Soft and buttery cake made using dried fruits, flour, eggs, oil, milk powder. You will love my whole wheat fruit and nuts cake.
DRIED FRUITS CAKE RECIPE
Soft christmas special cake made using dried fruits and nuts to create this snack sized cake. The cake itself is super soft and fluffy with lots of dried fruits and nuts in them.
ABOUT DRIED FRUITS CAKE
Dried fruit cake is made using flour, sugar, eggs, oil, milk powder and dried fruits. The cake uses oil instead of butter which creates perfect crumb and moist texture in the cake. Because of the addition of variety of dried fruits and nuts added in the cake it makes it super fragrant.
This type of fruit cakes are baked during christmas season. Since dried fruits and nuts are available abundant during this time.
The cake is perfect to gift during this time of the year. Individually wrapped dried fruits cake makes a great gift ideas for christmas.
DRIED FRUITS CAKE INGREDIENTS FOR CHRISTMAS
Plain Flour – all purpose flour is used in making this cake. It makes the cake soft and tender. You could use entirely wheat flour or a mixture of half plain flour and half whole wheat flour. I am sure the cake texture will be good either way.
Milk powder – I recommend using milk powder in the cake. Milk powder adds the proper texture to the cake and make it tasty.
Dried fruits and nuts – You can use a mixture of any nuts or dried fruits as you prefer. I recommend using raisins, dates, tutti fruity and cashews for best taste.
Eggs- eggs are used in this cake. You can skip eggs and use extra ¼ cup of yogurt instead of eggs.
Oil – I used refined oil in my cakes. You could use any flavourless oil like vegetable oil or canola oil. Melted butter can be used in this cake as well.
Dairy – Milk and curd can be used to create proper perfect texture in the cake.
HOW TO MAKE DRIED FRUITS CAKE
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Line a 20 cm cake pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Take flour, baking soda, baking powder, milk powder in a bowl and mix well. Add dried fruits and nuts and mix well. Set aside.
- Take another bowl, add in eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add in yogurt, milk, oil and mix well.
- Now add in the dry ingredients and fold gently.
- Spoon this into the prepared pan and bake for 40 to 50 mins.
- Remove and cool completely.
- Un mould, slice and serve.
DRIED FRUITS CAKE | DRIED FRUITS CAKE RECIPE | DRY FRUIT CAKE
Dried Fruits Cake recipe with step by step pictures. This delicious cake is made using flour, sugar, eggs, milk powder and dried fruits and nuts.
5 from 1 vote
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 45 mins
Total Time 1 hr
Cuisine American, British
Servings 8 servings
Calories 376 kcal
- ▢13/4 cup All Purpose Flour | Maida (210 grams)
- ▢1 cup Sugar (200 grams)
- ▢¾ cup Milk Powder (60 grams)
- ▢1 cup Mixed Dried Fruits & Nuts (200 grams)
- ▢1 tsp Baking Soda | Cooking Soda
- ▢2 tsp Baking Powder
- ▢½ cup Milk (120 ml)
- ▢¼ cup Curd | Yogurt (60 ml)
- ▢½ cup Vegetable Oil (120 ml)
- ▢2 large Eggs
- ▢2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ▢Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Line a 20 cm cake pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- ▢Take flour, baking soda, baking powder, milk powder in a bowl and mix well. Add dried fruits and nuts and mix well. Set aside.
- ▢Take another bowl, add in eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and mix well.
- ▢Add in yogurt, milk, oil and mix well.
- ▢Now add in the dry ingredients and fold gently.
- ▢Spoon this into the prepared pan and bake for 40 to 50 mins.
- ▢Remove and cool completely.
- ▢Un mould, slice and serve.
- I used tutti fruity, raisins, dates, kishmish, almonds, cashews. You can use any mixture of dried fruits.
- If you are using a round cake pan or smaller size cake pan. The baking time will vary.
- Instead of oil you can use melted butter.
Dried Fruits Cake | Dried Fruits Cake Recipe | Dry Fruit Cake
Amount Per Serving (1 servings)
Calories 376 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g19%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Vitamin A 212IU4%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Christmas Dry Fruit Cake Recipe
How to make Christmas Dry Fruit Cake
About Christmas Dry Fruit Cake Recipe: Bursting with the flavour of dry fruits, soaked in brandy, the traditional christmas cake takes a bit of effort but each delicious bite makes it worth your while.
- Total Cook Time4 hrs 30 mins
- Prep Time15 mins
- Cook Time4 hrs 15 mins
- Recipe Servings8
Ingredients of Christmas Dry Fruit Cake
- 2 Tbsp butter (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp all spice powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups currants; golden raisins; dark raisins (each)
- 1 1/2 cups soft dried figs, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dates (pitted), chopped
- 1 cup prunes (stoned dried), chopped
- 1 3/4 cups apricots (dried), chopped
- 3/4 cup almonds (chopped), blanched
- 10 tbsp brandy
- 2 tsp instant espresso (mixed with 1 Tbsp water)
How to Make Christmas Dry Fruit Cake
Preheat the oven to 300°F. Grease a round 9- or 10-inch cake pan, and line bottom and sides with several layers of waxed paper.
In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on high, beat the butter and sugar until it looks thick and creamy.
Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition.
Sift together the flour, salt, and spices, then fold into the creamed mixture.
Add the fruit, almonds, 2/3 cup brandy, and espresso, folding in well.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan.
Place the pan in the center of the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Reduce the temperature to 275°F and bake for 3 1/2 hours.
Remove the pan from the oven, cover it with a thickish cloth so that the cake will cool slowly.
When the cake is cool, prick the top and sprinkle some brandy.
Wrap in waxed paper and store in an airtight container. Keep in a cool place for up to 3 months.
Super Moist Fruit Cake Recipe
Super moist fruit cake recipe will help you make soft and moist fruit cake in an easy method.
This is one of the simplest and easiest version of making a traditional fruit cake.
In this fruit cake recipe, we boil the dried fruits in liquid which will make the raisins and dried fruits soft and plumpy and thus the cake turns out deliciously moist.
The method of making this super soft fruit cake is one of the least messy ways that we can a fruit cake.
No special equipments are required to make this cake and the cool thing is that we will need a sauce pan and a wooden spoon as the major tools to make this fruit cake.
Why You will Love This Super Moist Fruit Cake Recipe
- This fruit cake is full of Christmas aroma and is packed with juicy plums, raisins and lots of dry fruits.
- One of the easiest and quickest moist fruit cake recipe ever
- You will need only a saucepan,a bowl and a spatula to make this easy boiled fruit cake.
- Plain flour: 228g or 1 and 3/4 cups(loosely packed)
- Mixed spice: 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder:1 tsp
- Baking powder:1 tsp
- Salt:1/2 tsp
- Eggs (medium): 3
- Vanilla Extract (optional):1 tsp
- Soft dark or light brown sugar: 100g or 1/2 cup
- Mollasses /if you don’t have molasses you can use brown sugar : 3 tbsp
- Butter: 226g or 2 sticks or 1 cup
- Dried mixed fruit: 600-700g(you can use dry fruits of your choice and can choose candied peels or glazed cherries or nuts according to your preference)
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Zest of 1Orange
- Water: 180ml or 3/4 cup
All Spices” I have used is powdered nutmeg, cardamom, cloves,dry ginger.
Dried fruits I used in this recipe;
Prunes or dry plumes:175-200 g
Getting everything ready for making the best fruit cake
- Lightly grease a 7 inch or 8 inch cake tin with some butter/oil and neatly line with greaseproof paper (double thickness).The pan I used in the video is 7 inch pan.
- Chop the nuts and dried fruits into a large clean bowl .You can use a prepared dried fruit mixture available in most supermarkets, or blend your own to create an individual cake, balance the mixture to your preferences (I love more raisins, cranberries,prunes and less chopped dates in mine).
- Grate the rind of lemon and orange and keep it aside.
- Sift the flour ,baking powder, mix spices, zest of orange and lemon and salt into another bowl.
- Pre-heat oven to 320 F 160°C .
How to make moist fruit cake
We can make moist fruit cake in 3 simple steps.
Step 1.Boil the dry fruits
In a medium saucepan, combine the butter with the raisins, cranberries, brown sugar,molasses and water and bring to a boil.
Simmer over moderately high heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from the heat and let stand for 45 minutes or until it is cool.
Step 2.Add all the rest of ingredients
Add the eggs (lightly beaten) and vanilla extract (optional) and the nuts.
Add in the flour mix which is Flour+Baking powder+Salt+Ground spices+Zest of orange and lemon.I didn’t add the spices and the zest of lemon and orange into the boil mix because we need to preserve the fresh smell of those spices and that of lemon and orange.
The taste of a fruit cake is mostly the aroma of that cake
Mix everything together, just until everything is well incorporated.
Step 3.Bake the boiled fruit cake
Transfer the batter into the prepared pan.7 inch pan / 8 inch pan will work.
Bake in the center of the oven @ 320F for about 75-90 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Large baking tray (8 inch) will take slightly less baking time.
Let the cake cool completely.
Unmold the cake and transfer to a serving platter.
This fruit cake is best to serve the next day.The flavor and texture of cake improves a lot with that time.
The cake may seem buttery and crumbly and less flavorful if we cut it immediately it is cooled.
This last minute fruit cake is so flavorful and has a very soft and moist texture even though it is a fully packed dense fruitcake.
It is not a necessary thing to season this fruit cake before serving.But it’s all your preference and if you want to age or season the fruitcake, you can do it so.In that case, you need to make this fruit cake, in advance so that you have enough days to feed the fruit cake with alcohol.