This Easy Apple Crumble recipe is simple, easy, and delicious. I generally make this crumble when cooking for one or two as it’s just as easy to increase the quantities of the ingredients if you want more than a small crumble. If you want to serve 4-6 people rather than just 2 then double the quantity of each ingredient and increase the amount of cooking time by 10 minutes if using a deep dish pie plate or 20 minutes if using a standard pie plate.
Easy Apple Crumble Recipe
This easy Apple Crumble recipe is true comfort food with sweet caramelized apple filling and crunchy cinnamon topping. Total crowd pleaser and ready in under an hour!
Why This Recipe Works
Everyone loves a warm apple pie, but sometimes you just want something a little less time consuming. Something like this rustic apple crumble.
I recently shared my love of crumbles with this Blueberry Lime Crumble and Apple Cranberry Crumble.
But before we talk about variations, let’s get to the real deal.
Today’s Apple Crumble is ready in under an hour making it the perfect dessert to pop in the oven while enjoying dinner.
When choosing the perfect apple crumble recipe, this recipe is best because:
- Apple stays soft, but not watery.
- Not too sweet, but not dry either.
- Ready in under in hour (less time than eating dinner and doing dishes).
4 large Golden Delicious apples (about 3 pounds)
1/4 cup sugar
1 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup walnuts or pecans, roughly chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch fine salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces
Vanilla ice cream, for serving, optional
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Peel, core, and slice apples into 1/4-inch slices. Place apples in a large mixing bowl and toss with sugar, lemon juice, flour, and cinnamon. Pour into a lightly greased 9 by 13-inch baking dish, and spread out into an even layer. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix together the nuts, flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, and salt for the topping. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, gently work in the cold butter until pea-sized lumps are formed.
- Top apples evenly with mixture and bake until apples are bubbly and topping is golden brown, about 45 minutes, rotating once halfway through cooking.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.
Can Apple Crumble be made in advance?
Absolutely! To make ahead, just assemble, cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to bake (up to 24 hours).
Can you freeze Apple Crumble?
I don’t recommend freezing a crumble, as I haven’t seen good success. The filling tends to get too watery, and the topping doesn’t have a good crunch.
What is the difference between apple crisp and apple crumble?
A crisp is a fruit dessert topped with a crunchy layer of ingredients. A crumble is more of a streusel combination of flour, oats, sugars, and butter.