Easy Healthy Mexican Recipes are usually always a hit, especially with salsa! There’s something about Mexican food that I absolutely love. The festive and zesty flavors, the fresh ingredients, the unique combination of spices….I could go on and on. My husband has become more adventurous in the kitchen over the last few years. He’s made tacos, burritos, fajitas, quesadillas, chili rellenos and we even tried a tamale for Christmas one year.
Healthy Mexican recipes
Discover delicious and nutritious Mexican-inspired recipes, including fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, tostadas, burritos, chilli, soups, stews and dips.
- A star rating of 4.8 out of 5.53 ratingsThis healthy burrito bowl is chock full of veggies and greens, perfect for a filling lunch. This is one vegetarian meal that tastes just as good as it looks
- Vegetarian enchiladasA star rating of 4.5 out of 5.228 ratingsPack flavour into your meal with these easy veggie enchiladas that are filled with nutritious ingredients. This comforting, cheesy dish is the perfect crowd-pleasing family dinner
- Tomato penne with avocadoA star rating of 4.3 out of 5.156 ratingsGet all five of your 5-a-day in this mildly spiced, healthy pasta dish. It’s rich in iron, fibre and vitamin C as well as being low-fat and low-calorie
- Spicy beef taco bowlA star rating of 0 out of 5.0 ratingsGet all five of your five-a-day in this Mexican-inspired spicy beef taco bowl. Full of textures and flavours, it can be partly prepped ahead
- Chipotle chickenA star rating of 4.4 out of 5.38 ratingsKeep a jar of smoky chipotle chilli paste in your cupboard, to add a kick to a healthy chicken stew
- Chicken & sweetcorn tacosA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.28 ratingsServe up these healthy chicken and sweetcorn tacos for an easy midweek meal that’s full of flavour. You’ll also have leftovers to make chicken and sweetcorn wraps for lunch tomorrow
- Easy vegan tacosA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.19 ratingsMake these tasty vegan tacos with a smoky-sweet salsa and pack in all of your 5-a-day in one meal. Kiwi brings a moreish, fruity dimension to the salsa
- Mixed-bean chilli with wedgesA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.142 ratingsA warming bowl of meat-free comfort food. Make extra for the freezer
- Barbecued chicken fajita skewersA star rating of 4 out of 5.12 ratingsGet the kids in the kitchen to prepare this easy BBQ chicken recipe, then assemble together with creamy guacamole on tortilla wraps
- Black-eyed bean mole with salsaA star rating of 3.5 out of 5.21 ratingsTry this healthy Mexican dish as a quick and easy low-calorie lunch that counts as three of your 5-a-day. The beans are a great source of protein and fibre
- Turkey enchiladasA star rating of 4.4 out of 5.72 ratingsFill flour tortillas with lean turkey mince in a rich tomato sauce, then top with cheese and bake for a family friendly Mexican dinner
- Mexican spiced tomato riceA star rating of 3.7 out of 5.12 ratingsTry using this spicy, Mexican-style rice in our Brazil nut burritos for lunch or dinner. With a spike of chilli heat, it’s proof that comfort food needn’t be bland
- Breakfast burritoA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.35 ratingsMake a nutritious cocoon for breakfast ingredients with a wholemeal wrap. We’ve included protein-rich eggs and avocado to add good fats to this burrito
- Mexican corn salsaA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.3 ratingsThis classic corn salsa is a simple Mexican recipe you can prep in 20 minutes. Leave to marinate before serving to intensify the vibrant flavours
- Grilled salmon tacos with chipotle lime yogurtA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.28 ratingsGrill healthy fish with chipotle spice then serve with cabbage salad, coriander and chilli in soft tortillas
- Mexican bean soup with guacamoleA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.120 ratingsThis warming, spiced vegetarian soup packs in goodness and is filling too. The quick-to-assemble guacamole topping tastes as good as it looks
- Spiced black bean & chicken soup with kaleA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.44 ratingsUse up leftover roast or ready-cooked chicken in this healthy and warming soup, spiced with cumin and chilli
- Turkey tortilla pieA star rating of 4.3 out of 5.40 ratingsTop a chilli con carne with snipped tortilla wraps for this healthy one-pot that fuses nachos with enchiladas
- Spicy seafood stew with tomatoes & limeA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.34 ratingsJohn Torode’s Mexican-inspired one-pot casserole is packed with shellfish, white fish and plenty of chilli
- Healthy chilliA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.61 ratingsUse chunks of stewing beef in this healthy chilli con carne for a robust and filling dish. Serve with rice and coriander
- Spicy chilli bean soupA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.45 ratingsThere’s minimal prep time to make this hearty vegetarian stew, which works just as well as an easy dinner or packed in a flask for lunch
- Chipotle black bean soup with lime-pickled onionsA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.19 ratingsUse storecupboard pulses in this healthy, Mexican-inspired soup – freshen it up with sweet onions, coriander and soured cream
- Mexican chicken & wild rice soupA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.13 ratingsA dish with added feelgood factor – this vitamin C filled soup is the ideal after-work pick-me-up
- Black bean burritosA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.22 ratingsOur easy black bean burritos are nutritious and full of smoky chipotle flavour. These energy-boosting Mexican wraps are perfect fitness fodder.
Healthy Mexican-Inspired Recipes for Weeknights
Make a delicious meal at home with these Mexican-inspired recipes. These recipes use ingredients typically found in Mexican cuisine including beans, rice, salsa and avocado to create a flavorful and mouth-watering spread. Make recipes like Ceviche-Stuffed Avocados, Fish Tacos with Avocado-Lime Crema and Easy Fiesta Beans for a complete and filling dinner.
1 of 29
Rather than serving this easy mock shrimp ceviche with chips or tortillas, cut some carbs and pile the citrusy seafood in fresh avocado “bowls” for a fun and healthy presentation.
2 of 29
Huevos Rancheros Verdes
Huevos rancheros or “ranch eggs” is a classic Mexican dish that is great for a quick dinner. Traditionally, it’s made with a red tomato-based sauce. Here we use tart and tangy green salsa instead. Serve with: brown rice and slices of avocado.
3 of 29
Chicken with Quick Mole Sauce
Rich, dark and delicious, mole is a signature sauce in Mexican cooking. There are many variations, but the basic ingredients include plenty of chiles and nuts along with a touch of chocolate to tame the heat of the chiles. Traditional recipes can take several hours to prepare–this quick version takes a few shortcuts by using chili powder, nut butter and chocolate chips. Serve with rice and a medley of sautéed zucchini, pepper and onion.
4 of 29
Yucatan Lemon Soup
Although it’s traditionally made with limes (and you could certainly make it that way), Meyer lemons add a gentler, subtle twist to this classic Mexican soup with shrimp, garlic and lots of fresh cilantro. Meyer lemons are usually available only during the winter months; they are rounder and smoother than common lemons. Serve as a light entree with a big salad or as a special starter.
5 of 29
Quick Shrimp Enchilada Bake
Shrimp enchiladas offer a taste of coastal Mexican cuisine but some versions contain so much cheese, butter and sour cream that they can pack a whopping 50 grams of fat per serving. Our version has vibrant flavor and only half the calories and 6 grams of fat per serving, plus we use precooked peeled shrimp so you can get the dish on your table fast enough for a weeknight supper. The addition of refried beans helps makes these enchiladas an excellent source of fiber as well.
6 of 29
Fish Tacos with Avocado-Lime Crema
If battering and frying fish sounds messy, frozen fish sticks are your fish taco savior in this healthy dinner recipe. Use them for a quick, kid-friendly dinner or try popcorn shrimp. Serve with your favorite salsa and black beans on the side.
7 of 29
Guacamole-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
A cousin of chile rellenos, these roasted stuffed poblano peppers are filled with guacamole and shredded lettuce. Serve this healthy Mexican recipe as a light lunch or go all out and serve it as a side dish with tacos or enchiladas for dinner.
8 of 29
Mini Chile Relleno Casseroles
Everyone gets an individual portion with this vegetarian, Tex-Mex mini casserole. A normal-size casserole like this would take close to an hour to bake–these are ready in half the time. Heatproof ramekins are a cook’s best friend–we use them all the time to hold ingredients while cooking. You can buy them at most grocery stores.
9 of 29
Easy Fiesta Beans
An easy, tasty way to jazz up canned refried and pinto beans for the perfect side to accompany any Tex-Mex meal. Opt for fat-free refried beans and no-salt-added pinto beans to keep this dish as healthy as possible.
10 of 29
Coctel de Camarones
This classic Mexican shrimp cocktail is usually served as a starter, but makes a quick, refreshing main dish on a busy night. Add some of your favorite hot sauce for extra kick. You can eat it immediately or chill it for up to 4 hours if you prefer it colder. Serve with: Warm corn tortillas or cheese quesadillas and your favorite hot sauce.
Healthy Mexican Recipes
1) Shrimp Ceviche
One of my most popular Mexican recipes on the blog – this Mexican Shrimp Ceviche is made with accessible ingredients that can be made with frozen shrimp if you don’t have fresh near by!
It’s low-fat, gluten-free and has incredible flavor!
2) Sopa De Verduras
Sopa De Verduras is one of my favorites because it’s so healthy and delicious! Use whatever vegetables you have at hand but I do recommend you incorporate most of them. I know you’re going to love this vegetable soup!
3) Lentejas (Mexican Lentil Soup)
Sopa De Lentejas is a popular Mexican soup that is healthy, delicious and ready in 30 minutes or less. It’s full of flavor! You can’t go wrong with a big warm bowl of lentil soup.
4) Calabacitas (Mexican Style Zucchini)
Calabacitas is a delicious and healthy side dish recipe, perfect for any meal! It just might be the Best Healthy Calabacitas Recipe I’ve ever had. This side dish is good enough to eat on its own, but it pairs well with other Mexican recipes.
Loaded with vitamins, low-fat, gluten-free, plant-based, vegetarian and vegan adaptable.
5) Shrimp Aguachile
Aguachile is closely related to shrimp and fish ceviche and if you like sushi or poke bowls, I guarantee you will love this healthy & fresh recipe! Make it as an appetizer or the main meal
It’s fat-free, gluten-free, easy and quick to make!