Dog weight gain is an important issue to dog owners. This blog will provide you with the tools you need to help your dog gain weight, including nutrition and supplements information, canine obesity treatment options and product reviews.
Food For Dogs To Gain Weight
Dogs are a lot like people when it comes to body weight – they are more likely to become overweight than underweight. Nevertheless, there are several conditions and circumstances that can leave a pup in need of some surplus calories.
Fortunately, there are a variety of dog foods and supplemental products available that can help you accomplish this goal of reaching a healthy weight!
We’ll share a few of our favorite weight gain dog food recipes below, explain some of the most important things to look for when making your choice, and explain how to put weight on a dog safely.
Just be sure that you work in conjunction with your veterinarian, to ensure you have remedied the underlying problem which caused your dog to become underweight, and that your pooch gains weight in a steady, healthy manner.
Read our full post on how to pick out food to fill out Fido, or check out our quick picks below:
Best Dog Foods and Supplements for Weight Gain: Quick Picks
1 Bully Max High Performance Super Premium Dog Food [Best Overall Dog Food for Weight Gain]: With a whopping 535 Calories per cup, this food will help you pack some pounds on your pooch quickly and easily.
2 Purina Pro Plan Sport Dog Food [Most Affordable Dog Food for Weight Gain]: Despite being very affordably priced, this food will provide your pup with a ton of protein and calories.
3 MVP K9 Formula Mass [Best Dog Supplement for Weight Gain]: A great option for owners who want to bulk up their pooch without switching foods.
The Best Dog Foods For Weight Gain
Bully Max High Performance Super Premium Dog Food
A protein-packed, grain-inclusive food formulated with probiotics.
- 535 Calories per cup
- 33% protein content
- 22% fat content
- Contains no corn, wheat, or soy
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Plain Beet Pulp…
- Bullymax is the most protein-rich option among the foods we recommend for weight gain
- Includes probiotics to help promote proper digestion
- Unlike some other super-high protein dog foods, this is a grain-inclusive recipe
- We’d prefer if the food contained a whole protein at the top of the ingredient list
- This recipe contains no produce aside from kelp
- This food is fairly expensive
2. Elite K9 Maximum Bully All Stages Dog Food
Elite K9 Maximum Bully All Stages Dog Food is a chicken-and-pork dog food designed to deliver more protein and fat per bite than most other foods.BEST DOG FOOD FOR WEIGHT GAIN (RUNNER UP)
Elite K9 Maximum Bully All Stages Dog Food
A high-calorie dog food that’s packed with calories, protein, and fat.
- 481 Calories per cup
- Multi-protein recipe that most dogs find palatable
- 32% protein content
- 22% fat content
Chicken meal, pork meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), white rice, whole barley…
- This recipe contains a ton of protein, fat and calories to help bulk up your pooch
- We like the inclusion of antioxidant-rich produce and probiotics
- Despite being a low-carb recipe, this food is grain-inclusive
- Though packed with protein, this food doesn’t contain any whole animal meats
- Foods with multiple protein sources are a bad choice for dogs with food allergies
DON’T CONFUSE MAXIMUM BULLY WITH BULLY MAX
Do not confuse “Maximum Bully” with “Bully Max.” Despite their similar names, they are entirely different products.
3. Nature’s Logic Dry Dog Food
Nature’s Logic Chicken-Flavored Dry Dog Food is a nutritious, premium-ingredient dog food, coated in a nutrient-rich mix of digestive enzymes for bulking up your pup.HIGHEST PROTEIN CONTENT IN A DOG FOOD FOR WEIGHT-GAIN
Nature’s Logic Dry Dog Food
A protein-packed, innovative dog food featuring non-traditional ingredients.
- 417 Calories per cup
- 36% protein
- 15% fat content
- Contains probiotics to aid digestion
Chicken Meal, Millet, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Pumpkin Seed, Yeast Culture…
- This recipe has more protein per cup than any other option discussed here
- Features a number of antioxidant-rich fruits and veggies
- Formulated with probiotics to support proper digestion
- Though packed with protein, this recipe’s caloric value isn’t especially high
- Chicken meal is a valuable ingredient, but no whole proteins are included
- The food’s unusual ingredients may cause tummy troubles for some pets
4. Purina Pro Plan Sport Dog Food
Although it isn’t specifically formulated as a weight-gain formula, Purina Pro Plan Sport Formula is a high-calorie dog food for weight gain that is packed with flavor and available at a competitive price point.
If you can’t find this formula near you, Purina Pro Plan Large Breed may be an alternative option, as large breed dog foods and large breed puppy food also tend to be higher calorie.BEST BUDGET-FRIENDLY DOG FOOD FOR WEIGHT GAIN
Purina Pro Plan Sport Dog Food
An affordable dog food with more calories and protein than many other options.
- 475 Calories per cup
- 30% protein
- 20% fat
- Contains natural sources of glucosamine
Chicken, Corn Gluten Meal, Brewer’s Rice, Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols (Form of Vitamin E)…
- Very reasonably priced, given its quality
- Glucosamine-rich ingredients may help prevent joint issues.
- Most dogs seemed to really like the taste of this food (which makes it easier to get your dog to consume more calories)
- Includes a variety of low-quality ingredients, such as corn gluten meal and brewer’s rice
- Though unlikely to sicken your pet, garlic oil is an ingredient many owners like to avoid
- Contains no probiotics or antioxidant-rich produce
5. Crave Grain-Free Dog Food
Crave Grain-Free Dog Food is a protein-packed dry dog food for weight gain that may help your pup pack on a few extra pounds. Made with several different animal-based protein sources, this food definitely deserves consideration from owners looking for a high-calorie dog food.BEST MULTI-PROTEIN DOG FOOD FOR WEIGHT GAIN
Crave Grain-Free Dog Food
A US-made, high-calorie, grain-free dog food with a ton of protein.
- 443 Calories per cup
- 34% protein
- 17% fat
- Manufactured in the USA
Salmon, Chicken Meal, Chickpeas, Split Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols)…
- This recipe has the second-highest protein content of any food discussed here
- Most dogs love the taste of this meaty, multi-protein recipe
- Several of the food’s vegetable-based ingredients (such as chickpeas) are also high in protein content
- Multi-protein recipes are not ideal for dogs with food allergies
- We’d prefer if this recipe contained more antioxidant-rich produce
- Contains no probiotics.