The global pandemic has shown more importance on eating food to increase immunity in babies. It is now very important that we strengthen our immune system this type of diet. The earlier the better is why thesuperhealthy.com is giving tips on different types of food to increase immunity in babies.
Here is what you should know about your baby’s immunity and food to increase immunity in infants. Babies need their immunity to be boosted to help fight against illnesses and diseases. Immunity is the ability to resist a particular infection or disease by the action of specific antibodies or sensitized white blood cells. The immune system is designed to protect and fight against diseases and infections and resist the entry of different types of foreign bodies like bacteria, viruses, toxic substances, etc. It is a fact that children tend to fall sick easily as they are more susceptible to diseases and infection. This is because their immune system is not as strong as the adults since it is still developing. The immune system of a child does not fully develop until about 8-9 years of age. That is why it is important to know the right foods to increase immunity in child naturally to keep them very healthy.
Below is a list of foods to increase immunity in child naturally…
- BREAST MILK: As your baby’s first food, breast milk is very important to increase immunity naturally. Breastmilk contains millions of live cells of which include immune-boosting white blood cells and various proteins that activate the immune system. Colostrum, a yellow fluid that flows from the breast during the first few days after childbirth is especially rich in disease-fighting antibodies. The oligosaccharides (carbohydrates) also contained in breast milk acts as prebiotics feeding good bacteria in your baby’s gut which helps to improve overall gut health and healthy gut is an important part of a healthy immune system. They also prevent infections from entering the bloodstream and reduce the risk of brain inflammation. Breast milk also contains antibodies that protect your baby against disease and infections by destroying bacteria. There are also a whole lot of other benefits derived from breast milk which generally leads to healthy development. This is why breast milk is one of the very important foods to increase immunity in child naturally and must be added to your baby’s diet.
- SPINACH: Spinach is one of the most nutritious vegetables which is rich in iron and vitamin C. It is low in calories and rich in nutrients like carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, and minerals. It also contains beta-carotene and antioxidants that can help your baby’s body to fight against infections. Spinach is essential for blood production and keeping blood impurities at bay. It should be included in your child’s food to increase immunity in infants as it provides essential nutrients to grow and to maintain healthy immunity.
- EGGS: Eggs are delicious and are highly nutritious for your baby. They are another source of vitamins which are immunity boosters. They contain immune-boosting nutrients such as vitamin-B12, vitamin-A, and selenium. They also supply omega-3 fatty acids in the form of docosahexaenoic(DHA) which help to boost the immune system by enhancing the function of the immune cell. Eggs are of great benefit to your baby as they provide great nutrition.
- SWEET POTATOES: As part of your baby’s first solid food, sweet potatoes can be smashed and fed to your baby as they are nutrition food to increase immunity in babies. They are a good source of Vitamin A, thiamine, niacin, carotenoids, and vitamin B-5. They are high in beta-carotene which helps to increase the number of white blood cells and natural killer cells. They also contain fibers and antioxidants which promote gut health.
- HONEY: This is one of the foods to increase immunity in child naturally and Children love honey because of its sweetness. Honey has antibacterial and antiviral properties that can fight against diseases and boost your baby’s immune system. It also helps in improving gut health and contains antioxidants that protect against oxidative stress that can cause serious illness.
- ALMONDS: Almonds are highly nutritious as they contain Vitamin E, manganese, and antioxidants which improve natural killer cell activity and prevent cell damage. The almond skin has also been known to increase the production of white blood cells to help fight against diseases.
- BERRIES: Berries are good sources of vitamin C and phytochemicals found in fruits and vegetables which may work as antioxidants to prevent cell damage. Examples of berries are strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc.
- CITRUS FRUITS: Citrus fruits like oranges, tangerines, limes, grapefruits, contain vitamin C which helps to increase the production of white blood cells. These white blood cells fight and ward off infections and diseases. Therefore, citrus fruits are healthy food to increase immunity in babies.
- OATS: Oatmeal is packed with nutrients and should be given as one of your baby’s first solid foods. It contains a substance called beta-glucans, a component of fiber that activates the natural killer cells which are a part of the immune system.
- LEAFY VEGETABLES: This group of foods is low in calories. Nonetheless, most of them are packed with vitamins A and C that helps in building a child’s immunity. They are also rich in antioxidants and vitamins. The best ones to include in daily diet as food to increase immunity in babies are fruits like guava, oranges, onions, and pumpkin.
- AVOCADOS: Avocado fruit is very tasty and full of nutrients. It is a great choice of food to increase the immunity of six month’s baby. It contains antimicrobial properties and strengthens the immune system. It also contains antioxidant which neutralizes toxins that make their way into the baby’s body. It can be smashed and given to your baby.
- BANANA: Banana is an ideal fruit to give to your baby as it is packed with nutrients to boost immunity. It is rich in fiber, potassium, iron, calcium, folate, niacin, and Vitamin B-6.
- YOGURT: Yogurt contains vitamin D which increases the body’s natural defenses against diseases. The probiotics contained in yogurt helps to stimulate the immune system. You can add natural fruit juice to sweeten the yogurt given to your baby.
Been searching for food to increase immunity in babies? The above list is just right to give you the answers you have always wanted on foods to increase immunity in child naturally. Having a variety gives you an added advantage to giving your baby a healthy diet he should have. Other ways in which you can boost your child’s immunity include: boost sleep time, physical activity, and supplements such as zinc, vitamin D, fish oil, etc.