Healthy Fruit Smoothies
No matter how busy your mornings are, these quick and easy healthy smoothies are perfect to start your morning the right way!
START YOUR DAY WITH A HEALTHY SMOOTHIE
I love smoothies, because they are a quick way to get good nutrition when you are running around during a busy morning.
You can also make them head of time and freeze them!
Here are the ingredients for a few basic smoothies, but the best thing about making healthy smoothies is that you can add your own ingredients, and make your own creations with whatever you have!
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED TO MAKE HEALTHY SMOOTHIES?
Strawberry Banana Smoothie:
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 ripe small bananas, halved
3 cups strawberries, halved
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup ice cubes
½ cup water
1 cup green grapes
½ cup fresh pineapple, chunks
2 cups spinach, lightly packed
½ cup ice cubes
Peach Mango Smoothie:
1 ½ cup no-sugar-added peach nectar, chilled
2 cups mangoes, peeled, seeded and cut into cubes
1 cup peached, chunked
2 cups ice cubes
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY SMOOTHIES
1. Place ingredients into a blender.
2. Turn on blender starting on a low speed and slowly increase to high.
3. Blend for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the desired consistency.
CAN YOU FREEZE SMOOTHIES?
You can refrigerate smoothies for a couple of days, and freeze them for up to two months. The nutritional values are at their highest if freshly consumed.
Making smoothies ahead of time when you do your weekly meal prepping, and then freezing them, makes it easier to eat healthy during a hectic week.
HOW HEALTHY ARE SMOOTHIE BOWLS?
Just like smoothies, smoothie bowls are only as healthy as what you put into them!
Take one of your favorite healthy smoothie recipes, and then pour it in a bowl. Add yogurt or kefir to the smoothie base for added nutrients!
Top with fresh granola, nuts, chia seeds, flax seeds, and sliced fruit.
HOW CAN I INTEREST MY KIDS IN HEALTHY SMOOTHIES?
The biggest way to get kids on board with anything is to make it fun and involve them!
- Set up a smoothie bar: Let your kids help with selecting what ingredients go into the smoothies, and also choosing fun and healthy toppings, like chia seeds, flax meal, sliced almonds, and fresh fruit! They will be more likely to try it if it’s their creation!
- Play “smoothie shop”: On weekend mornings, or whenever you have time. Play smoothie shop with your kids! Let them take your order, and help make the smoothies as much as they are able to, by age.
- Ask for their help in the kitchen!: Kids are amazing helpers, especially in the kitchen! They are naturally curious, and love to spend time together. Nurture this, and show them all of your favorite healthy cooking tips!
- Work in your garden/ get groceries as a family: My daughter has always loved helping in the garden. It’s a great time to discuss our food and where it comes from! If you aren’t able to take your little ones to the grocery store, let them help you compile the grocery list.
- Read about fruits and veggies: There are tons of children’s books on about fruits, veggies, farming, and eating healthy!