Greek salad with watermelon is a dish that many don’t even know exists! This Persian watermelon salad is really something you have to taste to believe. It’s the perfect blend of cool and sweet. Not only was it a perfect complement to the feta in my Greek salad, but it also makes for perfect finger food when entertaining during the warm weather months.
Watermelon and feta salad is a delicious, refreshing salad using the nutrition gold that is watermelon. The combination of the salty feta cheese with the refreshing sweet watermelon is certainly an unusual yet mouthwatering combination! In this article you will learn how to make a Greek watermelon feta salad and learn more about the health benefits of watermelon.
Greek Salad With Watermelon
Greek Watermelon Feta Salad with Basil Vinaigrette is a straightforward and healthful dish. A delicious and visually appealing summer salad is made from sweet and juicy watermelon, fresh cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, salty olives, and feta cheese. With a splash of basil-infused balsamic vinaigrette and flaky sea salt, this quick and easy salad is completed. Sweet watermelon, salty feta cheese, and juicy tomatoes explode in your tongue with each bite. the salad equivalent of summer.
Here on HBH, I declare this summer to be the season of straightforward salads. I’ve been writing and developing new recipes for you all for the last six (nearly 7) years, but I’ve stayed away from dishes like today’s salad. Why? for the justifications I made up in my head. Because I worry too much and, if I’m being completely honest, I’m a little crazy.
I was worried that the simple recipes wouldn’t be considered “excellent” enough to share. Despite the fact that my family and I particularly appreciated the recipes… and ate regularly.
But as I’ve aged, the more I’ve come to understand what you folks are seeking. I’ve come to the conclusion that the majority of you are looking for straightforward dishes, like this watermelon salad and the corn spaghetti from the previous year. They emphasize the summer’s natural components. They are easy to make, nutritious, and most importantly, DELICIOUS.
In the end, I created a watermelon salad for the group. It’s quite easy to make, but it’s also very addictive, which is actually a good thing given how healthy this salad is.
The salad’s main ingredients, watermelon and tomatoes, are two of the season’s top produce stars. I am aware that June has only just begun. But when August approaches, I always feel like I’m behind the curve in terms of seasonal meals. And like I said yesterday, I’m currently over the moon about summer vegetables and am totally enjoying it.
Are you prepared to learn how to create this salad? You’ll adore it because it’s the simplest and easiest.
Get your first watermelon of the year and chop it into cubes first. Include cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, buttery olives, and a ton of feta cheese. It’s the salad, then. Pretty simple, yes?
Let’s discuss the basil vinaigrette now. It includes plenty of basil, fresh chives, black pepper, balsamic vinegar, and extra virgin oil of the highest quality. It’s actually my go-to vinaigrette for salads during the workweek. Balsamic vinegar and basil have always been two of my favorite flavors, so that’s simply what I usually use. To balance the sweet and salty qualities, it goes well with feta and watermelon.
Thus, this salad requires NO COOKING and is SO PRETTY AND DELICIOUS. And putting it together only takes a few minutes.
The ideal salad for summer!
It’s incredibly simple to create and delicious to eat this watermelon feta salad. Made with fragrant fresh herbs like mint and basil that are combined with lush blueberries, feta, crunchy cucumbers, and sweet and juicy watermelon. This quick and easy watermelon feta salad recipe is ideal for summer and can be made in about 30 minutes.
The ideal salad for the hot summer months when fresh fruit is in season is this cool watermelon salad.
This fruit salad is sweet, healthful, and simple to make. It’s not only incredibly bright and lovely to look at, but it’s also packed with minerals and antioxidants.
This healthy recipe is excellent for anybody wishing to add a little bit of flair to their next summer barbecue, outdoor picnic, or party because it is naturally gluten-free, vegetarian, low in calories, and low in carbs.
It definitely appeals to the masses!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS SALAD RECIPE
- Easy: This delicious fruit salad is perfectly easy to prepare! No need for cooking in a hot kitchen, just simply combine all the ingredients in the bowl and marvel over the flavors.
- Flavorful: What is there not to love about watermelon and blueberries? Fresh fruit paired with feta cheese and mint create the ultimate combination of savory, yet sweet.
- Perfect for meal prep: If you want to make a batch of this watermelon feta salad to last you a few days, then this is your recipe!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS SALAD
This is just a list of ingredients needs to make this watermelon feta salad. Full measurements are listed further down below.
- mini seedless watermelon, rind removed
- cucumbers, Persian or other types
- blueberries, fresh
- feta cheese, cubed
- fresh mint, chopped
- fresh basil, chopped
- lime, juice of one lime
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
HOW TO MAKE THIS WATERMELON SALAD WITH FETA
- Prepare the salad ingredients: Make sure to chop the cucumbers and cube the feta cheese and watermelon. Place in a large bowl.
- Combine ingredients: Next, add the lime juice, olive oil, and a generous sprinkle of salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Stir: Gently stir and serve immediately. Enjoy!
RECIPE NOTES AND TIPS
- You could use mozzarella or goat cheese in its place if you don’t like feta. whichever other crumbly cheese you like.
- Then completely eliminate the cheese to make this vegan.
- The leftovers should be placed in the refrigerator in an airtight container. The fruit salad can keep for three to four days in the refrigerator.
- Lemons can be substituted for the lime.
- Fresh herbs are preferred. But you can use dry if you don’t have any.
RECIPES TO SERVE WITH WATERMELON SALAD
This recipe will be great with some of my other recipes such as this BBQ salmon, garlic shrimp asparagus, or garlic roasted potatoes.
YIELD: 6 SERVINGS
EASY WATERMELON SALAD
Easy Watermelon Salad is a delicious addition to any summer meal. Perfect for backyard cookouts and holiday get togethers. Fresh watermelon, strawberries, and pineapple with feta cheese, mint and a simple lime dressing.
- PREP TIME10 minutes
- TOTAL TIME10 minutes
- 3 cups diced watermelon
- 2 cups quartered strawberries, tops removed
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint
- In a serving bowl, mix diced pineapple, strawberries, and watermelon.
- Mix the lime juice, salt, and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Mixture of watermelon should be drizzled over and coated.
- Add feta and mint on top.
- Serve right away.
Fruit should be combined, covered, and chilled if prepared ahead until ready to serve. Just before serving, drizzle with dressing and sprinkle feta and mint over top.
GREEK WATERMELON FETA SALAD
Greek watermelon feta salad is a cool, vegetarian summer salad that combines creamy feta cheese, cooling mint leaves, and sweet, crisp watermelon in a distinctive way. a fantastic side dish for barbecues.
Sometimes you find recipes with strange ingredient combinations that you can’t imagine eating together but end up liking.
One cuisine that comes to mind is the Greek watermelon salad with feta. A few of years ago, I had this salad, which would have never occurred to me to combine watermelon, onion, and feta.
But the marriage of savory, creamy feta cheese, sharp onion, and cooling mint leaves with sweet and crunchy watermelon has made it into one of my favorite summer salads.
WHAT GOS IN GREEK WATERMELON SALAD WITH FETA?
To make Greek style Watermelon salad, the following ingredients are needed:
- Pick a sweet, juicy variety of watermelon. Check out my watermelon lemonade post for instructions on how to choose the sweetest watermelon every time if you’d like to learn how to accomplish that.
- Persian or English cucumbers are preferred. Use whichever cucumber you have if you can’t find these two varieties, but be sure to peel it and remove the seeds before adding it to the salad.
- Use any variety of onion you like. The red onion I used.
- Use fresh basil or dill leaves in addition to fresh mint leaves.
- Lemon juice: Include lemon zest as well for added freshness.
- feta cheese in crumbles
- virgin extra olive oil
- the black peppercorns
HOW TO MAKE?
Making Greek watermelon salad is very easy. Just follow the steps below:
- Cut the cucumber and watermelon into slices of the same size. Watermelon seeds must be removed. It is not necessary to peel Persian or English cucumbers, but you should peel cucumbers with thick skin before adding them to the salad.
- Slice the onion very thin, then chop the mint leaves roughly.
- Combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl. To make a dressing, combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, cucumber, onion, and mint leaves. On top, drizzle the dressing. Well, toss.
- Finally, top with feta crumbles and devour.
STEP BY STEP PHOTO INSTRUCTIONS
CAN THIS SALAD BE MADE IN ADVANCE?
Because the watermelon will eventually start releasing a lot of water, I won’t advise cooking this watermelon feta salad in advance because it won’t taste as fresh and crunchy.
Everything can be kept prepared and cut. Make the dressing as well, but just combine everything when you’re ready to serve.
This salad should always be cold. The ideal method to create this salad is with cooled cucumber and watermelon. If not, you will need to wait a few hours to chill the salad after cooking it, and it tastes best when it is made right away.
It goes well as a side dish with any summertime entrée. It’s the ideal side dish for a BBQ.
RECIPE TIPS AND TRICKS
- This watermelon feta salad is made with chilled cucumber and watermelon.
- Avoid making it ahead of time since the watermelon will release a lot of water and lose its fresh flavor.
- Instead of mixing crumbled feta in with the other ingredients, top the salad with it to prevent the mixture from becoming overly creamy and watery.
- To achieve the finest results, use a very sweet watermelon in the salad. Add extra honey or another sweetness to the dressing if your watermelon isn’t sweet enough.
- Because the feta is also sweet, add the salt slowly.
Watermelon and Feta Salad
- Level: Easy
- Total: 20 min
- Active: 20 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- Nutrition Info
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1 small Fresno chile or jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 6 to 9 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (depending on how acidic you like your salad dressings)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely torn or finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 cups large diced red seedless watermelon
- 1/2 cup diced English cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup Greek feta cheese, crumbled
- In a glass container with a cover, combine the vinegar, Fresno, olive oil, and garlic. The mint is added after seasoning with salt and pepper. Shake vigorously to blend after covering the container. Place aside.
- Put the watermelon, cucumber, and scallions in a big bowl and serve. Toss ingredients together carefully after dressing with vinaigrette. On top, strew feta crumbles. Offer cold.
Health Benefits Of Watermelon
Since watermelon contains 90% water, eating it might help you stay hydrated during the summer. Its natural sugars can also sate a sweet tooth.
Antioxidants are also present in watermelon. These compounds can aid in the body’s elimination of molecules referred to as free radicals or reactive species. Free radicals are created by the body naturally during processes like metabolism. Smoking, air pollution, stress, and other environmental stressors can also cause them to form.
Oxidative stress can happen if the body has an excessive amount of free radicals. This may cause cell damage and result in a variety of illnesses, including cancer and heart disease.
Some free radicals can be eliminated by the body naturally, although dietary antioxidants aid in this process.
Here are a few ways that watermelon’s antioxidants and other nutrients may contribute to a person’s health.
- Asthma control
Some specialists think that the development of asthma is influenced by free radicals. Vitamin C and other antioxidants, which are found in the lungs, may lower the chance of developing asthma.
However, a diet high in vitamin C may provide some protection. Studies have not proven that taking vitamin C supplements can help prevent asthma.
12.5 milligrams (mg), or between 14% and 16% of a person’s daily requirements, of vitamin C are included in a cup of watermelon balls, which weigh about 154 grams (g).
In a 2012 study, researchers discovered that middle-aged patients with obesity and early hypertension had lower blood pressure in and around their ankles while using watermelon extract. Two of the antioxidants found in watermelon, L-citrulline and L-arginine, were proposed by the authors as potential candidates to enhance artery health.
Another antioxidant found in watermelon, lycopene, may help prevent heart disease. According to a 2017 review, it might accomplish this through lowering inflammation related to high-density lipoprotein (HDL), also known as “good” cholesterol.
Low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or “bad” cholesterol, may be managed with the aid of phytosterols, which are plant-based substances. Some recommendations call for 2 grams (g) of phytosterols per day. At 3.08 mg, 154 g of watermelon balls only supply a little quantity.
Although lowering LDL cholesterol may help prevent heart disease and high blood pressure, the precise effect of phytosterols on CVD is still unknown.