Grilling chicken with mustard is a fantastic way to add flavor to the dish. This method of preparation will inject the chicken with mustard, garlic and other wonderful flavors that make it taste great! Grilling chicken with mustard helps reduce the amount of fat in the chicken. It also adds a rich flavor to the meat, making your grilled chicken more flavorful.
- 1⁄2cup lemon juice
- 1⁄3cup Dijon mustard
- 2teaspoons basil
- 1teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2teaspoons lemon zest
- salt and pepper
- 4skinless chicken breast halves
- Mix together lemon juice, Dijon mustard and spices in a bowl.
- Pour over chicken in a shallow baking dish and turn to coat. Marinate in refrigerator covered for 2–4 hours.
- Grill on BBQ or in oven on broil.
Grilled Mustard Chicken
Two types of mustard, apple juice and white vinegar combine for a powerful marinade that renders the chicken tender and flavorful. Experiment with the type of mustard, such as hot mustard or honey Dijon, but leave the classic yellow kind for your hot dogs and hamburgers.
PREP TIME:0 hours 50 mins
TOTAL TIME:0 hours 50 mins
bone-in chicken pieces
medium Yellow Onion
medium Red Onion
- In a glass measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the mustards, apple juice, vinegar, oil and 1/4 tsp pepper. Divide the chicken, onions and mustard marinade between 2 large resealable bags. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to 8 hours.
- Heat grill to medium-low. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Grill the chicken, covered, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes.
- When the chicken has 20 minutes left to cook, remove the onions from the marinade and place on the grill (discard marinade). Grill the onions, turning occasionally, until tender and slightly charred, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken and onions to a platter. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Grilled Dijon Chicken (4 Ingredients!)
Grilled Dijon Chicken – made with just a few basic ingredients yet it’s perfectly vibrant and rich in flavor! Just what you need for a quick and easy summertime dinner.
Easy Chicken Recipe
Four ingredient recipes are some of my favorites! Life just happens and gets super busy sometimes and we need real life dinners.
Dinners that pack in the flavor, that are made up of inexpensive ingredients, and that are super fast.
This checks all the boxes. Who knew somethings so simple could be so good?
And if you want to sweeten it up a little add in a little bit of honey. Can’t go wrong with that flavor combo!
Four Ingredients Needed
- Chicken breasts: Use boneless skinless. Chicken thighs will work great too.
- Mayonnaise: This multi-purpose staple adds a delicious richness.
- Dijon mustard: This packs so much flavor. Perfect for minimalistic recipes.
- Garlic: Feel free to double this up for stronger garlic flavor.
- Salt and pepper is also highly recommended. Chicken is so bland without it.
- Parsley is optional for a nice pop of color and freshness.
How to Make Grilled Dijon Chicken
- Heat grill: Preheat a gas grill over medium-high heat, to about 425 degrees.
- Make basting sauce: In a small mixing bowl stir together dijon mustard, mayonnaise, garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Flatten chicken: Pound thicker portions of chicken with with a meat mallet to help even the thickness.
- Coat one side with sauce: Brush top side of chicken pieces with plenty of the mustard sauce.
- Place on grill, coat second side: Place on preheated grill, brush the uncoated side with mustard sauce.
- Cook through: Cover and grill until chicken registers 165 degrees in center of thickest portion, about 4 minutes per side.
- Optionally garnish: Sprinkle with parsley if using and serve warm.
- Work to use up all the sauce to coat the chicken.
- Check internal temperature of chicken with an instant read thermometer, chicken breasts dry quickly once you cook past 165 degrees.
- Let chicken rest a few minutes before serving to allow juices to evenly redistribute.
- Add a tablespoon or two of honey.
- Try it with other herbs like rosemary, thyme or Herbs de Provence.
- If you don’t own a grill try baking it in the oven.
- Double up the sauce, set half aside before basting the chicken to use as a dip.