If you are looking for ground beef for Tacos in slow cooker then this post if for you. I have provided a detailed recipe of how to prepare the ground beef for tacos in slow cooker.
Ground beef is great for taco seasoning, but most recipes are complicated in the kitchen. I’ve been cooking slow cooker tacos for years, and this post includes my favorite taco meat recipe, plus 7 other recipes I cook in my slow cooker.
SLOW COOKER GROUND BEEF TACOS
Make Taco Tuesday your favorite dinner of the week with this super easy and delicious ground beef taco recipe! Can be made in the Slow Cooker or Instant Pot!
If I have somehow given anyone the impression that dinner time around my house is always quiet with happy compliant kids eating every morsel on there plate, I guess I should paint a picture of what reality is around the table. Often times my kids like to negotiate. Something like, “If I eat just one more carrot can I be done? Do I really need to try those tomatoes? How about if I eat everything I get some chocolate?” I am sure it sounds familiar to you.
There is an exception to this banter. It’s called taco night. We often joke that it’s the quietest dinner night in our house. The kids are so happy with their food, they don’t make a peep. The plates are always clean, often there are seconds, sometimes thirds. It’s perfect really. I should just consider eating them every night.
I have a few different variations on tacos, but I love the simplicity and “easy button” of the slow cooker. My homeade taco seasoning is simple and you probably have everything in your pantry. I do like to add some chipotle powder (surprise surprise), but this is definitely optional. You can easily double or triple this recipe for taco seasoning and keep it in a jar to use for future taco nights.
This recipe is so dang easy that you may just be adding taco night as a regular dinner around your house too. I mix up the spices. I add ground beef, tomato paste, and onion to the slow cooker. I then add the spices and top with a little chicken broth. Done. Easy button. Dinner is ready in about 4-6 hours. Don’t forget all of the fix ins. Tacos are best served with tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, onion, sour cream, avocado, and I do love me some hot sauce and salsa.
Slow Cooker Ground Beef Tacos
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 4 hours
Total time: 4 hours 10 mins
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 lb Organic Grassfed ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 tbsp tomato paste
- For the Seasoning:
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chipotle powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- [b]For the Slow Cooker:[/b]
- Mix the ingredients for the taco seasoning in a small bowl.
- Add ground beef to your slow cooker.
- Top with onions and tomato paste.
- Mix in the Spices.
- Finally add in chicken broth and vinegar.
- Stir the mixture around to coat most of the meat.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low heat.
- Serve with your favorite tortillas, and any other taco toppings.
- [b]For your Instant Pot:[/b]
- Begin by selecting the saute function on your Instant Pot. Once pot is hot, add in a few tbsp of your favorite cooking oil (I use avocado), then toss in onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground beef to the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes more. Meat will be browned but doesn’t have to cook all the way. Select cancel.
- Mix together your spices in a small bowl, and toss in the slow cooker.
- Add broth, vinegar, and tomato paste. Secure the lid.
- Select the manual function and cook for 7 minutes. Use a quick release.
- Once steam has been released, open the lid. Stir and serve over taco shells or in a salad.
Crockpot Beef Tacos (Instant Pot directions)
The most tender and flavorful beef tacos, made right in the crockpot or Instant Pot! Simmering all day gives the taco meat an amazing texture!
Has school started back up where you are yet? Ours starts this week, so I’m definitely getting back into easy weeknight meal mode! Back to school generally comes with homework, reading assignments and extra curricular activities, which leaves verrrry little time to actually cook dinner, let alone sit down as a family.
Admittedly, beef tacos don’t exactly take a TON of time to make. BUT, there are two main reasons why I love to cook my taco meat in the slow cooker.
- It makes the lean beef incredibly tender
- All that slow simmering leads to really flavorful meat
Plus it frees you up to spend time charring your tortillas, chopping veggies, making guacamole, etc.
DO I NEED TO BROWN THE BEEF FIRST
I normally do. My favorite version of crockpot ground beef tacos (this one!) has sauteed onion, so I just add the beef to the skillet and give it a quick brown. But, I’ve cooked it without browning it first as well. It comes out very tender, but a tad on the drier side, so I like to stir in a little taco sauce or picante sauce before serving. Here’s how to do alter this recipe for a non-brown method:
- Add raw ground beef to crockpot, top with taco seasoning spices, tomato paste, diced green chiles, garlic, and onion. Use a wooden spoon to combine the best you can.
- Top with tomato sauce and salsa (increase from 1/2 cup to 1 cup). Stir, cover, and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or HIGH for 3 hours.
- When finished cooking, drain beef, break up with a fork or wooden spoon and return to crockpot. Stir in a bit of taco sauce, salsa, picante sauce, etc, and serve.
CAN I USE PRE-MADE TACO SEASONING
Absolutely! I love the flavor of homemade, but if you’re in a rush or don’t have all the spices on hand… packets come in handy! You’ll need 2 packages for this recipe.
WHAT CAN I MAKE WITH CROCKPOT TACO MEAT
Just about anything you’d like! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Taco salad – either in the shell, or over tortilla chips (or Doritos like in the photo above!)
- Soft tacos – char the tortillas for extra flavor!
- Crunchy tacos – the stand n stuff variety are my favorite!
- Taco pizza – use taco sauce as the “pizza sauce”, top with taco meat, beans if desired, and plenty of cheese. Bake and top with lettuce, tomatoes, olives, jalapenos, sour cream, etc!
- Taco stuffed baked potatoes – turn a regular baked potato into a taco by filling it with everything you’d love on a taco!
- Burritos – use a large flour tortilla and fill with taco meat, beans, cheese, etc.
WHAT OTHER MEATS CAN I USE FOR TACOS
I love to make this recipe using ground turkey for a lower-fat meal… and I promise you, no one will be able to tell the difference! Ground chicken would work as well.
DOES THIS GROUND BEEF TACO RECIPE FREEZE WELL
Yes it sure does! Cool it completely, then store in airtight containers in the freezer for 2-3 months. Thaw out overnight in the refrigerator, then reheat to serve.
As written, these tacos do have a little bit of a kick. To make them more mild, omit the diced green chiles and omit the cayenne pepper. Also, make sure you’re using mild salsa.
The next time you’re wanting a fabulous Taco Tuesday, give these Crockpot Ground Beef Tacos a try!
CROCK POT TACO MEAT
This Crock Pot Taco Meat has just 3 ingredients and makes the perfect base for all of your taco flavored recipes! Easy and so flavorful!
A SUPER FLAVORFUL MEAT FOR TACOS
If you are a taco fan like me, this Crock Pot Taco Meat is one staple that you need to have in your recipe arsenal. This recipe creates the perfect balance of flavors that works in all your recipes that require taco meat like Taco Crescent Ring or Dorito Taco Salad! With just 3 ingredients and almost no prep, this cooks up perfectly in your slow cooker with little to no effort. So, if you are looking for that perfect meat base, then you have to try my Crock Pot Taco Meat recipe!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING CROCK POT TACO MEAT:
- Homemade Taco Seasoning or store-bought taco seasoning can be used.
- Use different salsas to change the heat level. There are so many different brands out there and levels of spiciness that this recipe is very customizable.
- Want a sausage twist? Try adding a little ground chorizo to this recipe!
- Use a leaner ground beef, preferably 90/10 or higher to reduce the grease in this Taco Meat. The numbers 90/10 just refers to the meat to fat ratio. So there is 90% meat to 10% fat. The less fat there is in the meat, then the less grease it will produce. You want less fat in the meat since we will not be draining any grease while making this.
- This can be cooked on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- Feel free to change up the meat. Ground beef substitutes, ground turkey and ground pork can all be used.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- ground beef
- taco seasoning
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT TACO MEAT:
Add raw ground beef to an oval 5-6 quart slow cooker and break it up with a spatula.
Add in the taco seasoning and salsa and mix together.
Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. If you want your meat in tinier bits, you will want to break it up occasionally as it cooks.
Serve with all of your favorite taco flavored meals!
HOW TO STORE:
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- This can also be frozen. Allow the meat to cool slightly then place any remaining meat in an airtight container or freezer back and it should keep for up to 6 months.
- Let defrost in the refrigerator overnight and either reheat on stovetop or back in crock pot on low until heated through.