healthy breakfast smoothies
Breakfast Smoothies are an easy way to enjoy a healthy breakfast on busy mornings. These healthy smoothie recipes provide filling fiber and protein to give you energy all morning!
These breakfast smoothie recipes are perfect for busy mornings. You can sip on a smoothie as you get ready for work or get the kids ready for school.
Most of these recipes are kid-friendly. My kids love it when I tell them they can have a smoothie for breakfast! It’s an easy way to get plenty of fruits and/or veggies in their bodies at the beginning of the day. Many of these smoothie recipes also have oats, too, which makes them super filling.
In this post you’ll find smoothie recipes for every time of year, from healthy fruit smoothie recipes to fall pumpkin to year-round green smoothies. Drinking a smoothie for breakfast can give you a burst of energy in the morning and helps you to start your day on a healthy note.
HEALTHY SMOOTHIE INGREDIENTS
- Fresh or Frozen Fruit: You can use a combination of frozen and fresh fruits in your smoothies. The frozen fruit helps the smoothie to blend up thick and creamy. I like to freeze extra ripe bananas, peeled and cut into smaller pieces, so they are always ready for adding to smoothies. Ice dilutes the flavor of a smoothie so use frozen fruit instead.
- Vegetables: Veggies are nutrient powerhouses and working them into your morning smoothies is a great way to start your day off on a healthy note. Spinach, kale and other greens blend up well in smoothies. You can add frozen cauliflower to a smoothie and not even taste it. If you have a high powered blender, try adding carrots to your morning smoothie for a healthy dose of sweetness.
- Avocado: Have you ever tried an avocado smoothie? Avocado adds healthy fats to a smoothie, it blends up smooth, and you don’t taste the avocado (as long as you don’t add too much).
- Oatmeal: Adding old-fashioned oats is an easy way to take any smoothie and turn it into a breakfast smoothie. You can add raw oats (be sure to use old fashioned, or rolled, oats) to your blender along with the rest of the smoothie ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Greek Yogurt: Unless you need a dairy-free smoothie, plain Greek yogurt is a great way to add protein to your smoothie. Yogurt also makes smoothies creamy.
- Nut Butters: I love adding a scoop of almond butter or peanut butter to my smoothies. Nut butters provide healthy fats and protein, which give your smoothie staying power so you’re not hungry again right away.
- Seeds: Flax seeds, chia seeds and hemp seeds can all add fiber and nutrition to your smoothies.
- Liquid: You need to add a liquid ingredient to your smoothie to help it blend well. There are many options, from plain water to coconut water, milk, almond milk or other nut-based milks, coconut milk, oat milk and juice. I try not to use juice because it can add too much sugar to a smoothie, especially if you are also adding fruit.
- Flavor Boosters: A pinch of cinnamon or a few drops of vanilla extract can really boost the flavor of a smoothie!
HOW TO MAKE A SMOOTHIE
Smoothies are perfect for quick breakfasts and healthy snacks because they are so quick and easy to make! You just add all of the smoothie ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth. A high-powered blender, such as a Vitamix, isn’t necessary, but if you plan to make smoothies often I think it’s a worthwhile investment.
MEAL PREP SMOOTHIES
If your mornings are extra busy, you can prep smoothies ahead by making frozen smoothie packs. To meal prep smoothies:
- Assemble individual smoothie servings in mason jars or zip-top bags.
- Place your ingredients in the jar (or bag), starting with the fruit. Use fruit that is already frozen or it may be difficult to get out of the jar later.
- Do not add any liquid to the jar; you will add the liquid right before blending.
- Store the smoothie packs in your freezer until you are ready to use them.
- When ready to blend, dump the frozen smoothie pack into your blender. Pour your blending liquid into the jar and shake to get any last seeds, etc. out, then pour into your blender.
- Blend and enjoy, served right in the jar!
BEST BREAKFAST SMOOTHIES
Below you’ll find easy smoothie recipes in each of these categories. Click on the links to go straight to the smoothies in that category.
- Oatmeal Smoothies
- Green Smoothies
- Fruit Smoothies
- Banana Smoothies
- Breakfast Shakes
According to Google Trends data, there has been a 100% rise in searches for ‘Healthy breakfast recipes’ this week, as for many of us, it’s easy to miss out on a nutritional breakfast when we’re rushing about in the morning.
Often hailed as the most important meal of the day, we need a breakfast that is not only high in nutritional value but will keep us fuller for longer. With #smoothie being used over 11.8 million times on Instagram, iconic British kitchen brand, Dualit has a selection of quick, delicious and healthy smoothie recipes.
For those lacking in Vitamin D this winter, why not try Dualit’s Sunshine Smoothie recipe to brighten up the morning. Vitamin D helps the body to absorb calcium and phosphate – essential minerals that are important for healthy bones, teeth and muscles. For many, the primary source of Vitamin D is from exposure to sunlight. However, the Winter months bring shorter days, longer nights and low temperatures meaning one is not outside as often to take in sufficient amounts of Vitamin D. This Sunshine Smoothie is sure to give a much needed boost all in a tasty drink! This smoothie is made with the Dualit 700W Hand Blender.
- 240ml sweetened almond milk
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- ½ a medium banana
- 1 small peach or 2 apricots (stone removed)
- Add the washed spinach to the large Blending Beaker of the Dualit 700W Hand Blender, along with half of a banana.
- Cut the peach or apricots into chunks and add this to the blending beaker.
- Pour in the almond milk and use the Blender Shaft to blitz all the ingredients into a smooth drink.
- Serve over ice and enjoy!
GREEN GIANT SMOOTHIE
Made with the help of the Dualit 700W Hand Blender, this green smoothie recipe is great for the digestion and immune system, and makes for a filling nutritious breakfast. This smoothie can also be combined with ice and blended using Dualit’s VortecS Blender.
- 2 medium apples (skin on, stalk and pips removed)
- 2 medium pears (skin on, stalk and pips removed)
- 1 handful of baby spinach leaves
- 400ml coconut water, water or apple juice
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- Cut the apples and pears into evenly sized pieces, ensuring that the stalk, pips and core have been removed, and place into the large blending beaker of the Dualit 700W Hand Blender.
- Add the washed baby spinach and your choice of liquid (coconut water, water or apple juice), alongside the chopped ginger.
- Use the Dualit 700W Hand Blender to blend the ingredients together until your green smoothie is completely smooth.
- Pour into a serving glass with ice and drink immediately.
RED VELVET SMOOTHIE
This velvety smoothie is a blend of pink and red fruits and vegetables. From Vitamin C, A, B9, Potassium, Manganese and antioxidants known as polyphenols, this health packed smoothie is the perfect breakfast drink, made with the help of the Dualit 700W Hand Blender.
- a 200g punnet of strawberries
- 1 punnet of raspberries
- ½ a sweet red pepper
- 1 small baby beetroot (cooked)
- Juice of ½ a lime
- 500ml apple juice
- 1 tsp natural honey or agave
- Add the strawberries, raspberries, red pepper and beetroot into the large blender jug of the Dualit 700W Hand Blender.
- Add the apple juice and squeeze in the lime.
- Use the Blender Shaft to blend until super smooth.
- Add a teaspoon of honey or agave syrup only to sweeten the smoothie slightly – adjust this amount to your own personal preference.