Healthy cheap food ideas , It’s not always easy to eat healthy on a budget. I know from working in the grocery business for years. But the more you practice some of these tips listed below, the easier it will get.
Share Easy Healthy Cheap Food Ideas for back to school or college lunch ideas with pictures of your food and a brief description.
Cheap and Easy Dinners
Looking for an easy budget-friendly meal that’s more than just beans or pasta? A satisfying dish that pleases not only the palate and your purse strings, but that is also super-easy to make? These 15 recipes will save you time and money, plus reward you with full bellies and happy faces at the dinner table. Calling for pantry staples and spices you’re sure to have on hand, these recipes require only a handful of ingredients from the store. Plus, many of these quick and tasty dishes make enough for leftovers the next day, saving you more time. Take it easy on your sanity and your wallet—and spend more time with the family—with these 15 cheap and easy dinners!
1 of 15
Easy Mexican Casserole
The only cooking involved here is browning the ground beef—it’s all downhill from there! With a few more ingredients dumped, dolloped, spread, and sprinkled on, all you have to do is wait for the flavors to infuse into a melty Mexican treat in the oven. Serve with a side salad, or treat it like a dip for tortilla chips along with your favorite hot sauce, salsa, and guacamole.
2 of 15
Aunt Carol’s Spinach and Fish Bake
Melted cheese intermingled with crispy, warm bread crumbs and steamy chopped spinach kick this white fish bake up a notch, making it a family favorite. “My four year old loves this dish!” says SNOOCHUMS95. “This recipe was passed on by my Aunt and was a little bit of this, a little bit of that—so tweak the ingredients to your liking!”
3 of 15
Unstuffed Cabbage Roll
Like a deconstructed version of the Polish rolls, this casserole combines ground beef, cabbage, tomatoes, onions, a handful of spices, and the magic of the oven for a dish that even the kids will love.
4 of 15
Philly Steak Sandwich
If you want a hearty sandwich that makes a wow-worthy dinner, then you’ve gotta choose the beloved Philly Cheesesteak: piping-hot peppers and onions and seared slivers of spiced steak piled on toasty hoagie rolls and topped with melting Swiss cheese.
5 of 15
The Best Parmesan Chicken Bake
Avoid the time-consuming mess of tenderizing, breading, and frying with this casserole version of chicken Parmesan. It may not look like your grandma’s classic version, but it still delivers “that irresistible combination of tender chicken, crunchy-cheesy coating, and flavorful sauce,” says Chef John.
6 of 15
A savory mixture of ground beef, spices galore, egg, and bread are shaped into steaks and smothered in a rich and addictively savory gravy. “This recipe has been in my family for years,” says Kelly Berenger. “It’s easy to cook, but tastes like it took hours to make! I usually make enough extra sauce to pour over mashed potatoes.”
7 of 15
Easy Chicken Enchiladas
With only six ingredients, these enchiladas are a breeze to make. Grab your favorite toppings—like cilantro, jalapeños, hot sauce, guacamole, or sour cream—if you want to dress it up once it comes out of the oven. Enjoy!
8 of 15
Andie’s Quick ‘n Easy Sneaky Sloppy Joes
These “Sneaky” Sloppy Joes earn their name from the addition of onions, bell peppers, and budget-friendly lentils into the meaty mix. “This is a kiddo- and grandkid-friendly recipe you can whip up in a pinch meal … and get those veggies in without a struggle,” says Andie.
9 of 15
Savory Tater Tot Casserole
Five ingredients pack a serious punch of flavor in this savory tater tot casserole. Cream of chicken soup melts into the browned beef and mixed vegetables creating a rich filling, while crispy and crunchy tots take the limelight.
10 of 15
There’s nothing quite like a ready-to-eat Reuben. This classic hot sandwich features piles of steaming thinly sliced corned beef and sauerkraut with a mixture of melted Swiss and creamy Thousand Island.
Cheap Healthy Lunch Ideas for Work
A healthy lunch doesn’t have to be expensive. Stick to your budget by making your lunch at home and packing it for work. With over 50 easy healthy lunch ideas to inspire you including cold sandwiches, salads and grain bowls and warm soups and burritos, there is something for everyone.
1 of 59
Chicken Caesar Lettuce Cups
Upgrade your work lunch with these tasty Caesar salad lettuce cups. This Caesar salad recipe gets a healthy makeover, thanks to homemade dressing made with Greek yogurt.
2 of 59
Southwest Black-Bean Pasta Salad Bowls
Meal-prep a week’s worth of delicious and satisfying high-fiber lunches with just 5 simple ingredients and 20 minutes. In this Southwestern-style pasta salad, we’re using pasta made with black beans to bump up the fiber to an impressive 14 grams per serving. Paired with seasoned chicken strips and a flavorful corn salad–shortcut ingredients you can often find at your local specialty grocery store–this meal-prep lunch is one you’ll get excited for.
3 of 59
Chopped Veggie Grain Bowls with Turmeric Dressing
In about 10 minutes, you can prep a week’s worth of lunches using 4 simple ingredients from your local specialty grocery store. To minimize prep, we’re taking advantage of prechopped fresh veggie mix and frozen quinoa (which heats in the microwave in under 5 minutes). These crunchy chopped salad bowls are high in fiber but lower in calories, making them perfect for those following a reduced-calorie diet.
4 of 59
Chickpea “Chicken” Salad
This chickpea salad is a vegetarian version of a classic chicken salad–and can be eaten in the exact same way. Let’s be clear, though: it doesn’t taste like chicken, but it is a delicious (and fiber-packed) vegetarian alternative! Plus, it’s easily transportable, perfect for picnics and will surely step up your sad desk lunch.
5 of 59
Meal-Prep Curried Chicken Bowls
Curry doesn’t have to take hours to prepare. With the help of our sheet-pan meal-prep chicken (see associated recipe) and some cooked whole grains, you can make these meal-prep bowls in just a few minutes! Keep them in the fridge for an easy dinner on a busy weeknight or for healthy grab-and-go lunches throughout the week.
6 of 59
Avocado Ranch Chicken Salad
Avocado makes an exceptionally creamy and healthful dressing for this chicken salad. A bit of ranch dressing with pickled jalapeño adds a tangy spin to the lunchtime classic. Serve it on a slice of whole-wheat toast for an open-face sandwich or in a lettuce cup for a low-carb lunch.
7 of 59
This wrap is stuffed with chicken tenders and couscous with a hit of lemon and a healthy dose of fresh herbs. Save any leftovers to wrap up for an easy lunch. Serve with: Mixed green salad and a glass of crisp white wine.
8 of 59
Make over classic BLT sandwiches into low-carb–and company-worthy–salad cups.
9 of 59
Tuna, White Bean & Dill Salad
Take canned tuna to new heights by adding cannellini beans, red onion and dill, tossing it in a lemon-pepper-Dijon dressing and serving it over a spinach salad with canned beets.
10 of 59
Spicy Ramen Cup of Noodles
Make your own cup of instant soup at home with this vegetarian ramen recipe. Pack several jars at once to take to work for easy lunches throughout the week.
Budget healthy recipes
Being healthy on a budget doesn’t have to be hard. Try our easy recipes that are rich in nutritious ingredients and great flavour.
For seven days of family-focussed budget meals try our budget family meal plan or explore budget vegetarian recipes, budget vegan recipes and student recipes
- Tomato & pasta soupA star rating of 4.6 out of 5.63 ratingsMake our simple, budget-friendly tomato, pasta and chickpea soup in just 30 minutes. This easy, vegetarian family meal is healthy and even low fat
- Spicy ‘vedgeree’A star rating of 4.2 out of 5.8 ratingsTry our veggie twist on kedgeree for a healthy supper. Like the traditional version, it’s served with boiled eggs and has a lovely mild curry flavour
- Spinach falafel & hummus bowlA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.3 ratingsMake this easy vegan salad bowl, with homemade spinach falafels and hummus served alongside pitta and salad. It’s packed with nutrients for a healthy supper
- Carrot pilaf with coriander chutneyA star rating of 5 out of 5.12 ratingsTry this healthy pilaf filled for an easy midweek meal. With cashew nuts, veg and spices, it’s not only tasty but budget-friendly too. Top with coriander chutney
- Chicken, leek & brown rice stir-fryA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.8 ratingsCombine the classic flavours of chicken and chorizo with kale and rice for a substantial yet speedy dinner, taking less than 20 minutes to make
- Vegan salad bowlA star rating of 4 out of 5.1 ratingWhip up an easy vegan salad, with beans, radish, pickled cabbage and couscous. Bursting with flavour, it makes a satisfying dinner or lunch on the go
- Easy chicken stewA star rating of 3.6 out of 5.12 ratingsMake this healthy chicken stew – it’s simple and perfect for a filling family supper. Our easy, low-fat recipe is delicious served with a warm cheese scone
- Creamy pesto & kale pastaA star rating of 4.2 out of 5.51 ratingsEnjoy our creamy pesto and kale pasta as a tasty and nutritious supper. Make it with just a handful of ingredients and storecupboard staples
- Chole with cumin rice & raitaA star rating of 5 out of 5.7 ratingsMake a chickpea curry served with raita for a brilliant budget-friendly family meal. As well as being quick and easy, it’s healthy too
- Posh egg, chips & beansA star rating of 5 out of 5.1 ratingWhip up a classic egg and chips with smoky beans for an easy dinner or weekend brunch. This version is healthy, high in fibre and low-calorie too
- Curried chicken & new potato traybakeA star rating of 4.3 out of 5.89 ratingsA healthy one-pan traybake with garam masala, turmeric, ginger and garlic – lightly spiced and ideal for a family supper
- Super-quick sesame ramenA star rating of 4 out of 5.23 ratingsRustle up this warming veggie ramen in just 15 minutes. Think of it as healthy fast food – it’s low-fat, low-calorie and low-cost as well
- Sesame & spring onion stir-fried udon with crispy tofuA star rating of 4.5 out of 5.17 ratingsDo something different for dinner, with our vegan noodle, tofu, green bean and spring onion stir-fry. It’s quick and healthy, plus it’s budget-friendly too
- Smoky chickpeas on toastA star rating of 5 out of 5.19 ratingsSpend just 12 minutes on this healthy, budget-friendly supper for two. Our fuss-free smoky chickpeas on toast deliver two of your 5-a-day and is low in calories
- Miso mushroom & tofu noodle soupA star rating of 4.4 out of 5.5 ratingsRustle up this miso, mushroom and tofu noodle soup with just six simple ingredients. Healthy and low in calories, it makes a tasty light lunch or supper
- Masala frittata with avocado salsaA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.43 ratingsA spicy twist on a simple frittata recipe, with Masala paste, coriander and plump cherry tomatoes. Pair it with our avocado salsa for a light and budget-friendly supper
- Super smoky bacon & tomato spaghettiA star rating of 4.4 out of 5.199 ratingsServe your pasta with a budget-busting tomato and paprika sauce. It’s a healthy choice to boot
- Cauliflower, paneer & pea curryA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.146 ratingsReady in less than an hour, this easy, vegetarian curry recipe made with pan-fried Indian cheese and vegetables is also cheap to prepare
- Kidney bean curryA star rating of 4.5 out of 5.217 ratingsA rescue recipe for when there’s nothing in the fridge, or when you fancy something cheap, delicious and filling
- Pea falafels with minty couscous saladA star rating of 4 out of 5.17 ratingsGive falafel a makeover by using a mix of chickpeas and frozen peas, serve with couscous and a dollop of yogurt for a cheap but tasty meal
- Creamy tomato risottoA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.230 ratingsA budget rice dish flavoured with rosemary, basil and sweet cherry tomatoes. An ideal midweek supper
- Spring tabboulehA star rating of 4.3 out of 5.16 ratingsA simple, budget, spring salad that can add a healthy dose of vegetables to your midweek meal. This easy vegan dish also makes great leftover lunches
- Red lentil & carrot soupA star rating of 4.3 out of 5.106 ratingsThis warming and budget-friendly vegetarian soup is perfect packed in a flask for lunch. It’s also easy to double the quantities and freeze half for later
- Indian sweet potato & dhal piesA star rating of 4.3 out of 5.96 ratingsSpiced red lentil dhal is topped with creamy sweet potato mash in these individual vegetarian pies – a cheap weeknight dinner option