Chick-fil-A sandwiches are just as tender and juicy as the original, only better! Now you can satisfy your craving for those perfectly breaded and seasoned sandwiches anytime you need to!
Make a full Chick-fil-A menu for a fun night out, that’s actually in! Make Chicken nuggets, Regular or Frosted Lemonade and of course you have to have the famous Chick-fil-A Sauce to make it complete!
Copycat Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich
We absolutely love Chick-fil-A at our house! So you can imagine my excitement when I found this copycat recipe. I kept thinking how awesome it would be to make these at home. They were a lot easier than I thought they would be to make and they tasted identical! My family loved them!
My little boy kept asking how I got them to look the same and taste the same as Chick-fil-A. They were perfectly crisp on the outside and packed with flavor on the inside. Of course you have to serve them on a toasted bun with pickles and some lemonade. And after you serve them to your family say, “My pleasure!”
What You Need For Chicken Sandwiches
These are surprisingly easy to make and the ingredients are simple. Our secret ingredient, malt powder can be found with the chocolate milk mixes in your local store. So let’s get cooking!
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Salt and Pepper: Use freshly ground pepper for the best flavor.
- Paprika: Gives it color and flavor.
- Peanut Oil: This oil is the best oil for frying because of its high smoke content.
- Egg: Large or extra large, not medium sized.
- Milk: I used nonfat, but you can use any percent or even buttermilk.
- Flour: All purpose flour
- Malted Milk Powder: Adds incredible flavor that mimics the original.
- Confectioners Sugar: Also known as powdered sugar for a bit of sweet and lightness.
- Baking Soda: Helps the breading fry up light and crispy.
- Dry Mustard: Flavor enhancer.
- Pickle Juice: Helps to tenderize the chicken.
- Hamburger Buns: Lightly toast your buns before putting the chicken on it.
- Chick-fil-A Sauce: Yes you can make it at home too!
Making Chick-fil-A Sandwiches just like the Original
Super easy and extremely tasty, your whole family will be so impressed how awesome you are when you make these copycat chick-fil-a sandwiches!
- Chicken: Pound each chicken breast to be about ¼ to ½ inch thickness. This will help them to fry easier. Season chicken with 1 tsp salt, and ½ tsp each of paprika and pepper. Set chicken aside.
- Oil: In a heavy bottom pan, heat 2 inches of peanut oil over medium heat until a deep fry thermometer registers 325 degrees, or until small drops of water sizzle and evaporate.
- Flour and Egg mixture: While the oil is heating, whisk the egg, milk, pickle juice, and 2 Tablespoons water in a baking dish. Then whisk flour, malted milk powder, confectioners sugar, baking soda, dry mustard, the remaining paprika and salt and pepper in another dish.
- Dip and Dredge: Dip the chicken first in the egg mixture. Then dredge in the flour mixture coating completely.
- Fry: Fry the chicken in the hot oil until brown, about 4 minutes, adjusting the heat if needed. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve: Serve on lightly toasted buns with desired toppings and chick-fil-a sauce.
Tips For Perfect Chick-fil-A Sandwiches
Making these is super easy and all it takes is a little time, and then you can enjoy one of the best sandwiches ever in your own home!
- Chicken: Pounding the chicken thin or even butterflying it is super important. You want the chicken to cook through by the time the breading is done. Otherwise the breading can burn before the chicken is done. Chicken is done when the internal temperature registers 165 degrees.
- Marinate: You can let the chicken marinate in a mixture of pickle juice and water. Use ½ cup pickle juice and ¼ cup water, let marinate for 30 minutes. This will help the chicken be extra juicy and tender. If you add this step you can skip the pickle juice in the egg mixture.
- Breading: If you like extra breading on your chicken, double dip your chicken. After you dredge it in the egg and flour mixture, repeat it by dipping it in the egg and then the flour again. It will create an even crispier crunchier breading.
- Oil: If you do not have peanut oil, you can use canola or another vegetable oil. Do not use olive or other low smoke oils. You want one that can handle the heat.
More Variations and Tips for Chick-Fil-A Chicken
- Spicy: You can make the spicy version of this Chick-fil-A chicken by adding 1 teaspoon of cayenne to the flour mixture. Add more or less according to your tastes. If you have some who don’t want it spicy, dredge theirs first. Then add the spice to the rest of the flour mixture and continue as directed.
- Toppings: One thing about Chick-fil-A is that I never get enough pickles! Making these at home you can add all the toppings you want. Lettuce, tomato, pickles, extra sauce and don’t forget the cheese!
- Storing and Reheating: If you have any leftovers keep them in the fridge tightly sealed for up to 4 days. Reheat in the oven or in a pan to crisp up the outside. Avoid the microwave as it will toughen the chicken and make the outside soggy.
- Serve: These chicken sandwiches are perfect for a fun dinner or even a special lunch. Serve them up and serve with a side of fries and fry sauce. Add a pasta salad, broccoli and cauliflower salad, 7 layer salad or fruit salad to round it out. Make some homemade Root Beer and brownies and you have a dynamite meal on your hands!
More Chicken Recipes to Love
Chicken is one of the best proteins. It is relatively cheap, healthy and super easy to customize. Because of its mild flavor you can add all sorts of different spices to make so many different kinds of chicken recipes. Here are some of our tried and true favorites that really allow the chicken to shine!
Copycat Chick-fil-A Sandwich
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 4 Servings
Deliciously crispy chicken sandwiches that taste just like Chick-fil-A.
- Kosher salt
- Peanut oil
for frying (at least 2 inches to cover the bottom of a pan)
malted milk powder
soft hamburger buns
- Chick Fil A Sauce
Updated on March 11, 202
Originally Posted on August 16, 2013
Calories531kcal (27%)Carbohydrates50g (17%)Protein58g (116%)Fat9g (14%)Saturated Fat2g (10%)Cholesterol187mg (62%)Sodium636mg (27%)Potassium1028mg (29%)Fiber3g (12%)Sugar7g (8%)Vitamin A436IU (9%)Vitamin C3mg (4%)Calcium139mg (14%)Iron4mg (22%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.