Looking for healthy dinner ideas with chicken and rice? I have a collection of easy recipes that your family will love!
Our family enjoys skipping the takeout and hunkering down in the kitchen to make a homemade meal. One of the benefits is that I know exactly what ingredients are in our meals. Another is that we are feeding our kids wholesome ingredients and learning life skills like cooking together.
Healthy chicken and rice recipes
Make a wholesome, filling dinner with our healthy chicken and rice recipes. Try a hearty pilaf full of flavour, a zingy salad or family-friendly curry.
- Herb & ricotta chicken with mushroom riceA star rating of 4.4 out of 5.18 ratingsStuff chicken breasts with a creamy garlic and Parmesan filling for a special, yet super-healthy, dinner that provides folate, iron and two of your 5-a-day
- Chicken, leek & blue cheese pilafA star rating of 4 out of 5.6 ratingsEnjoy our gluten-free chicken dinner with blue cheese, leeks and walnuts. Ready to eat in 45 minutes, it’s healthy too, containing three of your 5-a-day
- Fridge-raid fried riceA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.15 ratingsPack in the veg with this healthy chicken fried rice, which uses everyday foods you’ll find in the fridge for a quick and easy family supper
- Chicken & chorizo jambalayaA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.2452 ratingsA Cajun-inspired rice pot recipe with spicy Spanish sausage, sweet peppers and tomatoes
- Chicken with rice & peasA star rating of 3.8 out of 5.22 ratingsWhen hunger strikes this healthy chicken with rice and peas dish will not only fill you up but provide plenty of nutrients, too, containing three of your five-a-day
- Easiest ever seafood riceA star rating of 4.6 out of 5.324 ratingsUsing pre-prepared mixed seafood makes this dish very easy to put together
- Stir-fried chicken with broccoli & brown riceA star rating of 4.3 out of 5.99 ratingsCombine lean chicken with super-healthy broccoli, ginger and garlic for a quick and cheap, weeknight dinner
- Mexican chicken & wild rice soupA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.13 ratingsA dish with added feelgood factor – this vitamin C filled soup is the ideal after-work pick-me-up
- Moroccan-style chicken with lentilsA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.103 ratingsLesley Waters’ rich chicken dish has vibrant North African flavours and goes fantastically with rice or couscous
- Chinese poached chicken & riceA star rating of 4.4 out of 5.17 ratingsFor a healthy yet satisfying meal, try this dish eaten across China and Southeast Asia – and use the leftovers to make our cold chicken noodle salad for the next day
- One-pot chicken, pumpkin & pepper riceA star rating of 5 out of 5.1 ratingMake this simple chicken one-pot with festive spices for bring-a-dish parties – it’s packed with warming flavour
- Roast chicken thighs with brown rice & salsa verdeA star rating of 3.5 out of 5.4 ratingsHow about a healthy, low-calorie roast chicken dinner? Enjoy this tasty meal with benefits like vitamin C from the salsa verde which helps iron absorbtion
- Chicken biryani pilauA star rating of 4.5 out of 5.61 ratingsEasy and cheap to recreate at home, students won’t need to order takeaways ever again!
- Chicken, edamame & ginger pilafA star rating of 4.4 out of 5.51 ratingsMake this healthy rice pot for a mid-week supper – crammed with fibre and vitamin C
- Chinese chicken curryA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.408 ratingsCook an easy, healthy curry with just 15 minutes preparation. Serve this replica of your favourite takeaway dish with fluffy rice for a wholesome family meal
- Low-fat chicken biryaniA star rating of 3.9 out of 5.27 ratingsThis fragrant Indian chicken curry with rice topping has half the fat of your normal takeaway, and it’s low calorie
- Barley, chicken & mushroom risottoA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.27 ratingsLove risotto? Try this low-fat version, which swaps traditional risotto rice for pearl barley
- Oven-baked chicken pilauA star rating of 4.9 out of 5.24 ratingsThis chicken pilau is not only satisfying, it’s healthy too
- Coronation chicken saladA star rating of 5 out of 5.3 ratingsRustle up this healthy and filling coronation chicken salad for a packed lunch in just five minutes using our roast chicken cooked beforehand to save time
- Chicken & veg bowlA star rating of 4.6 out of 5.5 ratingsMake this colourful chicken, brown rice and vegetable dish for the whole family. With avocado, edamame beans, sweetcorn and carrots, it’s not only tasty, but healthy too
Healthy Chicken and Rice Recipes That Are Anything But Boring
Grilled chicken and brown rice recipes are a healthy meal-prepper’s dream. After all, they’re packed with lean protein and complex carbohydrates — the best meal combo for muscle recovery post-workout. But they can get boring if eaten the same way day in and day out. So if you’re among the 21 percent of Americans who aims to eat more nutritiously and lose some pounds in the new year, turn to these low-calorie, flavorful chicken and rice recipes. Each proves that the dinner favorite can actually be satisfying and crave-worthy.
8 Chicken and Rice Recipes So You’ll Never Get Bored
1. One Skillet Spicy Ranch Chicken
One skillet, one pound of chicken breasts, one packet of ranch mix…this is one of the easiest chicken and brown rice recipes to remember. In addition to chicken and rice, you’ll also get a bevy of fiber-rich bell peppers and black beans with each scoop. Since it comes together in just 20 minutes, this is a stellar swap for those days when you’re tempted to order takeout. Photo and recipe: Erin Clarke / Well Plated
2. Baked Chicken and Brown Rice Vegetable Casserole
Like the easiest-ever Cuban arroz con pollo, this one-pan chicken, brown rice and veggie casserole practically cooks itself after 10 minutes of prep time. To boost the vitamins, double the carrots and peas. Pro tip: Buy a bag of frozen mixed veggies so you get peas, green beans and carrots in one. Photo and recipe: Sabrina Snyder / Dinner, Then Dessert
3. Chipotle Chicken and Rice Soup
Think of this 30-minute chicken tortilla soup remix as the ultimate way to transform leftovers into something you’ll love. Use bone broth as the base for its joint-soothing properties, opt for brown over white rice to crank up the fiber and top with a few slices of avocado for a dose of healthy fats. Photo and recipe: Alexa Schirm / Simple Roots Wellness
4. Maple-Ginger Chicken Meal Prep Lunch Bowls
This Asian-inspired is endlessly customizable and is the perfect healthy swap for take-out. For the most nutrition per nosh, stick to brown rice, low-sodium soy sauce, lean chicken breasts and any in-season vegetables. Simply stir-fry the meat and veggies in a wok and then toss the sauce over the food. Photo and recipe: Denise / Sweet Peas and Saffron
5. Chicken Fajita Stuffed Peppers
Stuffed peppers make same-old chicken and rice recipes more interesting because of the crunchy, fiber-rich “bowl.” A zesty Mexican marinade makes the chicken breasts the star of this this healthy dinner. In fact, the protein is so flavorful, you only need two chicken breasts for six servings. The original recipe calls for Spanish rice, but feel free to trade in brown, black or red rice and cook about five minutes longer for a nutrition upgrade. Photo and recipe: Lyuba Brooke / Will Cook for Smiles
Healthy Chicken & Rice Recipes
Find healthy, delicious chicken and rice recipes, from the food and nutrition experts at EatingWell.
Chicken & Broccoli CasseroleRating: 3.5 stars16This one-pan chicken-and-broccoli recipe comes out of the oven all browned, cheesy and bubbling like a casserole, but is really prepared more like a skillet meal on the stovetop. Serve with a crunchy green salad
.One-Skillet Bourbon Chicken Coating the chicken in cornstarch might seem like an extra step, but the reward is twofold: it gives the chicken a crispy exterior and also thickens the sauce. Legend has it that bourbon chicken was originally named after Bourbon Street in New Orleans; it can often be found on menus at Chinese American restaurants.
Meal-Prep Chili-Lime Chicken BowlsSkip takeout and whip up these equally delicious, and easy-to-make burrito bowls at home. They’re great for a fast and easy dinner or as meal-prep lunches to pack for work throughout the week.
Green Veggie Bowl with Chicken & Lemon-Tahini DressingRating: 5 stars6For this healthy 30-minute dinner, treat your veggies like pasta and cook until al dente, or just done. If you have a little extra time, double or triple the lemon-tahini dressing and use it to quickly dress a salad or as a sauce for steak or shrimp.
Cauliflower Chicken Fried “Rice”Rating: 4.5 stars11Get an extra serving of vegetables and cut back on carbs by replacing rice with riced cauliflower in this satisfying chicken fried rice recipe
Slow-Cooker Arroz con Pollo (Chicken & Rice)Rating: 5 stars4This one-pot chicken dinner, inspired by the traditional dish of Spain and Latin America, comes together easily in the crock pot. The instant brown rice is added near the end, to keep it from overcooking
Creamy Mushroom, Chicken & Asparagus BakeRating: 4.5 stars4This comforting weeknight casserole recipe features plenty of mushrooms and asparagus combined with chicken and brown rice and a creamy Parmesan cheese sauce. Whip this up anytime you have leftover chicken or cooked brown rice to spare.
Louisiana GumboRating: 5 stars12Chock-full of shrimp, chicken, sausage, okra and tomatoes, this flavorful stew is a staple in Louisiana. Make it a meal and serve with Real Cornbread (see associated recipe).
Gluten-Free Teriyaki Chicken with BroccoliRating: 5 stars1Everyone loves teriyaki chicken–and this one is better for you with much less added sugar. It’s also gluten-free so long as you use tamari (aka gluten-free soy sauce). Feel free to swap out the broccoli for any veggie–carrots, snow peas, green beans–that you have on hand.
Easy Chicken Tinga Rice BowlsLeftover chicken tinga, pinto beans and bell peppers combine to make a hearty, flavorful rice bowl.
Chicken-&-Rice-Stuffed Peppers with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream SauceSometimes meals come in perfect packaging. This is one of those times. Here’s a satisfying dinner packed into two bell pepper halves per serving. Chicken and rice are infused with umami from sun-dried tomatoes and the filling is bound by Parmesan and a bit of cream for cheesy goodness. Use shelf-stable precooked brown rice to make this meal super quick.
Fajita-Inspired Chicken-Stuffed PeppersThese chicken-stuffed peppers feature a delicious blend of savory ingredients that closely resemble the flavors of chicken fajitas. The chicken and bean filling fits neatly into a nice, sweet pepper with a cheesy topping. Packaged brown rice makes this dinner super easy, but leftover rice will work just as well