Looking for a new recipe to try? This Healthy Easy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole is a yummy way to serve chicken and spaghetti together.
You can tell from the name that it’s a dish that makes you think the main ingredient would be chicken chock-full of protein, but no. This easy chicken spaghetti casserole recipe is likely to surprise you, but only with its mouthwatering goodness. Ital Stewed Chicken with Spaghetti – a wholesome, low calorie and hearty meal.
Healthy Easy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole Recipe
Make sure to try my Angel Chicken Recipe too!
(This post was originally published in 2014. The photos and tips have been updated in 2021, but the recipe remains the same.)
Cozy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
During the school year, as I’m sure you know, weeknights can get hectic. But making a quick, simple dinner is the first step to getting everything under control! My go-to dinner recipe in these kinds of situations is this cozy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole.
It’s made with spaghetti (obviously), Rotisserie chicken, cream of chicken soup, tomato sauce, and more! Hearty comfort food that demands you come back for seconds? Sign me up!
The whole entire family LOVES this homemade casserole. And I love that they love it because life is so much easier when everybody’s stomach is happy!
So, what do you need to throw this spaghetti casserole together? Here are the essentials:
- Spaghetti: You’ll need 1 lb, broken and cooked to al dente spaghetti.
- Chicken: Approximately 4 cups cooked cubed or shredded chicken. I used 1 Rotisserie Chicken.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: Use 1 (10.5 oz) can.
- Tomato Sauce: 1 (15 oz ) can. Whatever your favorite brand is will work!
- Butter: I like to use salted butter
- Sour Cream: You’ll need about 16 oz for the sauce.
- Seasonings/Spices: Use 1 Tbsp dried parsley (or 2-3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley), 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cheddar Cheese: I used grated sharp cheddar cheese, but you can use shredded if you want to.
- Breadcrumbs: My go-to is 3/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs, but Panko breadcrumbs could work too.
How to Make Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
Let’s get this chicken casserole into the oven! The prep work shouldn’t take you more than 25 minutes, which is always nice when you don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen.
Another great thing about this meal is that you don’t have to call everybody to the table. They’ll smell it baking and come running to the kitchen ahead of time!
Preheat the Oven: Preheat oven to 350°.
Cook the Spaghetti: In a large pot cook spaghetti (broken in half) to al dente, according to package directions.
Shred the Chicken: While pasta is cooking, shred or cube cooked chicken and place in a large bowl.
Add Sauce: Mix in cream of chicken soup, tomato sauce, melted butter, sour cream, parsley, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Stir until chicken is coated and combined.
Mix Chicken and Pasta Together: When pasta is cooked, drain and place pasta in the bowl with the chicken mixture and mix until evenly combined.
Add Cheese: Place mixture in a 9×13 baking dish. Top with grated cheese.
Add Breadcrumbs: Combine remaining 2 Tbsp melted butter and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Sprinkle evenly on top of cheese.