These healthy lunch and dinner meals are full of flavor without the extra fat and calories. There is something on this list for everyone, veggies included!
Lunch and dinner healthy meals, that’s what we’re all after. All I want is a meal plan that keeps me healthy and prepared. I don’t have time to think of what to make at home, running around all day like a chicken with my heads cut off (no pun intended). I’m always on the go and have serious cravings.
Cheap and Healthy Lunch and Dinner Recipes
Whether you’re a veggie- or meat-eater, we’ve got a main dish (or 10) for you. From zucchini noodles to BBQ chicken, here are our Greatist-approved main dish ideas for a healthier dinner (or lunch) any day of the week.
Need a healthy lunch? Here are 35 options. With a little planning, they can all be prepared in seven minutes or less. It’s time to kick that brown-bag lunch up a notch!
Twice-Baked Broccoli-and-Kale-Stuffed Potatoes
This hearty but healthy side dish is perfect for a rainy day.
Zucchini Noodles With Leek-Tomato Sauce
Hop on the veggie-lover wagon with this super-simple zucchini pasta and simple homemade marinara sauce.
Mushroom-Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
These simplified veggie-filled cabbage rolls are the perfect homemade, comforting meal to tackle on a lazy weekend day.
Quick and Easy Veggie Chili
This harty vegetarian chili is the perfect way to warm up on a cold winter weekend! Plus, one batch will last you all week.
Butternut Squash, Chickpea, and Kale Curry
A hearty, protein-rich, vegetarian strew is a perfect mid-week meal that’s easy to throw together in less than 45 minutes flat.
Kale, Red Pepper, and Broccoli Spread Rollup
Try a healthier take on the classic lunch wrap by using kale as the bread in this veggie-packed rollup “sandwich.”
Cheesy Stuffed Tomatoes
Need a quick, filling, vegetarian-friendly snack or easy lunch? Try these simple (and super cheesy) stuffed tomatoes.
Lentils with Roasted Beets and Carrots
Try this unique lentil salad for a fiber-packed, filling meal.
Quinoa with Broccoli-Avocado Pesto
Looking for a comforting, warm dish that still passes the healthy meal test? Try this hearty warm vegetable and quinoa salad with roasted broccoli pesto.
Mexican-Style Sweet Potatoes
Looking for something new to do with sweet potatoes? Try this fiesta-style side. Ole!
Whole-Wheat Rigatoni With Greens
Looking for a way to fit more whole grains into that dinner dish? Try this hearty whole-wheat pasta dish with seasonal greens.
Kelp Noodles With Almond-Ginger Dressing
Need an alternative to classic noodles? Try this inventive take on the classic sesame noodle dish by swapping in kelp noodles and almond butter.
Whole-Wheat Linguine With Asparagus and Lemon
Get into the full swing of spring with this bright and lemony healthy whole-wheat pasta recipe with asparagus and fresh Parmesan!
Pesto Cheese Pizza
Give this basil-packed grown up version of the classic cheese pizza a try!
Fresh Fig and Onion Flatbread Pizza
Take advantage of fig season and try this fresh, quick pizza recipe!
Meat-Free Mushroom Bolognese
Try this meat-free take on a classic hearty Italian pasta dish.
Vegetable and Goat Cheese Quesadilla
Try this vegetarian quesadilla for an easy dinner-for-one!
Seasonal veggies stuffed with even more veggies? Yes, please! These eggplant, onion, and bell pepper-stuffed zucchinis are a great vegetarian main dish alternative.
Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers
This black bean and quinoa based burger is packed with protein (just like the real thing) and adds a fun flavor twist to the traditional veggie burger.
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
Mix up the pizza game with this interesting take on a classic Italian dish that uses grated cauliflower as the crust. Buono appetite!
Baked Chickpea Burgers
These herb- and veggie-packed chickpea burgers are a great Mediterranean meat-free twist on the classic burger.
Creamy Avocado Pasta
This light and tasty pasta dish is done in minutes and healthfully satisfying to the last bite.
This Italian classic takes a healthier twist with quinoa and spinach. Plus, it’s super quick to make!
Mushroom and Olive Veggie Burgers
These quick, easy, and healthy veggie burgers will crush their pre-made frozen competition in any taste (or nutrition) test.
Basil Quinoa Cakes
These little patties are packed with basil, fun to make, and make the perfect portable meal when paired with salad or made into a sandwich (for breakfast, too!).
Quinoa and Sweet Potato Stuffed Mushrooms
These sweet potato and quinoa stuffed mushroom caps are just as filling as a hunk-o’-meat and can be enjoyed by anyone around the dinner table—meat eater or no
Healthy packed lunch recipe
Forget soggy sandwiches and let our healthy recipes inspire you to make tastier packed lunches. From salads to soups, you’ll be looking forward to lunchtime.
- Chicken with Spanish-style butter beansA star rating of 5 out of 5.5 ratingsStuck for lunchbox inspiration? Try this healthy chicken and butterbean salad, which will fill you up for the afternoon and deliver four of your 5-a-day
- Roasted veg & couscous saladA star rating of 4.5 out of 5.36 ratingsThrow together a filling and fragrant couscous salad for a vegetarian lunchbox meal, or double it for a buffet
- Lime prawn cocktail pitta saladA star rating of 4.3 out of 5.4 ratingsMake this speedy lime prawn cocktail salad as a filling lunch that packs a flavour-punch. It’s tasty, healthy and low in calories
- Wasabi chicken rice saladA star rating of 3 out of 5.2 ratingsUse leftover chicken to make this easy rice bowl for lunch. With a punchy wasabi, lime and yogurt dressing, it’s full of flavour and healthy too
- Bombay potato frittataA star rating of 4.6 out of 5.27 ratingsPack in the flavour with this Indian-inspired frittata. Perfect for a healthy lunch, it’s low in calories and fat and full of nutrients
- Smoky beef stewA star rating of 3.9 out of 5.24 ratingsEnjoy this simple stew for dinner, then pack into boxes to keep you going for lunches
- Sesame chicken noodlesA star rating of 4.2 out of 5.7 ratingsForget soggy lunchbox sandwiches and whip up a tasty and healthy chicken and noodle salad for lunch using our pre-made roast chicken recipe
- Meal prep: riceA star rating of 3.8 out of 5.9 ratingsEat well at work with two lunchboxes made from the same rice base – one with tuna, the other with feta and beetroot. They’re gluten-free and high in protein
- Coronation chicken saladA star rating of 5 out of 5.3 ratingsRustle up this healthy and filling coronation chicken salad for a packed lunch in just five minutes using our roast chicken cooked beforehand to save time
- Healthy chicken saladA star rating of 4.6 out of 5.36 ratingsThis easy-to-prepare healthy chicken salad is filled with zingy flavours – the simplified version is great for kids’ lunchboxes too
- Butternut squash saladA star rating of 4 out of 5.33 ratingsGet a whopping 4 of your 5-a-day with this superhealthy salad, why not make extra for your lunchbox too
- Lemony tuna & asparagus salad boxA star rating of 4.4 out of 5.12 ratingsA new take on the classic salad Niçoise. This lean salad is bulked out by storecupboard cannellini beans and flavoured with dill and lemon
- Sunshine Cobb saladA star rating of 4.9 out of 5.6 ratingsPack 4 of your 5-a-day into your lunchbox with this healthy black bean, egg and prawn salad with a sweet chilli and lime dressing
- Chicken taco saladA star rating of 4.9 out of 5.7 ratingsA crunchy chicken salad that’s zesty, healthy and 4 of your 5-a-day. Try this for variety in your teenager’s lunchbox or take it to work
- Lemon & coriander hummusA star rating of 4.5 out of 5.30 ratingsHummus is so easy to make and beats shop-bought varieties every time. Try it with vegetable crudités in your packed lunch
- Hearty mushroom soupA star rating of 4.3 out of 5.75 ratingsA satisfying and low-fat vegetarian soup that’s a good source of folic acid
- Healthy Turkish meatloafA star rating of 3.6 out of 5.15 ratingsServe this lamb meatloaf and salad at a summer picnic or packed up for lunch. It’s tasty and healthy too, delivering all five of your five-a-day
- Spiced carrot & lentil soupA star rating of 4.6 out of 5.1212 ratingsA delicious, spicy blend packed full of iron and low in fat to boot. It’s ready in under half an hour, or can be made in a slow cooker
- Stuffed Moroccan pittaA star rating of 3.2 out of 5.8 ratingsStuff wheat-free bread with falafels, hummus, red pepper and rocket leaves for a healthy and filling lunch
- Prawn & avocado wrapA star rating of 3.5 out of 5.2 ratingsWrap up something healthy for your lunchbox. This sandwich is flavoured with lime, spring onion and spicy sauce
- Bean & barley soupA star rating of 4.3 out of 5.18 ratingsLow-fat, vegetarian and super-healthy, this filling one-pot lunch or dinner is packed with chickpeas, butter beans and pearl barley
- Spicy avocado wrapsA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.21 ratingsPan-fry vegetarian, chicken-style pieces with lime, chilli and garlic, then pile onto seeded tortilla wraps – cool before assembling if packing for lunch
- Veggie wholewheat pot noodleA star rating of 3.5 out of 5.4 ratingsThis clever packed lunch is super healthy, with crisp vegetables, wholewheat noodles and a spicy, zingy dressing
- Vitality chicken salad with avocado dressingA star rating of 4 out of 5.9 ratingsA super-green, healthy mix of soya beans, cucumber, avocado and Little Gem lettuce – topped with lean shredded chicken breast
Quick and healthy recipes
Tuck into healthy recipes that you can make in under 30 minutes. We’ve got plenty of quick and tasty salads, soups and mains to leave you feeling nourished.
- Chicken satay saladA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.172 ratingsMarinate chicken breasts, then drizzle with a punchy peanut satay sauce for a no-fuss, midweek meal that’s high in protein and big on flavour
- Linguine with avocado, tomato & limeA star rating of 3.8 out of 5.100 ratingsUse guacamole ingredients to make this low-calorie vegan linguine which can also be served cold as a pasta salad. It delivers on flavour and it’s healthy.
- Pork souvlakiA star rating of 4.5 out of 5.55 ratingsServe our speedy pork souvlaki skewers when you’re in need of a quick and easy midweek meal. Serve with flatbreads and yogurt and chilli sauces on the side
- Roasted cod with zingy beetroot saladA star rating of 5 out of 5.4 ratingsMake the most of the colour and flavour of beetroot with our easy roasted cod served on a beetroot, new potato and carrot salad with a lovely zingy dressing
- Pomegranate chicken with almond couscousA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.153 ratingsJazz up chicken breasts in this fruity, sweetly spiced sauce with pomegranate seeds, toasted almonds and tagine paste
- Tuna, caper & chilli spaghettiA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.25 ratingsThrow together tuna, capers and rocket with garlic, chilli and spaghetti to make this easy and healthy supper. It takes just 25 minutes to make
- Salsa verde baked eggsA star rating of 5 out of 5.2 ratingsDunk flatbreads into these salsa verde baked eggs to soak up the lovely juices. Healthy and low in calories, it takes just 15 minutes to make
- Turmeric, ginger & coconut fish curryA star rating of 3.5 out of 5.16 ratingsServe up this healthy fish curry, with vibrant turmeric, ginger and coconut flavours, for an easy midweek meal. It takes just 30 minutes from prep to plate
- Crispy grilled feta with saucy butter beansA star rating of 4.8 out of 5.22 ratingsStuck in a food rut? Grab a can of butter beans, some feta and passata to make this super-speedy and super-tasty supper. Full of goodness, it’s healthy too
- Pineapple fried riceA star rating of 4.3 out of 5.34 ratingsAdd chunks of fresh pineapple to fried rice to transform it into something special. Serve on its own for a family dinner or as part of a banquet
- Prawn & harissa spaghettiA star rating of 4.6 out of 5.106 ratingsTry our spaghetti dinner for two, with king prawns and harissa dressing. It only takes 20 minutes to make and is healthy too – great for a midweek meal.
- Nutty chicken satay stripsA star rating of 4.7 out of 5.154 ratingsKeep these nutty chicken satay strips in the fridge for a healthy choice when you’re peckish. The chicken is served with cucumber and sweet chilli sauce
- Vegan burgerA star rating of 4 out of 5.13 ratingsMake this fantastic base recipe for a vegan burger and add whatever you fancy – chilli flakes, grated lemon zest or other herbs all work really well
- Smoky tomato gazpachoA star rating of 1 out of 5.1 ratingPack in the goodness with this speedy smoky gazpacho soup, it’s healthy, low in fat and calories, yet full of flavour. Garnish with basil leaves to serve