Healthy Shrimp Pasta Recipes
Howdy, y’all! How goes it? I hope everyone had a fabulous 4th of July! We had a great one here in Charleston. [For some pics of my week, check out my instagram feed!] Today’s plan is to go out on the boat all day but i couldn’t possibly do that without sharing this healthy shrimp pasta recipe.
Because that would just be plain mean, don’t you think? This is one of those dishes I sort of just threw together. Grabbed some cheeses, some milk, some shrimp and pasta and just let the mad scientist in me LOOSE. And guys? The results of said scientific experiement? One of the best dishes I’ve ever made.
Ever. I know. Bold, bold statement. But each bite has such a complexity and depth of flavor, it’s as if I spent hours simmering the creamy, cheesy sauce and picked the shrimp right outta the ocean. I can’t explain or give you reasons why it turned out so magical, I can just say it did and show you sexy photos of it.
This succulent pasta is rich without being heavy, creamy without being fattening and filling without being “too much.” It’s the perfect way to use up your favorite shrimp and the last of your crisp white wine.
Or, in my case, buy a new bottle since I never have just a little bit of wine left. That’s madness.
Healthy Shrimp Pasta Recipe
Serves about 6.
Prep time: 5 – 8 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 12 ounces shrimp, tails removed
- 8 ounces of pasta (I used linguine)
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 5 ounces light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup crisp wine (I used Masi Masianco Pinot Grigio & Verduzzo)
- 3/4 cup shrimp or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 1/3 cup parmesan
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Liberal dashes salt and pepper
- Lemon zest
- Prepare pasta according to box. Rinse and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a medium size 3 quart pan over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and peppers and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add in wine, broth, cream, cream cheese and salt and pepper. Cook until mixture begins to thicken a bit, about 6 minutes. Stir in parmesan, lemon zest and additional salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer another 4 or 5 minutes to thicken up. Remove from heat.
- In a small pan, heat remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Cook shrimp for about 2 – 4 minutes or until done. Remove from pan and add to cream sauce. Add spinach to the small pan and heat just until wilted, about 3 minutes. Toss spinach and shrimp with cream sauce.
- Pour over pasta and enjoy!
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 12.3 grams
Carbohydrates: 33 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Protein: 21 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8
Garlic shrimp tossed in a delectable and light dressing, served with golden pasta. This Shrimp Spaghetti is the perfect weeknight meal that’s easy to make, delicious, and oh so satisfying. Have dinner ready in just 30 minutes with this easy pasta dish.
Shrimp Spaghetti is such a comforting pasta dish, perfect for busy weeknights! Plump, garlicky prawns nestle on a bed of spaghetti, bejeweled with bright red baby tomatoes and vibrant green spinach. It’s simple but loaded with flavor from the seasoned seafood broth. Bright, easy, filling, and so delicious! Don’t like shrimps? Make it with any other protein like chicken or salmon chunks.
If you’re after other shrimp recipes, why not also try my Crispy Baked Coconut Shrimp or my Easy Shrimp Fajitas both also yummy.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS SHRIMP SPAGHETTI
- An easy pasta recipe. Packed with flavor and only a few ingredients, this can be whipped up in less than 30 mins, with minimal cleanup!
- Perfect Shrimp. Quickly cooked shrimp with garlic and paprika, plump, juicy, and delicious!
- Well balanced. Pasta, protein, and veggies make this hearty and full of flavor.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Spaghetti: Or you can use fettuccine.
- Prawns: Peeled and deveined
- Olive Oil
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes: Chopped.
- Veggies: Baby tomatoes and spinach.
- Tomatoes: Grape or plum tomatoes (any tomato you have handy will work)
- Garlic Cloves
- Smoked Paprika
- Seafood Broth
- Lemon Wedges (to serve)
HOW TO MAKE THIS SHRIMP SPAGHETTI
- Cook the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil, add pasta and cook al dente. Rinse, drain, and set aside.
- Cook the broth: In a skillet with oil add garlic, then sun-dried tomatoes, smoked paprika, and broth. Cook until softened.
- Add the prawns and spinach: Add the prawns and spinach to the skillet and cook for about 3 mins.
- Combine with pasta: Add the pasta and toss well, until nicely coated.
WHAT’S THE BEST PASTA FOR THIS SHRIMP PASTA?
I’ve gone with spaghetti but you can go for fettuccine if you like. Long pasta works great. But this recipe certainly can work with other pasta shapes, rotini and fusilli are great choices too. You could also go with a vegetable noodle-like zucchini noodles for a healthier take on this Shrimp Spaghetti recipe. what to serve with this shrimp pasta.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SHRIMP SPAGHETTI
This is a great meal on its own, but you can amp it up with some roast vegetables like this brussels sprouts recipe, asparagus, or zucchini. You can also serve with some whole wheat garlic bread or rolls.
A fresh peppery arugula salad or this black bean tabbouleh salad would complement this Shrimp Spaghetti really well too.
CAN I FREEZE SHRIMP SPAGHETTI?
Properly stored, cooked shrimp will last for 3 to 4 days in the fridge. If you want it to last longer, you can freeze it for up to 6 months. Freeze in covered airtight containers or freezer bags. You can also wrap with aluminum foil or freezer wrap.